PDA

View Full Version : how often should i bathe my dog?

jagsjorge
07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
how often should i bathe my dog if he has ticks and how can i get rid of them. the dog is 4 months old. thats it... thanks

zoomer
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Where do you live? Are ticks common where you live? If so I would suggest putting some kind of flea prevention on him that prevents ticks, too (like K9Advantix). You can put the stuff on him every 30 days. You can get rid of the ticks by catching them on fire or putting alcohal on them, but be careful not to hurt your dogs, if you are too afraid you're going to hurt him, grab the tick close to it's head, and be careful it doesn't stick to you! Does your dog have ticks on him? You should bathe him only every month, or twice a month at the most, so their skin doesn't get irritated, and if he's dirty and you've already given him two baths in that month, give him a nice brushing. Brushing alone is better than a bath alone, although brushing won't get rid of ticks, and I don't think baths will either.

Hope I could help! Oh, and, welcome!

dab_20
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
First of all, Welcome to Pet Talk.

Check him for ticks every day and if you find them then pull them off. Make sure you grab the tick close enough so the head comes out with it. You can put him on some kind of flea and tick preventative on him. What breed is he? You should only give him baths when he needs them, as it can dry out his skin.

luvofallhorses
07-12-2006, 08:18 PM
check his whole body to see if he has ticks..they are visible and I think you would know if he has ticks..you would need flea and tick shampoo if he does have them, like dab_20 said you would have to pull the whole thing off of him. Does he have long/short hair? I don't bathe my dogs frequently, though since they have short hair, Jenny is medium haired and she gets brushed frequently. :)

also, you cannot leave those ticks on him you have to get them off ASAP if he has them, they are very deadly to dogs!

wolfsoul
07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I like to bathe Visa about once every three weeks or whenever she needs it. :)

Use tweezers and grab the tick by the head. If you leave the head it can stay there and cause an infection.

finn's mom
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Be sure to get the tick completely out of the dog. If you're not sure about how to, take him to a groomer's or to the vet's and have them show you or do it for you. As for bathing, you will get a million different answers. I bathe my dog when he gets dirty. That's all. :) Even when he's covered in mud, I just let him swim in the lake and he's fine. Good luck and welcome to pet talk!