PDA

View Full Version : Lily on Petfinder. Is this guy for real?

Sevaede
07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Last night, I posted Lily up for adoption on Petfinder. It didn't take very long to get a response. I've let Troy read these and he doesn't like the way this guy acts so eager.

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 04:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: "leroy smith" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
Subject: your pet
To: [email protected]

Hello
My name is mr Smith i cam accross your ad and it caught my attention which i am glad about the pet in particular,kindly let me know your final asking amount of the pet and it present working condition.Please include pics for more of it verification,i will be looking forward t your immedaite responds.
Rgds
Smith

And

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: "leroy smith" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
Subject: Re: your pet
To: "Angelique Copa" <[email protected]>

yea those are the pets i will like to buy and i will like to read from you asap

Angelique Copa <[email protected]> wrote: Are you inquiring about the ads I have posted on Petfinder? If so, I will be happy to see an adoption worked

Suggestions?

I asked him where he currently lives (as I will not ship her) and told him that she has an adoption fee and WILL be spayed so as not to cause an confusion.

jazzcat
07-08-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm a bit lost as to who Lily is, sorry, but my opinion of this guy is no way! What the heck does he mean by "it present working condition". Sounds like he is looking for an animal to breed or something. Sounds shady to me. With all this talk of final asking amount and and buying it he doesn't sound like someone wants to "adopt" a pet to me.

I think if he keeps persuing it I'd just tell him that you are looking for someone who isn't so concerned with costs and more interested in the animal itself.

If I wanted to adopt an animal on petfinders my first questions would be about the animal's personality, health and so forth.

G535
07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
If you have any doubts at all about the people who want to adopt her then don't do it! I also don't like the way this guy comes across.

Randy_K
07-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Far too creepy for me! I wouldn't place a cat or kitten with someone like that. Please wait for a better candidate.

Sevaede
07-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I really had a lot of reservations myself. I will *NOT* be adopting her to him. Thank you all very much, I really appreciate your advice! :)

Troy says he fears that the guy is trying to find a breeder and it doesn't sound like it would be a very good home for her anyways. I agree.

Jaazcat, attached is a picture of Lily. She is a kitten that Troy and I rescued from the inside of his moms car. We tried to find her people but to no avail. So, now she is up for adoption. :)

The first picture was taken earlier this week.

catmandu
07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Present working condition?
Unless this person is expressing himself very badly, I think he wants a breeder too.
No way, Jose'.

smokey the elder
07-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Boy does that EVER not pass the smell test. I would be put off by the very poor communication skills. (I'm anal about that in emails.) Beyond that, the very wording ("working condition")?? This is a living being, not a lawnmower!

orangemm
07-09-2006, 08:44 AM
NO. Just NO. Sounds creepy to me.

Laura's Babies
07-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I would have to ask him just WHAT kind of work did he plan for her to do!

catnapper
07-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I have no idea what he's saying. Its a very poorly worded email. I too never let people who had such bad communication take one of my fosters.

Zippy
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
This person sounds like a nutjob.

moosmom
07-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Go with your gut instincts. Just say no!

QueenScoopalot
07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
For some reason this guys name rings a bell as one who's on D.N.A. (do not adopt) lists due to either animal mutilations, or using adopted animals to train fighting dogs. I would never let an animal go via the internet until references were provided, and confirmed. ;) Ask who their vet is, and follow through with a call to them to assure it's an actual vet clinic, and not someone posing as one. Find out if any other pets in the house are spayed etc. Ask if they've had pets before, and what happened to them if they don't have them any longer. I'd be highly suspicious of someone so eager to adopt a never seen animal! :eek: You're probably better off placing an ad on the vet clinics bulletin board to find adopters. And spreading the word via friends. Hope Lily gets a good home, and I'm sure there's more cautionary words to add here. ;)

jazzcat
07-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the pictures, I remember her now. She's really getting big already. Ashame you can't keep her.

I have a question. You said you put her on petfinder, did you do a classified ad? Is there anyway you could get a rescue or shelter to do a courtesy listing for you? I just think if it's tied with a group you might get better response and mabye fewer of the nutcases.

boscibo
07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
This is a classic scam letter - he doesn't want the cat at all - he wants your money. The scam is he pays the adoption fee and shipping cost by cashiers check and overpays you, and instructs you to send a third party (also in on the scam) the overpayment. The check bounces, and you're out the overpayment.

This type of scam has been going on for years, usually for big ticket items like cars, boats, motorcycles...etc. Any way to make a buck, I guess.

catnapper
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
This is a classic scam letter - he doesn't want the cat at all - he wants your money. The scam is he pays the adoption fee and shipping cost by cashiers check and overpays you, and instructs you to send a third party (also in on the scam) the overpayment. The check bounces, and you're out the overpayment.

This type of scam has been going on for years, usually for big ticket items like cars, boats, motorcycles...etc. Any way to make a buck, I guess.
Ah, now the email makes sense! He only edited certain words, like change the word "CD player" to pet... no wonder the line about working condition! LOLOLOLOL

Yup, I have received this scam about my artwork, someone wanting to buy my stuff from Bermuda and wanted to know if I could ship it at my expense, etc.

jazzcat
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh wow Boscibo, I had no idea that scam was going on. Sounds like you nailed this one.

Years ago I sold on ebay to clean out the junk in my house and really enjoyed it but now that I hear about all these scams I'm too afraid to try again. I guess I'll just have to breakdown and have an old fashioned garage sale (which I hate). Better yet, just drive to Goodwill.

RedHedd
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Anything that badly worded, with all the misspellings and grammar errors - (I'm anal about that kind of stuff too). I wouldn't even bother responding even if I COULD figure out what they were trying to say.

momcat
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
When I first started in my present job 24 years ago, my boss at the time said if you get a gut feeling about something go with it because 99 times out of 100 you're going to be right. Go with your gut feeling on this one. This guy is sending up several red flags in my mind. He didn't ask how old she is, is she litter box trained, are there any health concerns, how is she with other pets and children, is she best suited for being an only cat, we all know the questions as well as the answers a true pet lover would present. Lily deserves nothing but the best - the life of a PT kitty - full of love, caring, attention, and spoiling. As for "mr smith", I don't know that I'd give him a peanut butter sandwich in the middle of the Sahara desert. The purrfect home is waiting for adorable Lily, they'll find each other. I congratulate you for seeing through this guy and not letting him adopt such a beautiful kitty girl! Thanks for caring so very much.....

Sevaede
07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
:p Wow! Lily, Troy, and I thank you all for your tremendous response.

Heh, QueenScoop, anybody who is potential will get a thorough questioning and whatnot, indeed! :D

My husband pointed out one of our bigger worries, that this guy would have tried to use her as a breeder or for dog fighting.

Anyways, thank you all again! Even if this guy had been real, there was no way he was going to get Lily.

She is frisking around, I think I need to go catch her before she does something silly.

rhondariley
07-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Wow I am so glad I decided to google his email address... I thought this email sounded kind of straight to the point... Thankseveryone of this post...It saved me the headache....

Hello
My name is Mr Leroy Smith I am from California , i cam accross
your ad and it caught my attention which i am glad about the pet in particular,kindly let me know your final asking amount of the pet and it present condition.Please include pics for more of it verification,i will be looking forward t your immedaite responds.
Rgds
Smith

Sevaede
07-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow I am so glad I decided to google his email address... I thought this email sounded kind of straight to the point... Thankseveryone of this post...It saved me the headache....

Hello
My name is Mr Leroy Smith I am from California , i cam accross
your ad and it caught my attention which i am glad about the pet in particular,kindly let me know your final asking amount of the pet and it present condition.Please include pics for more of it verification,i will be looking forward t your immedaite responds.
Rgds
Smith

Did you receive this email as well?