PDA

View Full Version : What are Border Collies like to live with?

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
I love Border Collies but people keep advising me against getting one ever because most of the ones that we meet around here are somewhat 'neurotic' or something. Almost everyone I know used to blame Tango's fears and other things based on the fact that she is half Border Collie...I don't think it has anything to do with that, to be completely honest. She has got the energy level of the Border Collie and a lot of other similarities. I often refer to her as my Border Collie in disguise...lol. I'm pretty sure I could handle a well bred Border Collie and would love to have one..especially since I want to compete in agility (Not that I can't do it with a Toller or a Belgian, but Border Collies excel at it usually). However, I would like to know what they're really like, as I've only ever met one with a nice temperament before and it was brief. Are they as neurotic as most think they are? Are they naturally very fearful and skittish of everything? I don't really have any specific questions besides those, but if you have any information that you can share with me it would be greatly appreciated. Reading about them over the internet as helped somewhat, but most of the sites say the same things over and over again and don't really say much about their temperaments except that they're active, they need constant exercise, etc. All of which I already know.

wolf_Q
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
My friend has an aussie/border collie mix. He's very intense, and sensitive about everything. He wants you to throw a ball for him 24/7 and he won't take no for an answer. If he's playing frisbee he gets VERY focused on that, nothing else matters. He will get upset if people yell or if he even thinks they are mad at him. It's not unusual for him to pee a little or release his anal glands if he's very nervous or scared. If he doesn't get taken to the park to play frisbee often enough he'll get upset and start chewing on himself (to the point his paws were bleeding and oozing).

He was rather skittish when she first adopted him at 6 months old but now he's very confident and friendly....so much that he jumps in everyone's face lol. He's also very intelligent, I could see him excelling at flyball or agility if she trained him in it.

I don't know if that helped or not.......he's a mix too, but he's always seemed more border collie in personality to me. I LOVE Cisco as if he's my own dog, he's the perfect dog for my friend. But are they for me? I really don't think I can handle a herding breed right now, I'll stick with huskies.

zoomer
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't own a Border Collie right now, but when I was at my uncle's house we found one, called her Merle and wow... she was VERY high energy! She'd grab anything she could (sticks, shoes, balls, frisbees, ANYTHING, toy or not. She even tried to drag a scooter over to me. I would throw it 2000 times and she'd still want to play with you. If I wouldn't play with her, she'd throw whatever she decided to play with up in the air and catch it, she'd play with herself. And as for the balls, she'd put it between her paws and spring it into the air by squeezing it. She really entertained me, her high energy and how smart she was! The bucket of water for her to drink, she layed in. If you don't play with them, they'll find a way to play with themselves. And if they ever get boerd of that, you've got a problem. They must be entertained at all times! They are very high maintnance dogs. As said below, they'll chew on themselves until they're bleeding and oozing. They must be with you and entertained at all times, there's no stopping point until bedtime. Having a Border Collie is like having a shadow with you. Rain & shine.

Here's a few websites all about Living with Border Collies
Living with Border Collies (http://www.bordercollie.org/lwbc.html)
Border Collie Characteristics (http://www.bordercollie.org/bcchar.html)

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks you guys :) Lol..from both of your descriptions, Border Collies sounds exactly like Tango so far....and really not overly different from a Toller either. I've never seen the first link you posted Zoomer, so I'm off to look at it now.

LeahMM
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I just happen to live with 3 Border Collies and 2 Aussies. They require alot of exercise as well as mental stimulation so I combine obedience with play. They will also settle down nicely when I want them too. Unfortunately we dont have time for herding trials or agility trials but we do have alot of agility equipment that we have them practice on. All of my dogs, except my foster, went through 3 levels of obedience training which I recommend for everyone. I love my dogs but they are definately not for everyone. They are always with me when I'm at home and sometime it gets a bit overwhelming but I would have nothing else.

cloverfdx
08-31-2006, 08:25 AM
What the others said ;). I think if you can handle a Toller you could handle a nice natured BC.. in my experience with both breeds they are quite similar.

When Tinny first arrived to us she did the whole leg chewing from stress thing aswell.... thankfully that has completly stopped. Both E & T are obsessive and if there are balls and toys around they will want to play (Tinny more than El)... we have to have toy/ ball free time after about 9PM at night and they dont get bought out until the next day.

The weak nerves in alot of BCs worries me, Elvis will break down if he gets a fright and will collapse to the ground and wont get up. Tinny on the other hand has pretty strong nerves and can handle almost anything.

I think thats about all for now.. if i think of any thing else i will add more later.

many dogs
09-02-2006, 09:01 AM
I hade a wonderful border named Breeze. She was agreat dog. However I lived on a 60 acre farm and there was plenty for her to do. These dogs are highly motivated. They like to be busy. If they don't have a job to do they will invent one! I have known some of these dogs to chase cars just because they need something to herd. If you get a border I sugjest getting a puppy. These dogs need to bond young or they don't truely bond. I loved Breeze. When I hurt my back and had to give up my farm. I found a home for her on a farm because I knew she would not do well in a quiet setting with limited mobility. Think very hard. Do you have alot of time to spend with a dog?

LeahMM
09-02-2006, 09:52 AM
If you get a border I sugjest getting a puppy. These dogs need to bond young or they don't truely bond.

I have to disagree with this statement. Two of my borders and 1 of my Aussies were rescues at 2 years old. With the obedience training and much time spent together the bonding was incredible. I did aquire Cody as a puppy and it was a horrible experience, never again will I get a puppy. The group I volunteer for has many wonderful adult Borders in foster care including Alex my foster. Good luck with your decision.

cali
09-02-2006, 11:00 AM
when it comes to BCs its their breeding that matters. the ones that are bred FOR sports are the ones that are neurotic, it's because the breeder breed the highest drive most focased dogs they can find, for example Happys sister just had a litter of pups, Happys lines are known to have aggressive, extremly difficult to handle dogs, she was bred to the highest drive sport bred BC I have ever met, obvioulsy these pups are going to be insane and difficult.

a good working BC breeder shouldent have that problem, they cant very well have an aggrssive dogs that skittish of everything or trialing would be difficult as there is a test in herding trials that involves 2 dogs that dont know each other(one dog has to lift the sheep off the other) nor will the dogs succeed if they attack the sheep, or they are so crazy the sheep are frightend. but withing working breeders there is still a differnce, with sheep bred BC they will be calmer and lower to the ground, they are the ones that focas so intensly on everything. however cattle bred are a it more loopy, they are not as calm and quiet as the sheep bred because they have to keep animals 5 times their size in line, they are also more upright, and while they retain lots of focus they are not as obbessive.

for someones 1st BC a puppy is NOT reccomened, BC puppyhood is very trying, and that when most wind up dumped for a reason. an older rescue BC is usally the best option for first timers.

wolfsoul
09-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I've never had a BC but my mom has one and I am around them all the time at work and during classes and trials and such. I find them to be quite nice dogs when bred properly. At work, there is hardly a single male BC I like. I don't know what it is, but it's rare we don't get a male BC that isn't a complete freak. Most of the females are lovely dogs and do exactly what they are told. They aren't the greatest first-time agility dogs but then neither is a Belgian lol. Belgians are harder to control drive and impulse-wise, BCs are harder to control speed and movement-wise -- they don't arch their jumps, so they tend to knock bars. I must say, the only thing I couldn't handle about a well-bred BC is the fetch drive. Too much ball stick ball stick ball stick for me.

cyber-sibes
09-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I adopted a B/c mix after my rottie-aussie died. I took him to training the whole month he was here, he's obviously a very smart dog, just a handful. He was extremely driven and very competitive for attention. He started to annoy Star by peeing on her doghouse, pooping next to her door, diving in and eating all her food, and barking non-stop. We couldn't pet Star without him knocking her out of the way. Poor thing, she got quite depressed, stopped eating, got hot spots, and even refused to get in the car with him for a trips to the dogpark. She finally bit him in the face, so after it healed, I returned him before either of them really got hurt. He was then adopted by a young single man in town- and I doubt I'd ever consider another b/c. Like huskies, they're not the breed for everyone - and I'll stick to my huskies, thank you! :)

Jessika
09-08-2006, 02:57 PM
If BCs are anything like Aussies (and I'm pretty sure they are!) then they will need a LOT of training as young as possible, do NOT slack in training, and establish that you are alpha right off the bat. If you get that done, everything else should be fine. But just don't slack in training! And keep them stimulated or the consequences will be.... well, expensive, lets just leave it at that LOL

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone :). Just going by everything you guys said, they don't seem to be overly different from a Toller as far as a lot of things go. I'm quite used to dealing with tons of energy already because of Tango, too - so I don't think that would be a problem for me, I love highly active dogs.

Tralee
09-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Toby was rescued at 11 months old. He was originally from a BYB, sold to a pet store. A family bought him, they had good intentions, but did not have the time and space to properly work his body and mind. Toby herded the small children and nipped one of the children. The owners sent him to the shelter. He was then rescued from the shelter, and we adopted him from the rescue.
Toby is very social, and loves people. he gets along with all dogs and loved to run and play. He is very outgoing and loves to be the center of attention. He settles very well in the house, regardless if he is tired. Toby loves to play ball and I'm doing agility training with him. Somthing that I have noticed even though he is very intelligent he is harder to train then my ES Lady. (Lady has a bigger desire to please) You need to be very accurate for him. In agility my commands need to be the same every single time or he may not do it.

Having a border collie is a very big commitment, they need to have metal stimulation and exerise every day. I can tell when toby hasn't had enough exercise, he gets very antsy and starts his obsessive shadow and light chasing. When he has had proper stimulation all the obbsessive behaviors dissapear.
I would reconmend this message board for border collie info
http://bcrescue.org/phpbb2/index.php

ETA- My crazy boy got his CGC over the summer :)

BORDER COLLIE LOVER
09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I have 3 borders and am about to get another. They are all different but they are not hyper. Maybe, as with any pup, the first year they are a bit hyper. Right now they are all laying down in the apartment. We live in the country and they get to run a lot out here but there are days the dont and thats fine with them. They dont get into anything, they really love to be with their humans!

BC_MoM
09-18-2006, 05:34 PM
I honestly don't know where any of you get your Border Collies! The two I own (female is purebred, male is mixed with Collie) and all the ones I know are NOT neurotic, crazy, freaks, etc.

Border Collies are intense dogs. They need to have mind and body stimulation. They need good training. Most people with Border Collies that I know have gone to an obedience instructor that has owned a Border Collie in their life.

Molly is very intense. I call her a freak, but she's not..

I walk her 2 times a day, play tug/ball in the backyard several times a day, and throw a ball while I'm on the computer, or give her something to do every now and then inside and she's fine.

Tralee
09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Toby isn't neurotic, a freak or crazy (even though his nickname is crazy dog) He likes to herd people and dogs which many people find very odd, but thats what border collies are bred to do. The most frusterating thing is when people tease him by moving their hands so he chases the shadows. His compulsive behaviors are not allowed. They aren't as big of an issue as they used to be.

Banders
09-20-2006, 10:36 PM
My grandfather has a border collie (bred for cattle farming) that he has had since she was just a pup. She's highly intelligent and highly protective of family. For example, when my sister and cousin were babies, she would "herd" them and if any stranger came near them, she would get infront of the children and snarl and snap at the stranger. She is very well-trained, but has never had any official/professional training and doesn't work cattle. Her parenting skills are amazing, she made a great mom with her own pups and with the grandkids :) . When my dog was a puppy, she would discipline him when she thought he "got out of line" by pinning him down until he behaved and even 1.7 years later, she does the same thing. I agree with most people on here when I say, border collies can make great pets to those who have time for them. They can be high energy, protective, and loyal as anything to the person or people they bond with. I say get one if you are willing to accept him/her for who they are...and willing to put time in with them...they will test the limits. The only thing that worries me about my grandfather's dog, is that she seems to be getting meaner the older she gets.