PDA

View Full Version : Are there health problems with cat eating birds?

mdsved
05-24-2002, 03:54 PM
My cat likes to eat birds. She eats the whole bird,- head, feathers etc.

Any health risks with this?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-24-2002, 05:16 PM
I would say, No, mdsved, but I'm not an expert. I would not encourage your kitty to eat birds, but it is a natural instinct so I don't think it will hurt them.

However, my mom lets her cat outside on a leash, and he has been known to catch the occassional bird, mole, chipmunk, mouse, whatever he can. One time he got really sick, wouldn't eat or drink for days and just laid around the house. She was about to take him to the vet when he started perking up and eating and drinking again so she never really found out what the problem was, but she figured he must have eaten a critter that was sick or maybe had gotten into some poison somewhere and that made the poor kitty sick.

So if your kitty goes outside, don't feed the birds and encourage them to come around, and if you see your kitty lurking around a bird feeder or something, get the squirt bottle out because you just never know.

AmberLee
05-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Yes, welcome to Pet Talk! I love it here and hope you will come to love it, too. Tell us more about your cat(s) please!

I would discourage your cat from eating birds, although if they are healthy there should be no health impact for the cat. The ecological impact is more what concerns me...

I've been trying to fight back a flippant response ever since I first read your post (so sorry all bird lovers here) -- that the health impact to the cat was negligible so long as the bird was healthy, but the impact on the birds was incredibly bad. :D ;) :eek: (some days I just can't control myself. Sorry!)

mdsved
05-24-2002, 09:46 PM
I was wondering if there are any diseases that Gracie could brind into the house by eating birds, mice, chipmunks, hamsters, etc...

In fact, I had a pet hamster escape from the house and I found her head out on the patio. Gracie had eaten the rest of the hamster........

Gracie just really seems to be good at hunting and killing..........

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2002, 01:34 AM
I have heard that there are some diseases that a cat can get from eating birds, rodents, and other small animals. I don't remember the name of the diseases but there's a vaccine that is recommended for cats that hunt small animals. My parents cat did this and they used to have to give her this vaccine. My cats are indoor only cats so I don't have to worry about this.

noahmason
05-25-2002, 10:17 PM
I'd be really careful, cats can get some nasty diseases from eating wildlife, especially rodents. Some things can even be transferred to humans. I hear that rodents still carry the plaque and that is not uncommon here in Colorado -yikes! :eek:

wayne0214
05-30-2002, 07:16 PM
I think what I would be more concerned about is not so much what is in the bird, but rather what kind of varments are on it, such as fleas, lice, and the like. I once had a Maine Coon cat, that would only eat wild fresh kill. Remembering one day, after giving him my home to live in, I sampled practically every type of cat food available, and still he would not eat practically any of it. The only kind he would eat was ground liver, but the rest- forget it! However, he would kill and eat practically everything around including to attempting to eat a Mexican Beaded lizard, one that was found in my back yard in Tucson, Ariz. In fact the place was becoming devoid of wild life, because my cat, Tom would catch and eat all of them. I suspect this is the main reason he was dumped on the outskirts of town and wandered into my home and heart.:p

..........wayne

lynnestankard
06-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Welcome mdsved and hope you enjoy the site. My three cats occassionly get birds - and hey thats what cats do!
I'd just make sure you keep up with her worming tablets - best safe than sorry.

'quote - I've been trying to fight back a flippant response ever since I first read your post (so sorry all bird lovers here) -- that the health impact to the cat was negligible so long as the bird was healthy, but the impact on the birds was incredibly bad. (some days I just can't control myself. Sorry!)'

AmberLee (chortle chortle) shame on you (he he he) :D :D

AvaJoy
06-03-2002, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lynnestankard
[B]Welcome mdsved and hope you enjoy the site. I'd just make sure you keep up with her worming tablets - best safe than sorry.

. . . ditto! Drontal (1 1/2 tablets every 3 months) is a good precaution, and should take care of any infestations . . . check with your vet.