PDA

View Full Version : growth on lower eye lid

furby88
09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Last night I noticed a small growth on my cats lower eye lid. He's 12 yrs old and I was just wondering what this was? I've been doing research and all I can find is stuff about tumors that could be cancerous. It's very very small, I thought it was just stuff in his eye but when I went to rub it away it aws hard and didn't move. It didn't seem to hurt him when I touched it. Does anyone have any ideas? Also how soon should I take him to the vet? He also has been getting really bad mats that I've been brushing out for over two weeks now, if anyone has any ideas on how to get them out it would be great! He's a miserable fat cat, so cutting them out isn't really an option. :-)

Thanks!!

jenluckenbach
09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
The eyelid might have a wart. I would not necessarily RUSH to a vet about it, but have it looked out whenever the cat gets checked again.

Heavy cats (and older cats, and yours seems like both) get matted easier because they cannot groom themselves as well as they should. Comb the mats out with a metal shedding comb. Resist cutting them with scissors because it is SUPER easy to cut the skin as well. If necesary have your vet SHAVE them out with a clipper blade (much safer). then the eye could be looked at the same time.

Laura's Babies
09-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Great advice Jen!

furby88
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Cats can get warts? I've had cats all my life and have never had a wart on them, weird. Ok that makes me feel a lot better though. As far as his mats go I've been working on him with a slicker brush that says it will help with mats. I tried the whole shaving him with the clipper blade, that lasted about two minutes before he caught on to what I was doing. Thanks for the advise!