PDA

View Full Version : What did they do to my chocolate?

catnapper
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh no! The most horrendous thing imaginable happened today -- I bought a value pack of Reese's Cup at Walmart this morning. I was so happy to splurge on chocolate (hey, we all know its the best medicine around! ;) ) I put my treasure in the 'fridge to chill for an hour or so.... I just ran to retrieve my cool treat and almost cried. It can't be true, but it HAS to be: the cups are smaller. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know for sure, I shold probably run out to another store and buy some cups there for comparison (:D) but I swear these cups are smaller!

Horrors! What did they do? I would have gladly paid an additional 25 cents for the right sized cups! What is this world coming to????

First my Reese's cups shrink, what next? Less marshmallows in my hot chocolate? Oh the humanity of it all!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Life can be so cruel at times ;)

Maresche
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
It must be one of the seven signs of the Apocolypse.

Seriously, I don't like it when company's change something behind the scenes and call it "New and Improved" when it clearly isn't. I'm all about brand loyalty.

elizabethann
09-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Just shoot me now!!!! NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :(

Donnaj4962
09-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes, I have been in a depressed state since discovering this fact last week! I cannot believe that they would make the cups smaller! I was simply appalled! AND.... I bought the "value pack" at Kroger, same price as usual.... $1.00.... but there were only 8 cups instead of the usual 10! And then to find the cups were smaller! What has happened? :confused: I, for only a fleeting moment, thought of boycotting buying any more. :eek: Within a moment, I realized that although the cups are smaller, they still taste the same and I cannot be without my chocolate and p'nut butter fix! :D

I feel your pain Catnapper.... I feel your pain. :(

Karen
09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Write to the company! Protest, protest, protest!

Remember how quickly Coke rescinded "New coke?"

Just think how much money they must have spent on all new molds and machinery and resizing packaging ...

Bet the smaller cups do have less calories ... those finks!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Not Reeses peanut butter cups!!!!!!! They are my favorite way to destress! (Although the bags get me into trouble ;) ).

I've noticed companies are using cheaper ingredients/ making things smaller rather than raising the price.

kimlovescats
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
A helpful hint: Buy the Sam's Choice (Wal-Mart brand)BAG of peanut butter cups! They are WONDERFUL, much cheaper, and you can eat them by the handfuls!!! :D

catnapper
09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Karen, I hadn't thought of firing off an email -- I just did that! Man it felt good! :D

I accused them of ruining an American Classic! LOL

Laura's Babies
09-12-2006, 01:01 PM
5# bags of sugar have become 4# bags... A pound of coffee is now 12 ounces.......NOW RESSE'S? :eek: (I think we are not suppose to notice the differance!)

sirrahbed
09-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Reese's are my favorite candy!! I have not had one for awhile so will have to buy it and weep I guess.

Good idea about writing the company - I will do that, too. But first, I need a Reese's Peanut Butter cup! :p

RICHARD
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I love rocky road candy bars.

they took out the black cardboard backing in the packaging....
I loved the smell of it...

B@ST@RDS!

Karen
09-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I love rocky road candy bars.

they took out the black cardboard backing in the packaging....
I loved the smell of it...

B@ST@RDS!

What's a rocky road candy bar?

RICHARD
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
What's a rocky road candy bar?

WHAT??????

Wait a minute!

A RRCB is a marshmallow bar dipped in chocolate and nuts.

If you slice one up and put it in between graham crackers and nuke them
you get a smore with nuts in it!

Dorothy39
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
My Lord, I do remember Rocky Road Candy Bars!!!!!!

I can relate to the despair felt when we find out there is An "Incredible Shrinking Disorder" going on.

Remember how big an Ice Cream Sandwich used to be? How about those Ice Cream sundae cones? Yep, they are smaller !!!

so now, it is Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups!!!!!! :eek

Pretty soon, we will have to be happy with just the "Hole" from our Life Savors!!!!!!! :eek:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I've noticed companies are using cheaper ingredients/ making things smaller rather than raising the price.
Here they do all that but they still raised the prices!!! :(

We can blame the media for some of this by gripping about people being too fat!!!

lizbud
09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, as long as they don't mess with my 3 Musketeers Minis, I'm cool. :)

Dorothy39
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Heavens!!! Don't even mention that !!!!

When I was just a " little tot" , my parents laughed at me for craving 3 Musketeer Bars!!!( I still enjoy them) :D

They told me that , 3 Musketeer Bars , "used " to be, 3 seperate Candy Bars, wrapped together. :eek:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=795497

momoffuzzyfaces
09-12-2006, 05:28 PM
A bunch of us may have to gang up and whup up on them if they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

lizbud
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
A bunch of us may have to gang up and whup up on them if they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Darn tootin ..... :D

critter crazy
09-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I love three muskateers!! My favorite of all candy bars!! Butterfinger runs a close second! he he he!!

Almita
09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Well if they mess with my Crunch Bars then there's definetley going to be a protest! They better not be messing with the food we love to eat and make them smaller and expensive!

Pembroke_Corgi
09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Here they do all that but they still raised the prices!!! :(

We can blame the media for some of this by gripping about people being too fat!!!

I forget which yougart brand did this... maybe yoplait, they changed their 8 oz. cups to 6 oz. cups because "people like it better that way." Yeah right! :D Who likes getting less for their money?!

Sevaede
09-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Oh no! :(

I am sad every time I think I get juked out of my salt and vinegar on my Pringles. :D

Vette
09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
So im not the only one that has thought this!!

also other things as well..
such as a can of tuna,, i swear used to have more tuna in it then it does now a days.

i think have redused the amount/size in a lot of stuff...
thinking we notice :mad:

or at least thats how i look at things. ;) :p

sandragonfly
09-14-2006, 08:40 PM
whew, don't kat kit me! :p

or have they changed... ?? :( haven't had one for quite a while! I had a couple once a year anyway.

sorry catnapper!

dukedogsmom
09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
You haven't had good peanut butter cups until you've tried the WalMart brand. They use real peanut butter and thicker chocolate and are delicious! Now I'm wanting some.

cyber-sibes
09-15-2006, 02:37 PM
5# bags of sugar have become 4# bags... A pound of coffee is now 12 ounces.......I noticed this too! Ice cream is like that now - no more "quarts" are real quarts. And sometimes they switch to listing it in metric units just to make it even more confusing! :mad:
They don't realize just how all this will impact the sweet craving masses! I need a candy bar...

cyber-sibes
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
In honor of this thread I bought some snack-size heath bars (one of my favorites) at the grocery store tonight and ate a couple in the parking lot. Purely for research, you know. :D
My research conclusion is that they have shrunk, too. They're almost as thin as a Kit Kat stick. :o

catnapper
09-20-2006, 09:03 AM
I finally got an email response from Hershey regarding my concerns about the reduced size of my Reeses cup.

Just over 100 years ago, Milton S. Hershey founded a business to manufacture and sell quality chocolate products. He began with just three products -- HERSHEY'S sweet chocolate, HERSHEY'S baking chocolate and HERSHEY'S cocoa -- and the determination to sell them at an affordable price. Over the past century, the company he founded has continued this tradition of offering consumers both quality and value. Today, as so many years ago, consumers know that the name HERSHEY'S stands for the best in taste and quality at a price they can afford.

It is The Hershey Company policy to offer the best possible value for consistently high-quality products. The costs of most ingredients and packaging materials have been rising as well as costs for marketing and shipping. Despite the weight reduction our products continue to be an excellent value for the consumer.

Your interest in our company is appreciated.
Boy, all they did was send me a form letter. No coupons or anything else! and it took a week to respond! hmph!

anna_66
09-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Pretty soon, we will have to be happy with just the "Hole" from our Life Savors!!!!!!! :eek:
LOL this had me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/rofl.gif Dorthy! It's just about the truth now!

gini
09-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I also noticed the weight difference on cat food. The regular sized can used to be 6 oz. - no more - it is 5 1/2 oz. Rascal complained!!!

And what was with the "small" rolls of toilet paper? Why would we want those? I noticed that they have slowly disappeared.

What used to be a regular roll of toilet paper is now called a DOUBLE ROLL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Inflation is under control? I have noticed a roughly 10% increase across the board on many standard items we buy.