View Full Version : So sad, dog for adoption

Tralee
09-13-2006, 07:42 PM
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/ME02/ME02.6563369-1-x.jpg
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/ME02/ME02.6563369-2-x.jpg

Labrador Retriever,Poodle Mix

Size: Large
ID:

Notes: AGE: 12 months WEIGHT: 57 lbs CHILDREN under 4: No (too much activity for him) CHILDREN OVER 4: Yes SEPARATION ANXIETY: No OTHER DOGS: Yes (MUST have another dog as company) CATS: Yes CRATE TRAINED:Yes HOUSE TRAINED: Learning OBEDIENCE TRAINED: Not LEASH TRAINED: Learning ATTENDING OBEDIENCE: No MICROCHIPPED: No ADOPTION FEE: $300 8/17/06 - Hoover is a 12 month old Labradoodle (Labrador, Poodle cross) that came into rescue 6/25/06 from a puppy mill in Missouri(this is one of the awful places were all the pet store puppies come from). He spent his first 10 months of his life in the mill and was rescued by a wonderful couple, Julie & Jeff from Missouri, who rescue dogs from the mills & get them to rescues. Hoover was neutered, tested negative for heartworm/lyme & was updated on his shots & got a clean bill of health. He did have some type of injury in his back at some point as he has a big scar across the top of his back/hip area (can see bald spot in the pictures). We are not sure what happened, but he does not seem to have any issues with walking or being touched in that area. He is a very gentle soul & is learning to be loved by people & not just left alone with dogs. Hoover MUST have another friendly dog to be his companion too, as he gets so much comfort from the other dogs. If you take him away from the other dogs, he gets very nervous & refuses to do much but hide or shake & quiver. It's so sad how not having much (if any) human contact can make a dog be so scared of people and normal every day things. He will also need a fenced yard as he is too much of a flight risk and may never overcome that. The good news is he is I have had him here at my house for about 10 days to try to socialize him more & he is now learning to walk a little bit on a leash. Before he would completely freeze & shake & you could not move him without having to drag him. He is also getting the hang of my 4 steps from the kitchen to head to the outer room to go out. At first he would not even try to go up or down them, now as long as one of my 2 dogs are heading up or down the steps, Hoover is right there to follow them! :) Hoover is going to need someone with a lot of patience to work with him. He is great in his crate & goes in no problem (you actually have to CLOSE his crate when he is out of it or he will try to hide back in it). He has never shown any aggressiveness or attitude, even when he is scared or nervous, but since he is so skittish around activity in the house, it would be best for him to go to a home without any young children. He is great with my cats (actually is scared of them!) & is learning to be housetrained too. You can see by his pictures he does not have the curly poodle hair, more of the lab style hair, but longer & whispy. Hoover has come a long way in the past couple months he has been in rescue & is looking for that loving home to come along & ask for him.

elizabethann
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
My sister always wanted a Labradoodle. There is one that works with her at the garden center. I guess it's a real sweetheart. Too bad you weren't in NH. She'd probably take a look at him. I hope he finds a home. It's nice of to try to find him a home. Good luck.

elizabethann
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey wait....are you in Maine or Missouri??

If you're in Maine, I will send this to my sister. Are you in Maine?

JenBKR
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
What a sweet dog! Where is he? What state? I'm not sure if I really have the $300 adoption fee right now, but I can look into it and talk to hubby (we have talked on and off about getting a 2nd dog).....

Tralee
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Yes I'm in Maine. Here is the rescue information
Second Chance Boxer Rescue - New England
Woolwich, ME
877-281-3146
[email protected]

elizabethann
09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I am going to send this to my sister and see what she thinks! Thanks!