PDA

View Full Version : I believe we have an EMERGENCY here. UPDATED

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Hello everyone. I am writing on behalf of my friend Dionne. They figured out who was doing the peeing (Angel) but not who was having the little blood drops. Well, she sent me a late pm to tell me that one of them has crapped a literal puddle of blood. I will be calling my vet tomorrow, as well as parentals, and do what I can but I thought that I might be able to get a quicker answer on here (for now) as to what it could possibly be. They are quarantining all the kitties seperately so we shall see how the day progresses. Thanks!

EDIT: Can a small piece of garbage bag be responsible for Abby's five inch puddle of blood?

Craftlady
06-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I would be taking all of them to a vet or ER vet if it's after hours.
Peeing and or crapping blood is NOT good.
This is taken for a "ask the vet" site

Excessive bleeding indicates more severe irritation. Parasites, cancers, infections and intestinal damage can cause diarrhea, mucus and blood

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I would be taking all of them to a vet or ER vet if it's after hours.
Peeing and or crapping blood is NOT good.
This is taken for a "ask the vet" site

Thank you much! We've been talking about it together, I've been chatting about it with the parentals, and I shall be calling my vet in the morning.

She said that she thinks it's the boy cat. Dionne said last night that he was really lethargic and she could hear his stomach making gurgling noises. Then, some time between this afternoon and then, he made the blood puddle. Afterwards, he ate like he was starving. Her sister related a story about her friends cat. The friends cat did the exact same thing. The friend spent lots of money to figure out what the problem was and she found out it was tapeworms.

dionne
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
thanks, wenisrubber for posting on my behalf, as i was to afarid to leave my kittie's side throughout this mess last night :(
So what happened, went like this:
we had occasionaly finding a little gloop of blood on the feces in the litterbox, and unfortuanately, my sister and i have 3 cats between the two of us, she one, coral, and i two, angel and abysinthe (abby). i personally had never had a problem with this, but my sister, circe has, and she took her other cat into the vet for it (R.I.P.-Jasper, hit by some idiot who couldn't see where the hell he was going), but never came up with anything. so when i moved in with her, like i said, we'd see a gloop of blood every once in awhile. there was much, maybe the size of a dime, give or take. so we'd watch them, and watch them, and watch them some more, but wouldn't see anything. we weren't sure whether to take them to the vet or not, not only could we not afford but, also, after we saw the blood we'd not see any more at all. then it'd be so long that we had almost forgotten about it, the lo and behold, we'd find more. then it'd stop as quick as it had come, like a thunderstorm. in the 3 months i've lived here, it'd happened 3 times. so last night, i had the scare of my life. we hadn't seen any blood for awhile. i knew abby (who is... i hate to say it..my favorite) had a tummy-ache, as i could hear his belly making noises as he was laying next to me. he was also lethargic all day, which had worried me somehwat. i went into the bathroom, where they share the litterbox, and i instantly knew what was wrong with Abby. PREPARE YOURSELF - I KNOW THIS MADE ME LITERALLY SICK. i went into the bathroom and saw on top of some very unhealthy looking diarrhea, A LOT of blood. ok so now i'm getting queasy, but i need to say this, in detail so if someone knows what is wrong, and need as much details as i can give, i will give them. *deep breath* ok so there was about a four to five inch wide puddle of blood. after we found this we called the emergency vet, which unfortunately was 100 miles away and the only thing open, and they told us to quantine him. so we put him in the bathroom and a spare litterbox out for the other two. upon finding the blood, abby started getting exteremly lethargic and started showing signs he was in pain. very carefully i put him in the bathroom, and stayed with him all night. after awhile, we gave him a soft food, at the suggestion of the emergency vet, so he would be able to ummm...poop again and he ate it like he was starving. then he started to perk up and wasn't really lethargic anymore, in fact he seemed normal, with the exception of meowling at me in protest every time i left the bathroom. i slept in the bathroom with him, and when i woke up, he was fine, and there was no more blood in the poo.

so there it is. if you have any suggestion on what it may be, let me know. we havn't taken him to the vet YET because my sister talked to her friend and she informed us her cat did the EXACT same thing, and after spending tons of money trying to figure it out, she discovered that her cat had a rather large tapeworm. so we got some tapeworm medication from the vet and are currently treating him....i hope this works, wish me luck and if you have any suggestions, then please feel free to post them, or email me @ [email protected]

Dionne

PS. sorry if this turned any of your stomachs...

Karen
06-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Do, abslutely and as soon as possible, take him to the vet. This is not something you should guess at a diagnosis for.

dionne
06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
yeah i guess i look like the stupid one now. i *can't* afford to take him to the vet. i have absoluetly NO money at all. no one around here has a payment plan, you have to pay up front and i can't do it...why don't you think i haven't done it already? i'm not stupid and i don't want my cat to die.

dionne
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
wow that sounded rude. i'm sorry. i'm just so upset by the whole ordeal.

Karen
06-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Call around tomorow morning, see if there's a low-cost clinic, if there's a vet school nearby maybe they'll at least examine him for a low rate - this is a potential emergency, and someone must have a heart.

dionne
06-09-2006, 11:33 PM
i've called litterally everyone. the closest place to go is 100 miles away and i have no one to take me there. no one will have a heart here. it's pathetic and f*ed up but its whats happening.

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Please, Dionne is *highly* distraught. Give her a little wiggle room as this her first companion related emergency.

We are trying to figure out the best way to get Abby to vet. The closest emergency vet is 100 miles away and most are closed on Saturdays. Any suggestions?

Sevaede
06-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh, didn't read the other suggestions. That's a good one, Karen! (The vet school!)

Catty1
06-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Just emailed these suggestions to Dionne...I hope the little guy is ok....

Grasping at ideas here....Is there a Humane Society or other animal welfare group there? They MAY have a vet tech, which might help at this point. Or even a very experienced person who can help in a pinch.

Short of that - any vet or medical students you know of there?

Will check where you are from, and see if there is anything else I can do, maybe...

hugs
Catty1

Sevaede
06-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Just emailed these suggestions to Dionne...I hope the little guy is ok....

Grasping at ideas here....Is there a Humane Society or other animal welfare group there? They MAY have a vet tech, which might help at this point. Or even a very experienced person who can help in a pinch.

Short of that - any vet or medical students you know of there?

Will check where you are from, and see if there is anything else I can do, maybe...

hugs
Catty1

Well, she lives in Oregon and I live in Louisiana (now). Right now, she is on the phone with the small animal services section of the vet hospital at the university there (OSU).

I will tell her to check her email and post when she gets back online!

thanks for the suggestions!

hugs,
angelique

Catty1
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Louisiana free or low cost S/N: LOUISIANA
Animal Welfare Inc
PO Box 4797
Shreveport LA 71134
318-221-0053
www.animalwelfareinc.org
Provides a discount for s/n for pets of residents with low income.

Lafayette Animal Aid
Lafayette LA
337-232-3089
Provides a small discount for s/n for pets of residents with low income.

Spay/Neuter Intervention Program (SNIP)
St. Bernard Parish Animal Shelter
115 W. Agriculture Road
Chalmette, LA 70043
504-278-1535
www.sbanimal.homestead.com
Free spay/neuter of cats and dogs brought by retired residents and by people on any type of public assistance. Low cost spay/neuter for cats and dogs for everyone else.

Jefferson SPCA
1 Humane Way
Harahan, LA 70123
504-733-PETS
www.jspca.org web site
For anyone in the community, Jefferson SPCA provides discount certificates for cat and dog spay/neuter with participating veterinarians. Serves Jefferson, Orleans, St. Tammany, St. Charles, St. Bernard, and Terrebonne parishes.

Southern Animal Foundation
Spay/Neuter Intervention Program (SNIP)
PO Box 4164
New Orleans, LA 70178
504-861-7729
Mobile clinic that visits sites in Hammond, St. Charles, Slidell, New Orleans, Jefferson, Mandeville, Plaquemines, Amie, Abita Springs, and St. Bernard.

Louisiana SPCA Feral Cat Initiative
New Orleans LA
Web www.la-spca.org
For feral cats residing in Orleans Parish. Also check the web site for their low cost s/n for tame cats and dogs.

Catty1
06-10-2006, 12:25 AM
For Dionne - although these are free or low-cost spay and neuter, they may have great info on who can help you. (Hope the school works out!)

OREGON
Pet Over Population Prevention Advocates Inc (POPPA)
PO Box 5721
Beaverton, OR 97006
503-626-4070
This service helps by giving information about low cost programs for s/n of dogs, cats, rabbits, and ferrets statewide. Also, POPPA operates Oregon Neutermobile, a van that visits communities around the state to provide low cost s/n.

Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon
Portland, OR
503-797-2606
Spay/neuter and vaccinations for ferals, at clinic or at mobile clinic that travels around the state.

Humane Society of the Willamette Valley
PO Box 13005
Salem, OR 97309
503-585-5900 ext 308

Spay and Neuter Humane Association
333 West Marine Drive
Astoria, OR 97103
503-325-7729

PROD
7741 Cook Underwood Road
Underwood, WA
509-538-2397
Serves the mid-Columbian area in Oregon and Washington state. PROD will pay a percentage of spay/neuter costs, depending on income level, at any vet in the mid-Columbian area, including towns such as Hood River, The Dalles, and Cascade Locks, Oregon -- and Bingen/White Salmon, Stevenson, and Underwood, Washington.

Pet OverPopulation Prevention
PO Box 442
Pasco, WA 99301
509-582-4722
Each month, gives out a limited number of certificates for very low cost s/n at participating veterinarians. Call the message center for instructions.

City of Eugene
Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic
3970 West 1st Avenue
Eugene OR
541-682-3643
The clinic is operated separately from the County Animal Regulation Shelter although they are located in the same building.

Pet Population Control & Well-Being Society
Eugene OR
541-687-7286
800-944-0192 toll free

S.N.Y.P.
Rogue Valley area of Oregon
541-858-3325
Web: www.spayneuter.com

Heartland Humane Society
5311 SW Airport Place
Corvallis, OR 97333
541-757-9000
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of people with low income.

Coos County Animal Control
600 Southport Road
Coos Bay, OR 97420
541-269-2312
Free spay/neuter for pets, in exchange for the human volunteering some time.

dionne
06-10-2006, 12:32 AM
thank you, you guys. i found an emergency vet here in town, but unfortuantely they want 75$ before they'll even see him. since when did money come beofre animals....but they gave me numbers to care credit and i applied for that too, i dont know if im accepted or not, as i found out the processing center was closed for the night...
i am going to try and call every number that you gave me and see what i can find out....hopefully i'll come up with something....because if my cat dies cuz im too broke to save him.....

thanks for the help.
dionne

Catty1
06-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Dionne...you said Abby had no blood in his poo this morning...is he still holding his own, doing okay?

Hopefully he can hang in there til you hear from some of the credit care. And is the emerg vet a regular-cost vet in the daytime?

hugs
Catty1

dionne
06-10-2006, 12:48 AM
abby just vomited, and i found a little tiny piece of platic when i cleaned it. it's the only time he's vomited. it was a little piece, like a shred of a garbage bag, but i cant see any signs of an eaten garbage bag...could this be the reason for the blood?
i am going to call the places i can at this time of night, and google more. any other suggestions would be widely appreciated.
thank you guys, for not ripping me to shreds.
dionne

critters
06-10-2006, 06:22 AM
Actually, finding "trash" makes me more concerned about the possibility that he ate a toy, string, wad of plastic, etc. that may have either blocked him or damaged his intestines. A small amount of blood in or on poop may not be unusual, it can even happen from straining, but it sounds like Abby had WAY more than that.

Really don't know what else to suggest besides getting him checked out, which you're working on...

steph
06-10-2006, 07:19 AM
it could be cyctitis... i've seen many male cats peeing blood. but if blood is present in his diahorrea, it can be quite seriouse, it could be an infection or bowel diesese, or.. a bad case of cyctitis, in a male cat it is expecially sore for them. .. if he has eatten something out of the garbage, it could be food poisening.. the vet should do blood tests to find out
you said he vomited.. Offer him planty of water, and something bland to eat (bolied chicken is the best thing) and get him to see your vet asap..

good luck hun

Steph
- x -

dionne
06-11-2006, 08:46 PM
ok everyone. this is what happened....i got abby scheduled for a vet visit and they told me he was fine. he swallowed a piece of garbage bag, like i had suspected but after x-rays they showed me that he had ejected it out of his body, and the blood was from a busted blood vessle in his bum (kinda like a cat hemmoroid :p). he was sick and lethargic because his body was rejecting the foreign substance that was part of a plasitic bag. so the vet gave me this medication that will clean his system out, and rid whatever little tiny pieces of whatever out of his system. and now he's fine, and back to the rambunctious little turd he was before :D unfortuantely, i took him the vet for nothing, like i had feared, but at least it made sure he was ok :D

thank you guys for all your concern!!!!! :D
dionne

Catty1
06-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear the little guy is ok!

Best to be on the safe side...and Abby has the best meowmie going because she goes that extra distance(all night on the phone, with us at PT and more!)

hugs
Catty1

dionne
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
yes, he is my *child* :D unfortunately he's back to his normal self which includes running from me when i try to pet him when he wants to be obnoxious :rolleyes: