PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here on Welbutrin???

moosmom
06-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I feel the need to post this for ANYONE here that happens to be taking Welbutrin for depression.

One of the worst side effects of this drug is suicidal thoughts. :eek:

Well...my doctor put me on it in addition to my Paxil 37.5 mgs. I told him I'd rather he just up my dosage of Paxil to 40 mgs (that's what I was taking before and had absolutely no problems with it) because it comes in generic and is cheaper. He gave me this long schpeel about how it would cause RAPID weight gain, blah, blah, blah. He said that if I take the Welbutrin along with it, it would give me energy and suppress my apetite. :confused: :confused: I'm beginning to realize that maybe the doctors and the pharmaceuticals are in cahoots with each other. This is the second doctor to tell me this and push the 37.5 mgs at me. My doctor in Michigan told me they don't make 40 mgs of Paxil anymore. Well, they lied!!! :mad: :mad:

I have NEVER in my life had such a meltdown yesterday in all my years of depression and being on medicines. I IMMEDIATELY called my doctor and he said to stop taking Welbutrin and come into see him. I'm going in Saturday morning.

I have to go for an MRI tonight because I MAY have a tumor in my right inner ear that is causing my hearing loss.

My roommate Mark is absolutely phenomenal! He told me not to worry about the rent if I don't get an assignment right away. He also told me to call him the MINUTE I get the results of the MRI.

The thought of my work assignment ending and wondering how I'm going to pay my bills (my rent mostly) just really took a toll on me and I was totally overwhelmed. I just sat at my desk and sobbed, thinking how I was going to manage and maybe I'd just be better off not alive, if you know what I mean. I wasn't worried about what anyone would think, or how my family would react. What stopped me???????

These guys:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/shooman.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/shortie.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/mollierose.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos203/2/69/50/80/33/0/33805069203_0_ALB.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/f9d72666.jpg

What would they do without me??? Who will care for them, even though I DO have a provision that states each cat be taken by one of my rescue friends. All the wonderful people here that have been SOOOO kind to me and helped me through just about every shoe that's dropped on me in the past 2 years since I've joined PT. I love you guys!!

The meltdown eventually subsided (only AFTER I went to work last night at BB&B which took my mind off it).

What I'm trying to say is, if you're on this nasty crap and you start having thoughts like I did, call your doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

I'm just glad I was able to get through it (or should I say LIVE through it).

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Thank God for your cats!

Prozac has similar warnings about suicidal side effects..hardly ideal for depression.

Hope the sun starts shining for you again soon {{{hugs}}}

moosmom
06-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks Brody's Mum. You're SO right! I refused Prozac (he wanted me to go on that and then suggested Welbutrin when I said no).

The agency is confident I'll find something soon. I still have my BB&B job and they'll up my hours IF I don't find something soon. I've also been putting out my resume and watching Careerbuilder.com.

Catty1
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I was on Paxil. Changed to Wellbutrin. I came to call it Hellbutrin.

I would take one, and within an hour, go through instant menopause - crying jag, shaky legs, hot flash and SWEAT.

(I switched because I thought Paxil was decreasing my sex drive; I found a new boyfriend BORING. Guess what? He WAS boring!!!! :D )

Each SSRI affects different receptors in the brain. I don't know why they wouldn't just increase the Paxil for you either.

I am now on Cipralex 20mg, a new cousin to Paxil, and feel fine!

I also learned that Wellbutrin is also that other drug Zyban that is often prescribed to help people stop smoking. No WONDER so many people stop taking it.

I stuck it out as I knew side effects could go on for 2 weeks...but they never got better. So I took myself off. Plus I was going thru Paxil withdrawl - I was told there would be a "transition". Yeah, like crossing an exploding bridge transition!

Best advice I ever got - from a dentist decades ago - he told me: "I am the expert - you are the boss."

Wise words...no one knows your body like you do, hon. Contact a local mental health centre if you want some backup...and talk to a nurse if you can, at your doctor's. They are often more tuned in than drs are.

It will get better hon!

hugs hugs hugs
Catty1

moosmom
06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks Catty1. I've gone through Paxil withdrawal too a couple of times from either running out of the meds or forgetting to take them. It's awful! :(

I've called a couple of agencies to find a good therapist that does a "sliding scale" fee. Before I left for Michigan, I had this WONDERFUL therapist that I truly adored. I kept in contact with her while I was in Michigan just as a friend. If only she were closer and I could afford her fee. She helped me tremendously.

I really wish I didn't have to be on any meds at all. But I know that I have to be, just like a diabetic on insulin. :( For some reasons my gene pool needed filtering and I inherited the "crappy" stuff filtered out.

Each SSRI affects different receptors in the brain. I don't know why they wouldn't just increase the Paxil for you either.

That's why I said I believe the doctors and pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots because I've repeatedly asked to be upped to 40 mgs and they kept saying they don't make it anymore. Well, they do because I called the pharmaceutical company. Which really makes me mistrust some doctors, including the one I'm going to.

I've signed up for Partnership for Prescription Assistance, so hopefully the $97/month for Paxil will cost less if nothing through the program. I've heard wonderful things about it.

Thanks Catty1! You and all the fantastic people here are one of the reasons why I love this place so much!! ;)

JenBKR
06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Oh how scary! What I hate about doctors (and drug companies) is that they never tell you the whole story. Most drugs for depression (SSRIs) don't necessarily work forever, your body will start to build up an immunity to it. You can either take a higher dose of the drug you're on, try a different drug, or try a combination of drugs. The problem is that docs don't tell you that your body may have this effect, so when this happens to someone, they start to get depressed again. Not only that, they start to think that they will never really get better, because they think that even medication can't help them. That's where the sucicidal thoughts can come in (not to mention that every drug does not work ideally for every person, and it sounds like Wellbutrin was not a good fit for you).

On a side note, I noticed that you put david's picture there with your cats, which made me smile. I know how much he cares about you, so when you get depressed try to think about him. Hey, have you guys ever actually met?

Donna, if you ever need to talk just PM me, I have been through depression myself and so has my mom, so I do understand what you are going through. ((((hugs))))

dogzr#1
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
My mom was on Paxil and Welbutrin, but they didn't help with her anxiety at all. I don't remember the side effects she would have, but I know she would feel terrible. She tried to get off of Welbutrin but her withdrawal was worse than the actual side effects. So her doctor changed her to Effexor 75mg( that's what it says on the bottle) and she feels fine!

caseysmom
06-01-2006, 09:21 AM
My daughter has a friend who found her brother, he hung himself. He was on a drug for depression. I know he was having problems also but it made me wonder if the drug caused it. I am glad your kitties and David made you decide against it, that would definetely not solve anything for you, life is precious even thought I know its really hard sometimes.

I am glad you are doing better.

catnapper
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh Donna ((((HUGS))))

I am so sorry that you're in such a low place right now. I wish I could be there to hug you in person and help you. I am praying the results of the MRI come back with good news, and not news of a tumor. If it is a tumor, please let pray its benign and operable~!

I have no experience with either drug, but YES the doctors are in cohoots with the drug companies. My doctor admitted it -- he said the more you prescribe of their drug, the more free samples and stuff they give. He said he mostly prescribes so he gets free samples to give to people like you and me. He has given me several months' worth of free samples because of this practice. I guess it evens out - help those that need it and make those that have good benefits pay more :confused:

moosmom
06-01-2006, 09:24 AM
JenBKR,

One of the reasons I'm switching doctors is because THIS particular practice wouldn't up it to 40 mgs and complete the PPA paperwork unless I came into see him (I was just there a few weeks prior - nothing had changed since then). I felt that all this jerk wanted to do was bill an office visit. They refused to send in my paperwork (they still have it as a matter of face) to PPA. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist, said I should report the practice to the Medical Board. I'm seriously thinking about it.

David and I talk on the phone daily, although we've never met. He's a wonderful friend who has given me his shoulder MANY times to cry on, even if it is over the phone.

I was on effexor prior to paxil. THAT stuff is NASTY!!!!!! We'll see what happens on Saturday. Thanks for being there for me. You're such a great friend and I appreciate your help. At least I'm over this particular meltdown.

HUGS

Donna

JenBKR
06-01-2006, 09:27 AM
JenBKR,

One of the reasons I'm switching doctors is because THIS particular practice wouldn't up it to 40 mgs and complete the PPA paperwork unless I came into see him (I was just there a few weeks prior - nothing had changed since then). I felt that all this jerk wanted to do was bill an office visit. They refused to send in my paperwork (they still have it as a matter of face) to PPA. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist, said I should report the practice to the Medical Board. I'm seriously thinking about it.

That's ridiculous! I think you are exactly right, they just wanted to bill you the office visit. I sure hope you can find a better doctor! Kim brought up a good point, can your doctor give you samples of your medication? My sister's on Effexor and has no insurance, and our doctor gives her samples all the time because she can't afford it otherwise. If this doctor doesn't, maybe your next doc can.

davidpizzica
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Oh how scary! What I hate about doctors (and drug companies) is that they never tell you the whole story. Most drugs for depression (SSRIs) don't necessarily work forever, your body will start to build up an immunity to it. You can either take a higher dose of the drug you're on, try a different drug, or try a combination of drugs. The problem is that docs don't tell you that your body may have this effect, so when this happens to someone, they start to get depressed again. Not only that, they start to think that they will never really get better, because they think that even medication can't help them. That's where the sucicidal thoughts can come in (not to mention that every drug does not work ideally for every person, and it sounds like Wellbutrin was not a good fit for you).

On a side note, I noticed that you put david's picture there with your cats, which made me smile. I know how much he cares about you, so when you get depressed try to think about him. Hey, have you guys ever actually met?

Donna, if you ever need to talk just PM me, I have been through depression myself and so has my mom, so I do understand what you are going through. ((((hugs))))
Not yet, Jen, but when I talk to her on the phome she seems to brighten up. I ALWAYS want to be there for her!

JenBKR
06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Not yet, Jen, but when I talk to her on the phome she seems to brighten up. I ALWAYS want to be there for her!

Alright, you two are just too cute, I think you need to meet up!! ;)

trayi52
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Donna, I was on Webutrin for a while. Made me want to drive my car into a telephone pole. I will never be able to take that stuff again. It really gave me quite a scare. I am now on Celexa, and Cymbalta. Quite a few other meds to go with it too. These are the main ones though. Topomax is another, Abilify too.

Hope you get to feeling better, Donna.

Willie :)

ashleycat
06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey yall. I'm currently going nuts here. I've had the hardest past few days myself. I've taken those things when I was younger. But not for very long at all.

Ask your doc about Lexapro. My hubby is a pharmacist and he says it should be better.

Hugs... I know I need help right now too. Unfortunetly I don't get to see the counselor till Wed when hubby can watch human baby. :(

moosmom
06-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm going to ask my Dr. about Lexapro. I've been on Paxil for a long time and I really think that I've built up an immunity to it. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everybody. You guys are the BEST!!!! :D

Edwina's Secretary
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I took Zyban to quit smoking. I only took it for four weeks because of the side-effects....sleeplessness in my case, but it was VERY effective for my smoking. Haven't had a cigarette since (over five years.)

Here in California a doctor will lose his/her license to practice medicine if they prescribe anti-depressants or sleeping pills without an office visit with the patient.

You may be cussing the wrong party!

moosmom
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Here in California a doctor will lose his/her license to practice medicine if they prescribe anti-depressants or sleeping pills without an office visit with the patient.

Hmmm, I never thought of that. I'm going to discuss other options with him. If I'm not satisfied, I'll get another opinion.

JenBKR
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm going to ask my Dr. about Lexapro. I've been on Paxil for a long time and I really think that I've built up an immunity to it. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everybody. You guys are the BEST!!!! :D

Lexapro could be good for you - my only caution there is that it is very similar to Effexor, so if you had a bad experience with Effexor before you might have the same problem with Lexapro. Then again, it might be perfect for you. Either way, don't get discouraged if it doesn't work for you, you'll find the right medication! I know how frustrating it can be, but there are lots out there so just keep trying!

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Be carefull with Effexor :eek: . It is wellknown that it is VERY difficult to stop taking it!!
I used to take Prozac 10 years ago. The worst side-effect was that it made me hyper nervous; was terrible!!

Now I am taking SERLAIN. I don't know if you have this in the USA too, but it is very effective, and no side-effects for me :)

moosmom
06-01-2006, 03:19 PM
WOW! So many choices!! :eek: I've been on Effexor and I will never take it again. The withdrawal vertigo is awful and it's very difficult to wean yourself off of it.

MomOf7
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I was on a mass amount of welburtin for a few months. I hated it. They coupled it with a upper I dont remember the name but it starts with a R I think?
I was a basket case.
I went back to Zoloft which works great for me. Now I cannot afford it so I have been out since this winter...Well I could afford it if I didnt keep putting it off. LOL Ill be honest!

So yeah any drug they have to weekly draw your blood to check liver function cannot be good for you! :eek:

Donnaj4962
06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Donna, I am sorry that you have been going through such a hard time.

I have taken Effexor for about 5 years now, and it really helps me. But I also know several people that have had bad side effects, such as what have been described in these posts by you and others.

I am fortunate, because my MD was a pharmacist before she became an MD! She is so up on all of the meds and how thy can affect people. Have you thought about talking with a pharmacist? He/she may have some suggestions that you could research and then suggest to your doc. Just a thought.

I hope things go well with the MRI and you find out the cause of your hearing loss issues.

(((hugs))) from one Donna to another!

Catty1
06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Here's a good link...I found it on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor

Sertraline, listed at the bottom of the list, is what Serlain is called in North America. It's marketed over here as Zoloft and a few others.

If you can get the generic form or any of these, it will save a few $$.

Wikipedia I find to be clear and understandable. Hope this helps you, Donna, and a few other folks.

Different SSRI's affect different receptors in the brain. I do best with Paxil cousins. NOT the Hellbutrin Family! lol

hugs
Catty1

CultureJunky
06-02-2006, 05:49 AM
Donna, sorry to see you've been going through a rough time, but remember these things come in peaks and troughs and you will feel better.
I am on Effexor 75mg, I am supposed to take one in the morning and one in the evening, however I have been getting along with just one in the morning fine for a good while. I've been on anti-depressants since I was around 17 years old (I'm 27 now) I started off on Seroxat but then was switched to Prozac, which just completely destroyed me for about 5 years, i was very ill, was a self harmer quite badly (which I haven't done for about 4 years now) the switch from Seroxat to Prozac was a killer, and how I survived it I don't know looking back, I guess having Doris saved me (doris is my retired cat now if you remember my othe posts) because I loved her so much. This was before I met my boyfriend Kevin who I met at about the age of 21 on the internet believe it or not!
I've been on effexor for about 5 years now and I've been okay with it, I seem to be improving though still have an off day every now and then, probably about once a week where I feel very depressed. Though changes in my life have contributed to my being better, having a great man to take care of me, living with him and Jack & sunny who I adore and enrich my life so much.
Luckily over here (in the UK, I'm welsh and we have a national assembly which has some power) we have the National Health Service so there is no charge to see a doctor, I recently changed my doctors though as the other ones were useless concerning my problems. The new ones are okay though.
I have to pay for Prescriptions cause my boyfriend works and as we live together I count as having an income aswell (even though I dont work) under him so I have to pay. It's £3.00 in Wales (which was set by the welsh assembly recently) per prescription, which I think is about $5.50ish is it?
Do you pay for prescriptions as well as your consultation fee? or do you have medical insurance that covers going back and forth to the doctors?

Well donna, hope you feel better soon and I'm sure you will, every time you feel sad cuddle your cats, that's what I always do and it makes me feel so safe and much better knowing I love them and they love me.
You can always PM me or email me if you wanna chat at [email protected]'d be nice to get to know people with similar interests, problems, personalities etc from Pet Talk, as I really only have one best friend and that's my boyfriend, no internet buddies or anything.

moosmom
06-02-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm doing much better today since I stopped the Welbutrin. My MRI went well but boy is that stupid machine LOUD!!!! If I didn't have a hearing problem then, I sure do after being in that thing!! I'll find out the results probably sometime next week.

K9soul
06-02-2006, 08:31 AM
WOW! So many choices!! :eek: I've been on Effexor and I will never take it again. The withdrawal vertigo is awful and it's very difficult to wean yourself off of it.

I certainly will never forget the hell of trying to get off of Effexor. I weaned down over several months and was just taking a tiny portion, but when I stopped I still had 4 weeks of "brain zaps" and vertigo. I was on it for a long time as well. I still get those sensations if I am really worn out or not feeling well, although never as bad as they used to be.

I'm on Celexa now and have had no real problems with it as far as side effects except for some nausea the first week or so. If I forget a dose I'm not reeling and sick the next morning like I was with Effexor. I hope you're able to find something that helps you without the terrible side effects or the withdrawal.

I signed the Effexor petition that is out there when I was trying to get off of it. http://www.petitiononline.com/effexor/ There are over 10,000 signatures now.

moosmom
06-02-2006, 08:39 AM
I signed it. I never knew there were so many people who had the same problems with this nasty drug as I did. The dreams are scary!! I always thought they were caused by something I ate before I went to sleep!!

K9soul
06-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I had horrible dreams and night sweats as well, and no energy at all as well as many other side effects. I started it when I was in college around 1993 I think. At first I had improvement of my depression and didn't notice any really bad side effects, but after a few months on it things started going downhill. I went to doctors for all kinds of evaluations who told me it couldn't be the med, that it wasn't addictive, and that it was all in my head etc. Since I had a history of depression and anxiety they latched onto that and sent me home with benzodiazepines to take with it. I was young and at the time really believed that doctors must know what they were talking about. Then I went through all these tests and even an overnight hospital stay with a lumbar puncture, tilt table test and other hellish tests trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Not one doctor out of the 10 or so I saw even possibly attributed it to Effexor. I was finally blown off as a hypochondriac or nutcase and referred to shrinks. It wasn't until I got access to the internet years later and stumbled across something about it that I learned it had all been the drug. I couldn't get off of it though. It really destroyed many years of my life.