PDA

View Full Version : I have been made redundant ...

captain
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi there all. Just wanted to let you know that effective Friday 22nd September, I will no longer be working full time.

Last week, I was called into a meeting, and made redundant. I have been working here for 5 years, and the new CEO has decided to cut 1000 jobs by next year.
So ........... out the door I go.

As a result, I will not be on Pet Talk as much for awhile - whilst I set up my home office, and prepare to do some contract work.
My email address is listed under my profile, so feel free to keep in touch.

Take care all
Michelle

4 Dog Mother
09-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh, Michelle, I am so sorry to hear that. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you start to get your home office up and going. Are you planning on looking for something else or just working from home?

captain
09-18-2006, 09:48 PM
You know, I came in here to delete the thread, because I noticed 33 people READ it, and only one commented.

I am working in a place that obviously did not see my value, and sometimes on PT, it seems to be exactly the same - except for 4/5 Dog Mum (of course!!)
(Sorry, a little bit negative and down .......... as you may understand)

ANYWAY, to answer your question, I will be working from home initially - I need a break as this job was extremely busy all the time - and the break is truly needed. I will be doing some contracting work until January, and then look around.
I actually thought I would be OK with the whole redundancy thing, but the more I think about it, the more I think "HEY, can't you see how good I am?"

ENOUGH
ENOUGH of my moaning. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I am a strong person usually :D

RobiLee
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Ohhh, Michelle, I am so sorry! {{{BIG HUGS FOR YOU}}

I don't even know what to say. I can read the hurt in your words, especially in your second post. I'm just now getting on PT and responded as soon as I read your thread. I know there will be others that will see this and be posting also. There are lots of people here who care about you.

Go ahead and be angry and negative for a bit if you need to be. It is certainly understandable. That must have been a huge blow for you. I know you will be ok. Who knows..maybe your contract work from home will turn into a booming business.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending out lots of positive vibes just for you. Pm me or email me anytime!

Hugs....Robin

Bengalz
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Although at the moment it may not feel so, please remember that when one door closes, the opportunity to open another presents it self.

Your deserve a rest :) Take the time to enjoy life and ponder your next steps. Perhaps this is just the break you need :)

Whatever your decision, it will be a good one. Sending positive thoughts and wishes for better days :)

Betty

Lady's Human
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Captain,

I read your thread earlier, and honestly did not know how to respond, so I didn't.
It's not a lack of caring, it's simply the fact that I am LOUSY at offering condolences and cheering people up.

Hopefully your contracting work will develop new leads, and I'm sure you won't have any problems getting another job. Maybe you'll find that you like contract work better and make it your own business? You never know what life will give you for opportunities.

Corinna
09-18-2006, 10:36 PM
I can understand that I got my sil hired at my work now I got my hours cut.
Ok he needs to take care of the baby I only need to pay car payment and fun money.
Working for your self can be very rewarding or very demanding all depends on your own drive and self disipline. Good luck to you ! you have great assistants to help you makr sure you don't over work.

gini
09-18-2006, 10:39 PM
LH - see that was a really GOOD post - I am sure it made Michelle feel better.

Michelle - of course, it would be a punch in the stomach - but don't let them do this to you.

It isn't like you were fired for non-performance - they are downsizing. God, how I hate that word.

Keep your self confidence afloat - and approach your home consulting work - and keep your ears to the ground - never know what will cross your path as news for another position - or an opportunity to make your consulting work full time.

You know, as the years have gone by (they are screaming by me now), I have learned that the old saying about one door shutting - only opens a window - a window of opportunity and a happier life.

Just remember that when you are home - you do have to get dressed sometime during the day! :D :D

I don 't mean to make light of any of this - my heart goes out to you - but you are strong - and will see this through.

You came to the right place - and all of us are behind you!

captain
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Just remember that when you are home - you do have to get dressed sometime during the day! :D :D

OMG - that sure made me laugh out loud!!!

Thank you all. I am abit down today, which is very very unlike me .......... and I thank you all for your positive words.

I have printed them out, and will put them on the wall in my study at home - and look at them when I am still wearing my pyjamas at Noon :D

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Just remember that when you are home -
you do have to get dressed sometime during the day!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

You DO!?? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

Whatever for?
Ya just have to "listen" for traffic & "watch" for walkers on the road
when ya <step out> on the porch to observe the Dawgs.

Been caught WAY to far away from the door (wearing my Not Much outfit)
a tyme or two too many! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif

Don't sweat it, Cap - Dress for Comfort!
And ENJOY a lil down time before you worry too much!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

gini
09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't know how many times my doorbell has rung and I am sitting still in my jammies and robe - and I run around like a maniac - getting dressed - to find

THE JEHOVAH WITNESSES AT MY DOOR!!!!

Bless them all - I don't want to have to make a public apology over this!

K9karen
09-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Oh Michelle, my friend, I could never ignore you. I know the feeling and it doesn't feel great. Especially from a company who bribed me away from my old job with kept promises, but after 9/11, a sudden layoff, yours truly being #2. *Sigh*. Talk about a blow to the ego. No tears until I stepped into the house. Of course they NEED you, they're just too stupid to see it! Ah! Just wait! They'll be sorry.... :mad:

But, and here's the good news..I love being home. It's not what I ever thought my "future" would be, and I will hit the work force after my wrist heals, but there's nothing better than comfy slippers, a tee shirt, or pjs..whatever. Wait! There's the morning coffee or tea and then the paper or a magazine and, and then puppy hgs and kisses to hand out...Oh so much delightful work to do!

Have fun decorating your at home office! Don't forget to check in because you'll be missed. "All work and no play..." so we'll keep you in our happy prayers if you keep us in yours. Our wonderful thunder from downunder! {HUGGIES}

cloverfdx
09-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Michelle i am so sorry {{Hugs}}. you will be missed around here, and hopefully you can check in every now and then. You will be in my thoughts.

Pam
09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
You know, I came in here to delete the thread, because I noticed 33 people READ it, and only one commented.

I'm so glad you didn't! I just saw it now and I would have missed the opportunity to offer my support to you. I have never heard of the word redundant used in this way but I guess it is just a more up-to-date politically correct way to say it nowadays. :rolleyes: Ya gotta love people who hope to improve the bottom line by booting people out. I know it must feel like a terrible blow right now, but I do believe that all things happen for a reason.

I have never been one to be able to say the correct thing at times like this but I just wanted to let you know that you will be missed and we will certainly be looking for some good news in the future. My co-worker's hubby was laid off (old term :rolleyes: ) and was out of work for about seven months. He is now happier than ever in his new job. I hope you will soon be able to report the same thing. In the meantime enjoy your time in your jammies and getting lots of cuddling time with the spotties. :)

critter crazy
09-19-2006, 07:39 AM
I am so sorry, but this is just an oppurtunity for you to get a better job, or do something you enjoy more. Look at it as a good thing, i did when i lost my job in april. Good luck!

Logan
09-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Michelle, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It is tough when it happens and I certainly have been there, myself. Keep your chin up and enjoy the change of pace. I hope that people will be lining up at your door for contract work and you won't even have to think about going back to working for someone else.

I worked out of my home for at least 5 years. Yes, at times it is hard to keep focus (with the animals around, especially), but I'm sure you'll be fine!!! :)

Keep us posted on how you are doing, please.

Logan

Vermontcat
09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Michelle, I have to admit that I was one of the original 33 people who viewed your thread but didn't reply. I'm one of those people who lurks when I have the time but I need to think a bit before I post a reply. I'm so sorry to hear about the job but look at the bright side, now you will be able to see U2 when they tour Australia in November! :)
Have you caught up on the recent news of them recording new material in the Abbey Road studios in London? A lot of fans have been very lucky to meet the band there this past week. One fan in particular had been in a car accident the week before and was very upset that her parents didn't even care about her, then she got to meet all four band members and she went from the lowest low to the highest high! :D
So hopefully this is just a short term thing and that good things are in your future too. I always crank up the U2 tunes when I'm feeling down, I suggest you do the same thing.
Sending hugs your way. :)

Rachel
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
My husband worked in his career for more than 20 years and handled numberous positions of considerable responsibility with success when it was determined that he was no longer needed. Of course it was a blow emotionally and financially, but he picked himself up, dusted himself off and eventually found other employment. He also found that he was less stressed and ever so much happier.

Feeling the way you feel is normal, but as other doors open, you may find that this was the start of a new life which will suit you just fine and where you will be appreciated for your skills and contributions. You know how valuable you were. Don't let anything or any body convince you otherwise.

((hugs))

p.s. Sometimes people read but just don't have the time to reply. They read because they care or they wouldn't even open the thread. That's the way I am anyway.

Cataholic
09-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Michelle, I saw your post first thing this morning, and am responding immediately. I have NO idea where you came up with the "I'm nobody at PT" theory, as I, for one, don't feel that way about you at all. Now, **I** am sad that I haven't been more warm towards you. :(

But, this isn't about me, and I am so sorry you have been let go. All the cliches, its a 'good thing', blah, blah, are pretty much meaningless right now, since most of us equate our worth with our career. Not so.

So, something will come along, it has to, and who knows- maybe one day you will say, "it was the best thing to happen to me".

In the meantime, pull out the sweats (is it cold there?LOL), get the office set up, and get the word out.

Keeping you in my thoughts,
Johanna

ChrisH
09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Michelle, I just saw this. I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Sending positive thoughts and prayers that it all turns out to be a cloud with a silver lining. {{hugs}}
Chris

Russian Blue
09-19-2006, 09:03 AM
First...(((hugs))). ;) As Catoholic stated many people do equate their self worth with their career and when something happens their whole life is turned over. Do your pity party, have a few drinks and start seeing this event as an opportunity. Just like the company can change your world in an instant you can do the same in your life, but under your own controls!

I'm going to be one who will say that when one door closes another opens. To give you a great example, the same thing happened to my husband last year. He's a QA manager for two manufacturing facilities and one day, out of the blue, he was replaced and sent over to only manage the one facility. In essence, his job was cut in half and he felt he was on his way out because of his management style.

A year later, this was the best thing that could have happened to him. He is more respected now since he was able to take on other projects that he wouldn't have had time for in his old job. He also has way more exposure since he's working with various departments that he never worked with before. He is very happy now but he thought he was being replaced and eventually would be let go. Just the opposite happened.

It's always important to turn a rather negative situation into a positive. I believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe this will allow you, like my husband, to explore areas that you never had time for in the past. The future is yours, but you have to want to make the first step! ;)

anna_66
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I am working in a place that obviously did not see my value, and sometimes on PT, it seems to be exactly the same
Well, be glad that you won't be working at that place any more then! You worked way too hard to not be valued for the wonderful person you truly are:)
And never think that you aren't a valuable friend to me because you DEFINATELY are! I've missed our nightly chats (I've been so busy lately & I know you have too) and maybe once you get all set up at home we can start those chats again.

I'm not a good one with words but know that I care deeply for you and your family and wish only the best for you.

Big Hugs and BIG slurps from the furkids!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/grouphug.gif
Love Anna

pitc9
09-19-2006, 09:37 AM
{{hugs}} to you!
I'm so sorry to hear life has delt you a bad hand.
Please keep your chin up and remember... things happen for a reason! :D
I wish you all the luck in the world!

caseysmom
09-19-2006, 09:39 AM
You know what they say, when a door closes another one opens. I know that it will be rough but you will get through. We are all cheering you on.

ChrisH
09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
A message from your pal Bob
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/IMG_0443.jpg

Chin up!

caseysmom
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Chris, That is so cute and thoughtful.

gini
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Chris, if that doesn't cheer Michelle up - nothing will!!

Jadapit
09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm so sorry this has happened to you also, I hate that your feelings were hurt here on PT. Its no fun when that happens. :( I care about you and wish you only the best. (((Hugs)))

Blue_Frog
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about losing your job -- it sux. lots!!

I was downsized in 2001 from a technical support job, when they pulled 86 people into a room and told us all to go home (with a smile on the face of the guy who was from another office doing the firing i might add!). I went through being really really angry, and upset (i loved that job!), and just plain cranky. Then I took my severance package and ran away to California for a month, came back with a clear head and started looking for a new job.

Best wishes -- things will work out for ya! :)

lizbud
09-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I know how hard it is to NOT
take in personally when something like this happens in the job market, but I
hope you come to realize that it trully isn't.It is not what we do in life, but who we are inside that really matters in the long run.I do hope this turns into
a great unseen blessing in your life and opens opportunities you never dreamed could happen. So like Chris's Bob says, chin up. ((HUGS))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/IMG_0443.jpg

Karen
09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
It's a rotten feeling, isn't it? I got "restructured" in February, kinda being "made redundant, but from a much smaller company.

You'll be in our prayers as new opportunities open up for you!

captain
09-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I sit here at work with tears in my eyes - thank you all for your kinds words, thoughts, prayers and HUGS.
Last night I was thinking about my post, and thought I should really keep myself away from the internet when I am feeling down.
HOWEVER, this morning, seeing all your responses, and messages of support made me realise that sometimes it is good to share your "moan" ... :D

Chris,

Thank You, Thank You - I have printed darlin Bob out, and put him up at my desk ........... that sure made me bawl even more.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL - from the bottom of my heart.

Cincy'sMom
09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Michelle, I didnt see this until now. I sorry to hear about your job. I know it is hard, but try to see the positive in it, and enjoy some extra time with the puppers! Lots of good thoughts coming your way!

Dorothy39
09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Captain, Oh , Captain,

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your Plight. I read it , but didn't know how to respond.

I wanted to tell you about my second cousin, who was " Put down a notch" in the company she worked for.

She was really feeling gloomy~~~ and didn't tell me when it happened to her. I only found out after I sent her a Birthday Card in the mail.

she decided to "work for herself", using the very same skills that got her into the upper crust in the first place.

I saw her, (at a funeral :( ), and she was very happy that she made the choice. She had the chance to rest up before organizing a spare bedroom and getting a grip on Self Employment.

We did laugh, too, about how she doesn't have to wear "fancy clothing" to work, doesn't have to comform to a new boss now and then, and , doesn't have to worry about her cats!!!!!

Catty1
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Captain - there is a comic strip over here in NA called "Adam@home". It is about a man who has a home office, and his wife works outside the home. They have two kids in school, and one baby at home.

I think you would enjoy looking at the strip - and I think the reason it is so popular is that so many people are "working@home"!

http://www.uclick.com/feature/06/09/15/ad060915.gif

http://www.uclick.com/feature/06/09/19/ad060919.gif

Dorothy39
09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
catty 1,

My second cousins' maiden name was ------Adams!!!!! :eek:

I'll have to tell her about that comic strip!!!! ;) ~she would love it!!!

RICHARD
09-20-2006, 03:15 AM
While it's tough to follow an animal act...

HEY SIS,
I got the ax last Thursday?

Want to run away from home? :D

captain
09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Thank you all so much once again ...........

Richard, did I miss something ............ am I having a brain fuzz? Really, did you get the ax or it that a metaphor for something ........ :confused: :D

RICHARD
09-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you all so much once again ...........

Richard, did I miss something ............ am I having a brain fuzz? Really, did you get the ax or it that a metaphor for something ........ :confused: :D

Now, why would I be keeping "aussie hours" (Staying up all night and hibernating untill noon)!!!

Yes, Two days short of thirty years.....I got the AX....but the missed me when they swung.... :eek: ;)

captain
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
OMGoodness - so basically what that means is that the two BEST WORKERS in the universe got the AXE in the same week.

Uh Oh - the world is coming to a halt ........... :D

30 years!!!!!
So, you started working when you were 2???? :D :p

Welcome to Aussie hours Mate :D

jazzcat
09-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh Michelle, I'm just now seeing this. I'm so sorry.

I'm not the best with words of wisdom or cheering people up but I want you to know that I'm sorry and I'm thinking of you.

I think you must know you are mighty special to get such a treat from Bob! :)

Hugs and headbumpies from Tennessee!!

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Michelle, I'm also just now seeing this. I'm sorry that this has happened :( but maybe it's for the best. I hope that you'll continue to do well with your work whether it be at home or with another company. Please take care and continue to post on PT because you'll be very much missed if you don't. Take care. (((HUGS)))

Randi
09-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I saw this the other day, but Fister distracted me - well, I was about to panic about my own jobsituation, but today, the temp. agency rang. :)

Michelle, it's just not fair, but as Gini says: Keep your self confidence afloat - and approach your home consulting work - and keep your ears to the ground. In a few weeks you'll be busy again, and you may even enjoy it! :D

Best of luck!!

captain
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Catty1,
WOW - that was so funny - I have been onto the comic site and looked at them all. Thank you.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I am cheering up, it is my last day today (or tomorrow for all of you in the USA).

All of a sudden friends have been calling me and asking me for assistance. So, I should be OK for awhile ......... and yes, probably will start something by myself for awhile - unless someone offers me stacks of cash to do something else :D

Thanks all.
Take Care
Michelle

ChrisH
09-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Good luck! Be thinking of you, please keep in touch.

Chris, Bob and the Ebbs.

Killearn Kitties
09-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm really sorry to hear your news. I away just now and haven't read the whole thread, but will catch up once I get home.

Just wanted to send good luck.

moosmom
09-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh Michelle, I'm sorry you lost your job! :( This Bush economy sucks bigtime. Alot of companies are downsizing and it's taking it's toll on alot of people. I'm glad you're able to set up a home office and freelance. Good luck to you!!