PDA

View Full Version : Singled-Out Cat

JGuitaristR
05-27-2002, 10:18 PM
I have this one cat I found on my front porch. She had obviously been "pre-owned" due to her de-clawed front paws. Outside Jesse is the sweetest little cat... but inside she is one mean little girl. She very rarely lets me pet her and when she does, it's for a very short period of time. Jesse lives with 5 other cats, none that she gets along with. Although she has no front claws, she's still willing to fight. She's very territorial. I just don't know what I can do to help her? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gio
05-28-2002, 07:14 AM
How long have you had her for? Perhaps she still needs time to adjust. Even if we had a couple of not so good days in the beginning my cats have learned to at least tolerate each other.

Sorry if I could not be of much help, perhaps some of the others will come up with better suggestions. Welcome to Pet Talk!

JGuitaristR
05-28-2002, 07:32 AM
Thanks!:) :) :)

I've given her a long time to adjust, for about 5 or 6 years now. A while ago I decided to let her outside again, because that's where she's happiest (but not safest) and she disapeared for a month I think it was. As soon as she showed up after a big storm, I took her back in.

I'm thinking she needs to be in a 1-cat household.

AmberLee
05-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Wow! When I first read your post I assumed it was a recent problem. If this is the situation after 5 years, perhaps rehoming is the right solution for you all. I admire your patience trying to give this feisty kitty a happy home. (Sorry I'm no help here. Perhaps some of the others might have something more useful.)

By the way, welcome to Pet Talk!

yorkster
05-28-2002, 07:44 PM
Maybe re-homing into a single cat household would be good- just please make sure it's a good home.
On the other hand, maybe when you move, it might be a safer place for her to be outdoors?

JGuitaristR
05-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Oh, I'd never just give her away blindly to a place where I didn't know if it were safe or not. :) But I'm really not comfortable letting her roam around outside, I don't feel it's safe for her anywhere out there. It probably would be a "safer" place, but I can't let her go again knowing I might never see her again. I just need someone who loves cats, but has none and is willing to take one. But until that opportunity is here, she's my little inside cat. ;) :) Thanks :)

Logan
05-30-2002, 08:01 AM
Good morning. Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have one of those feisty ones myself, but it isn't the other cat he likes to attack, it is me. Butter showed up here about 1 1/2 years ago and here he has stayed. He has his claws though, and is an indoor/outdoor cat.

I wish I had good advice for you, but I'm afraid I don't. It is hard to know what causes some of these cats to just have an attitude problem. We don't know their history, but we do know that at some point in their lives they've had to fend for themselves, which probably means fighting off other cats and animals, and sometimes probably humans too. :( Sounds like your cat would have been better off as an "only cat", but after this long, I'd be hesitant to rehome it myself. If it is huge problem and your other cats are being frightened or hurt, you might consider setting up some kind of isolation room like some of our other members have done, even consider putting a screen door on a bedroom so the cat won't be shut completely away, but can be seperated from the others. I am relieved that you are keeping her inside now since she doesn't have her front claws, but that isn't an easy task is it? When they want out, they want out! :D

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you do, and if you find the perfect home for her, then maybe it will be the right thing. I don't think my Butter is going anywhere though. :rolleyes: He has it too good here!! :)