PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro fractures leg in Preakness

Tralee
05-21-2006, 07:32 AM
This is so devistating!
BALTIMORE — Bernardini's 5¼-length victory in Saturday's Preakness will be a footnote in what could be one of the worst days in racing history.
Instead, the lasting memory of the race will be the brilliant racing career of Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, who many speculated would be the horse to break the Triple Crown drought, most likely coming to an end 200 yards into the race.

After breaking through the starting gate before the beginning of the Preakness and having to be returned to the starting line, Barbaro seemed to get a good jump once of the race started.

Cruising up the backstretch, jockey Edgar Prado was busy placing his undefeated colt when he took a bad step and broke his right rear ankle above and below the joint.

As the rest of the field thundered into the first turn, Barbaro hopped on three legs toward the outside rail until Prado could dismount and try to support the horse until help came.

"I don't want to talk about it," Prado said after the race. "It is what it is."

The biggest fear, that one of racing's best horses would have to be euthanized on the track, did not materialize. Instead, track veterinarians were able to put a temporary cast on Barbaro and get him rushed off the track in an ambulance.

Veterinarian Larry Bramlage said that the colt first suffered a break above the ankle. Because he "tried to keep running" he then suffered a break below the ankle.

Bramlage said the biggest worry is "damage to the blood supply" and then added that the same injury in a human would keep them in bed for six weeks. Consequently, the broken ankle needs to be stabilized before surgery.

Surgery is set for today at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, a veterinary facility, in Kennett Square, Pa. ''Two weeks ago we were on such a high and this is our worst nightmare,'' trainer Michael Matz said at the hospital. ''Hopefully, everything will go well with the operation and we'll be able to save him.''

"There are still some major hurdles," Bramlage said before adding "his career is over. We are trying to save him as a stallion."

While many were watching Barbaro, Bernardini was running the best race of his career. In only his fourth career start, Bernardini, whose last win was the April 29 Withers Stakes in New York, stalked the leaders Like Now and Sweetnorthernsaint. Jockey Javier Castellano, who said he had no idea that Barbaro was hurt, kept looking for the 1-2 favorite. At the half-mile pole, he stopped worrying about anyone in the field.

Castellano said he knew he was going to win because "I had so much horse. Four-hundred yards from the finish the jockey asked and got a finishing kick. "I asked him and he took off," the winning jockey said.

Trainer Tom Albertrani saw the same thing that his jockey was feeling.

"I didn't think he'd win by that far a margin," Albertrani said. "He sure came with an explosive run at the end."

John Ferguson, the bloodstock and racing manager for Sheik Mohammed's Darley Stable, said that Albertrani actually knew much earlier that this colt was going to win Saturday.

"If you asked Tom what you asked Javier 'when he knew he'd win the Preakness,' they'd say it was when (Bernardini) crossed the line at the Withers."

Albertrani said owner Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum will make the decision of whether Bernardini will race in the Belmont Stakes in three weeks.

Bernardini is only the second horse in 23 years to win the Preakness Stakes without running in the Kentucky Derby. His victory also ensured that Thoroughbred racing will have to wait at least another year for a 12th Triple Crown winner.

No horse has swept the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes since Affirmed in 1978. This despite six horses *— Silver Charm (1997), Real Quiet (1998), Charismatic (1999), War Emblem (2002), Funny Cide (2003) and Smarty Jones (2004) — winning the first two before losing in the Belmont. In addition, Point Given (2001) and Afleet Alex (2005) won the Preakness and Belmont.

The final order of finish of the Preakness: Bernardini, Sweetnorthernsaint, Hemingway's Key, Brother Derek, Greeley's Legacy, Platinum Couple, Like Now, Diabolical, Barbaro.

The winner paid $27.80, $9.40 and $5.80. He finished the 1 3/16-mile race in 1:54.65.
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/horses/_photos/2006-05-20-barbaro-topper.jpg
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/05/20/PH2006052001645.jpg

For those of you who don't know, Michael Matz the trainer of Barbaro in 1989 was survived a plane crash and and went back in to the plane to save two chlidren. He has competed in Olympics three time in show jumping and in 1996 won silver. He has also competed in my Pan Am Games and has won 8 medals from that. Barbaro was also the winner of the Kentucky Derby

smokey the elder
05-21-2006, 07:38 AM
That's a nasty injury Barbaro has. I hope they can save him. The problem is that you can't put a horse in traction very easily, I guess. That's why broken legs are a big problem.

Laura's Babies
05-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I saw that on the news and was so brokenhearted...

Zippy
05-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I watched it with my grandparents.I prayer that the can fix his leg.

lizbud
05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
I saw this. :( I had the Tv on while waiting for the evening news. The
race was about to start, so I sat down to watch.It was the most heartbraking
thing to see the horse lifting his leg in pain.It took a few minutes for all the
people involved to get to him & finally get him off the track.I do hope they
can help him survive & still have some kind of a life without pain. :(

Vela
05-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I have been following horseracing for a long time, and was very excited to see how he would do after the Derby. I was in tears and sick to my stomach when I saw him bobble and start bouncing and knew he'd broken his leg but I am hoping the can save him. I was thinking of Funfair about six months ago, also ridden by prado, and Go-For-Wand in the Breeder's Cup Distaff against Bayakoa, and was glad to see him at least make it off the track. I am praying they are able to save him, but it will be tough, he has three broken bones and a dislocated ankle joint. Prado pulling him up gave him his only chance at making it, because he was able to stop him before the break became compounded and open. He is a hero in this story and did his best for Barbaro. If he can stay calm he has a chance. Ruffian was put down because she could not tolerate the cast on her leg coming out of anesthesia after her breakdown and injured herself severely with it. I am praying he can tolerate it better and makes a full recovery to spend his days in the pasture and being a daddy. They are doing everything they can for him. I feel a little bad for Bernardini, nobody really cares that he ran the race of his life.. I know I haven't cared.

Grace
05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Surgery began at 1pm - almost over now, according to ESPN. Quote from the surgeon, before the operation began -

"You do not see this severe injury frequently because the fact is most horses that suffer this typically are put down on the race track," said Richardson, the chief of surgery for the center. "This is rare."

Barbaro will be taken to a Recovery Pool until he is completely awake - then to a padded stall.

I pray he will be able to tolerate the situation better than Ruffian did.

Tralee
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I unfortunatly missed the race, but saw it on the news this mourning. Matz does not deserve this! i pray that Barbaro will make a complete recovery

luvofallhorses
05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
It has me sick and it breaks my heart. :( Horses aren't like dogs and cats. They need all 4 legs to support their weight since they are so heavy. I truly hope he makes it. :( He's only 3 years old. :(

Tralee
05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I was watching the news, and the newscaster said he would be unable to compete in the belmont. :eek: Umm He will never be able to compete ever again, that is if he survives!

zippy-kat
05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Just read that, according to the surgeon, he "practically jogged back to the stall." Here's hoping the recovery goes as smoothly.

Grace
05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
So far, so good . . . .

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro underwent more than five hours of surgery Sunday to repair three broken bones in his right rear leg and afterward "practically jogged back to the stall," the colt's surgeon said.

At this moment "he is extremely comfortable in the leg," said Dr. Dean Richardson, who stressed before the marathon procedure that he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes. His surgery began around 1 p.m. Sunday at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals.

Although the operation was successful, Richardson warned that Barbaro was far from home free. He said it was still "a coin toss" that the strapping 3-year-old colt would be able to survive what had been termed catastrophic injuries.

"I feel much more comfortable now," trainer Michael Matz said afterward. "I feel at least he has a chance."

Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint — the ankle — was dislocated.

Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."

The bones were put in place to fuse the joint by inserting a plate and 23 screws to repair damage so severe that most horses would not be able to survive it.

When he came out of surgery, Barbaro was lifted by sling and placed on a raft in a pool so he could calmly awake from the anesthetic. When he went back to his stall, he was wearing a cast from just below the hock to the hoof.

"He's a real genuine athlete, there's no doubt about it," Richardson said. "Even the way he woke up from anesthesia, he was very much the athlete waking up from general anesthesia."

Matz, who attended the briefing with Richardson, looked fatigued, but relieved.

"From the last time I saw him to now was a big relief," Matz said. "They did an excellent job. It's just an amazing thing to see him walk in like that."

Richardson again stressed that surgery was just the first step on a long road to recovery.

"Getting the horse up is a big step, but it is not the last step by any means," he said. "Horses with this type of injury are very, very susceptible to lots of other problems, including infection at the site."

Horses are often euthanized after serious leg injuries because circulation problems and deadly disease can arise if they are unable to distribute weight on all fours.

Richardson said he expects Barbaro to remain at the center for several weeks, but "it wouldn't surprise me if he's here much longer than that."

Tucked away on a sprawling, lush 650-acre campus in Chester County, the New Bolton Center is widely considered the top hospital for horses in the mid-Atlantic region. The center is renowned for its specialized care, especially on animals needing complicated surgery on bone injuries.

The breaks occurred as a result of an "athletic injury," said Corinne Sweeney, a veterinarian and the hospital's executive director.

"It's an injury associated with the rigors of high performance," she said. "They were designed as athletes and they are elite athletes, thus they incur injuries associated with performance. The frame sometimes plays a role, absolutely."

Barbara Dallap, a clinician at the center, was present when Barbaro arrived at the center Saturday night.

"When we unloaded him, he was placed in intensive care and we stabilized him overnight," Dallap said. "He was very brave and well behaved under the situation and was comfortable overnight."

Barbaro's injury came a year after Afleet Alex's brush with catastrophe at the Preakness. Turning for home, the horse was bumped by another and nearly knocked to his knees before gathering himself and going on to win.

Thoroughbreds have broken down in the past in big races: In the 1993 Preakness, Union City broke down and was euthanized; in the 1993 Belmont Stakes, Preakness winner Prairie Bayou broke down; in the 1999 Belmont Stakes, with Charismatic trying to win the Triple Crown, he was pulled up while finishing third with a fractured ankle; Go For Wand broke down in the stretch of the 1990 Breeders' Cup Distaff and was euthanized; and in 1975, the great Ruffian broke down in a match race with Foolish Pleasure. She was operated on, but was later euthanized.

Craftlady
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I would say his racing career is over but the stud service will be popular.
It's a mircle this horse survived. The team of vet's on the field at the time of injury really did 200% excellant job with this horse. Their quick thinking saved this horse.

smokey the elder
05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
Hopefully Barbaro will be a good patient. He seems to be doing well so far. He's a smart horse; maybe he'll realize that the people are trying to help him get better.

Lobodeb
05-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Poor horsie!

Grace
05-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Post-op X-Ray -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/horse_a_barbaro_195.jpg

Lobodeb
05-22-2006, 10:44 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That looks like an erector set!

Poor baby. :(

Vela
05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Don't forget about his jockey, Edgar Prado. If it wasn't for him this horse would never have made it off the track. The vets did a WONDERFUL job of putting him back together so far, but Prado got him stopped and prevented him from causing a compound fracture to his leg by trying to keep going after them. If he hadn't been so quick to stop him and get off and hold him still there would have been no choice but to put him down. The vets have said the only thing he had going for him was that he hadn't continued to run and didn't open the wound to compromise blood flow and cause infection. As it was his injury was horrific, but I am saying my prayers he will make it, he has too much courage not to. The jockey, owners, Mr. Matz, and all the vets are putting a huge effort out to save him. He is doing well so far.

RICHARD
05-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Post-op X-Ray -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/horse_a_barbaro_195.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic.

I would really like to know who made the plate and screws.

Synthes is the company that makes the human stuff and I was very interested to see if the adapted human stuff for horses.

The screws are stainless steel and have a special driver to set them.

One small screw for a human runs about 25-40 dolars last time I checked!

Grace
05-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I, also, found it extremely interesting. Back in 1995 I had a plate and 7 screws put in my right ankle. The plate and six of the screws were removed a year later - the plate is now on my key ring.

On Barbaro's X-Ray, you can see a couple of small pieces of bone that are just 'there', not screwed or anything. I had a few like that, and eventually new callus formed and the pieces were integrated with the rest of the bone.

Karen
05-22-2006, 08:46 PM
They say he has about a fifty-fifty chance of survival, so I am guardedly optimistic. He's a beautiful horse, and the jockey is to be commended as much as possible.

In a way, I almost feel sorry for the horse who won, because no one will even remember his race, just that this is the race when Barbara broke his leg.

Vela
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree, Karen, nobody even really cared that Bernardini ran the race of his life. I am trying to be hopeful that he doesn't have any major setbacks, but he is ahead of the eight ball at the moment. He is eating and is able to get himself up and down by himself without a sling so that's good news. If he can beat the laminitis and possible infection (which he has better odds of beating due to the fact it wasn't compounded on the track) then hopefully he can at least be pasture sound to enjoy a good life. Here's keeping fingers crossed that he comes out on top of the 50/50.

Suki Wingy
05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
What happened to him is similar to what happened to my aunt;s horse durring hunting, and he's now a wonderful mount on the flat. Poor baby, I didn't see it because I forgot it was on. (I NEED to sign up to get reminder emails of when big races will be on TV if anyone knows where I can sign up)
I can't belive he kept running, :eek: my baby wouldn't. I horse like that only comes around once in a blue moon. Thank god he's a fighter.

moosmom
05-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I am praying Barbaro recovers fully and can live out his life in green pastures.

Vela
05-23-2006, 10:43 AM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=33683

There is a link to a report from today, if anyone is interested. He is donig very well. He even stood full weight on the leg to scratch his left ear with his left hind hoof...so hopefuly the laminitis fear won't come to reality as he can bear full weight on that leg.

gemini9961
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I am so heartbroken about the poor guy. I did not see the race but I have been reading the news reports. I pray he survives and can live a life of luxury in a great pasture.

RICHARD
05-23-2006, 05:42 PM
just that this is the race when Barbara broke his leg.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tralee
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
You can watch the race here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkg_gTtYNms&search=barbaro

and Barbaro breaking through the gate before the race :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOM8HCVPTQ&search=barbaro

todd
05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
what sad news

Grace
05-24-2006, 06:14 AM
I would really like to know who made the plate and screws.

Synthes is the company that makes the human stuff and I was very interested to see if the adapted human stuff for horses.

Same company, Richard. I found this article - in the Elmira, NY Star-Gazette.

Big Flats' Synthes plays role in Barbaro's healing
Company made plate used to repair champion race horse's broken leg.
By G. JEFFREY AARON
Star-Gazette
May 24, 2006

The stainless steel bone plate used to repair Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro's right hind leg -- broken during Saturday's running of the Preakness -- was made at the Synthes plant in Big Flats.

"The employees are proud to know that they were able to play a part in giving Barbaro a chance to survive his injury," Ronald Lerner, general manager of plant wrote in an e-mail to the Star-Gazette.

"We often hear of injuries to people we know who are treated with our implants and the same sense of pride felt by the Synthes employees is a motivating factor in the excellent quality built into our products."

The plant produced the locking compression plate used to repair the horse's right rear leg.

The plates and screws used on the thoroughbred are widely used in human hospitals around the world. The plate - made from stainless steel using a formula a body will tolerate -- used for Barbaro's ankle would be appropriate for a large adult's thigh bone, according to Christopher Scholl, the director of the company's Vet Division.

The goal of the operation was to have the bone fragments heal and fuse the horse's ankle in a fixed position.

In performing the operation, veterinarian Dr. Dean Richardson put back together as many of the large bone fragments as possible using the plate and individual screws, which were made in Synthes plants in Colorado and Switzerland. The plate now acts to carry the horse's weight while the bone heals.

The locking compression plate is a relatively new technology developed by Synthes and the AO ASIF surgeon group.

The novel feature of the implants are that the screws lock into the bone plate via threads in the screw head.

The process provides a rigid implant that can withstand larger weight loads.

It was introduced in 2000 for humans and Richardson was one of the first veterinary surgeons to try the new technology in horses, Scholl wrote.

Vela
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13036999/

gemini9961
05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Awesome news. :D I read the other day he was doing well and seeing now he's had an incredible week is great.

ramanth
05-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Fingers still crossed for Barbaro!

K9soul
06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
I've been working on a tribute to Barbaro that I finished tonight.. I thought I'd throw up a link here in case anyone would like to see it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yf3trTH49Q

Vela
06-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I saw it! about eight times...Thanks Jess, it's really awesome, the music is so appropriate and now I have to go watch Phar Lap too. Made me smile and made me cry, I miss him.

To all of those interested, he is still doing well at this time. No new information, just waiting for him to heal to see if he can make it. So far he's facing the hurdles like the champion he is, and he has overcome them all up to now, keep him in your prayers for a recovery that will give him a happy comfortable life.

Riptide
06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
poor Barbaro :(

shihtzulover850
06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
is he better yet?

luvofallhorses
06-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I've been working on a tribute to Barbaro that I finished tonight.. I thought I'd throw up a link here in case anyone would like to see it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdKLza49tE

that was a great video! :)

Vela
06-09-2006, 01:05 PM
No he's not better yet. He may not get better, it's a long wait and see game, as I stated above, he is doing well so far but he is not out of the woods yet and complications could set in at any time at this point. But hopefully he will just continue on this path and come out okay on the other side.

K9soul
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I revised it a bit, added a few more effects for variety and such :). Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you've enjoyed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yf3trTH49Q

Vela
07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
For those interested in what may be going on with Barbaro, he needs more prayers:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.barbaro10jul10,0,553368.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

He also had another cast change today, to make a total of four in the last week. He continues to need prayers. His odds are back down to 50/50 and hopefully this is a temporary setback.

Zippy
07-10-2006, 05:34 PM
For those interested in what may be going on with Barbaro, he needs more prayers:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.barbaro10jul10,0,553368.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

He also had another cast change today, to make a total of four in the last week. He continues to need prayers. His odds are back down to 50/50 and hopefully this is a temporary setback.

I hate to hear that. :(

Tralee
07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
That was beautiful!

Vela
07-10-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_YHNqY5pc

This is the other video Jessica made for him.

Vela
07-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Another update: Barbaro's condition has been downgraded. He now has acute severe laminitis in his left hind leg (the good leg) and only 20% of the hoof ramains attached to the coffin bone. His chances are grim so any extra prayers anyone can give for him would be appreciated. His owners and vets have dictated that he will not be allowed to suffer and at the moment is comfortable on lots of pain medications but unles something drastic good happens soon he isn't going to make it. He could use all the prayers you can give.

sparks19
07-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Aww thats terrible news :(

I hope he can pull through this.

Grace
07-13-2006, 11:22 AM
I am in tears.

smokey the elder
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
That poor horse. Laminitis is a bad sign.

K9soul
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Candles are being lit for Barbaro "Bobby" here: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=barba

More info on his condition here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13790977/

:( I wish there were a crying emote.

RobiLee
07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Alden just told me this sad news and I had to come and check in here. So so sad. :(

Tralee
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Thats terrible!! I know how bad lamininitis can be.. my horse got a acute case of it from being cast in her stall.
Good Luck Barbaro!!

gemini9961
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
My prayers to Barbaro, just read it on the news and came in here to say my prayers for him. :(

finn's mom
07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I can't even imagine what this is all like for the people close to Barbaro and for Barbaro himself. :( It breaks my heart, yet inspires me...to see an animal fight so hard to stay alive.

K9soul
07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
This is my favorite video tribute to Barbaro. It shows all his races and what an amazing horse he is. I can't stop thinking about him. Lots of prayers going out to Bobby. He'll always be a champion to me no matter what..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgf-ocQFbc&search=

Bobby hasn't given up yet, and I won't give up on him either.

lizbud
07-13-2006, 04:23 PM
This is so sad. In the article I read at noontime the Doctor said Barbaro's
chances were not good at all.They said " it's a long shot".

Logan
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
So, so sad. I have listened to the news reports today and it doesn't sound good.

Craftlady
07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Updated story, not looking good. :(

horse (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/07/13/bc.rac.barbaro.ap/index.html)

K9soul
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Here is a Transcript of the Press Conference (http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/Barbaro_Transcript7-13.pdf) for anyone who would like to know more details. Haven't heard any new news since the Press Conference. All the articles floating around out there right now are taken from this.

My Peanuts
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
This is so sad. :( I'll pray for poor Barbaro. :(

lizbud
07-13-2006, 05:42 PM
What makes this even more tragic is that it's the good leg that's affected.
The break was actually getting better.

K9soul
07-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Small update from Tim Woolley Racing Page (http://www.timwoolleyracing.com/news/2006/07/barbaro_updates_5.php):

Update 223: Just spoke to Kathy Anderson (Barbaro's Fair Hill vet) who visited Bobby this afternoon (she was just leaving at 6 pm when I spoke to her). She said he remains comfortable, as comfortable as he was when she visited yesterday. She noted the many gifts that had been arriving for Bobby all day (I am guessing many of them are from people commenting on this site). Kathy fed some carrots to Bobby, part of a very elaborate gift sent by Margaret from Beaufort, SC. The nursing staff were also feeding him cut grass and corn husks (chopped up for him).

It's good to hear he is still comfortable and stable at the moment.

EDIT* Adding some new pics of him from today from Yahoo news. You can see in his eyes he is not ready to give up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Barbaro/e8472bfc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Barbaro/4b0b2368.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Barbaro/capt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Barbaro/35dc3e15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Barbaro/capt-1.jpg

Suki Wingy
07-14-2006, 12:10 AM
I heard on the radio he now has laminitis. I'm thinking about you, Barbaro!

Craftlady
07-15-2006, 03:17 PM
update (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/07/15/barbaro.update.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

Barbaro is haning in there.
This update sounds encouraging. This horse hasnt given up :)

Vela
07-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Barbaro is dong as well as can be expected and isn't in pain. He hasn't given up, and I'm not giving up on him.

Keep fighitng Barbaro, lots of people are praying for you. We won't give up if you don't!

Vela
07-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Well I'm sure the vets know what they are doing. They are monitoring him very closely and are doing everythign in their power to save him, I'm sure they know more about him and what's going on with him than the rest of us. They have brought him this far, where most horses would never have made it off the track, so I won't worry too much about the carrots for now. Laminitis is not always caused by the sudden ingestion of an excessive amount of soluble carbohydrates, often is is caused by excessive weight bearing in one limb due to severe lameness in the other may result in the good limb developing laminitis. This is what happened to him, it was a result of his excesive weightbearing on the left "good" leg when he had several days of discomfort and infection in his broken leg, not his diet. I'm sure they won't risk his life over carrots..

What are the causes of laminitis?
Many "triggers" of laminitis have been identified. The most common cause is the sudden ingestion of an excessive amount of soluble carbohydrates. This is where the horse engorges itself on a lush pasture or breaks into the feed shed and helps itself to the grain. Obese or overweight horses that have little exercise are very vulnerable. Excessive concussion on a hard surface has also been implicated. Laminitis can be a rapid sequel to toxic conditions such as retained placenta or Salmonella enteritis. Older horses that develop Cushing's disease, a hormonal disorder have an increased susceptibility to the condition. Hypothyroidism can also be a predisposing factor in its development. Excessive weight bearing in one limb due to severe lameness in the other may result in the good limb developing laminitis. Therapies using corticosteroids can cause laminitis.

It's only related to a metabolic disorder in the fact that obese horses sometimes get it, and they are usually obese by ingestion too much grain, etc. Horses rarely are overweight just from eating hay.

K9soul
07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I trust the vets and equine surgeons at the New Bolton Center to know what's best, but you could write them with your concerns if you like.

Not to sound nasty, it's just I get a bit weary of everyone second-guessing the care this horse is getting (on other boards). This horse is still alive and doing well when almost any other horse wouldn't be. And I trust them to do what is best for him :).

Edit to say: As far as I know, carrots are not that high in sugar content. He'd have to eat gallons of them to raise his blood sugars. I type reports on diabetics all the time and the doctors constantly recommend snacks such as carrots and celery sticks.

K9soul
07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gho6QbUpc0s&mode=related&search=

A beautiful but gut wrenching video put to music that shows everything Barbaro has been through. Just thought I'd add the link here. I cried the whole way through.

Suki Wingy
07-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I added it to my favorites