PDA

View Full Version : Would like your opinion on this.

rg_girlca
05-07-2002, 12:04 AM
My hubby called me to come and see this little poodle on t.v. I couldn't believe it when i saw it. The dog was colored a very bright, but dark pink. Everywhere. The face, body, legs and even the feet. Call me naive, i don't know, but i have never seen this before. I don't know about you guys, but i think this is so wrong.
What i would like to know is, if this is common and is this not harmful to a dog or do they have special products to dye an animals fur.
I will respect any opinion you have on this.
Do you think it is right to dye a dogs fur like this just to satisfy its owner?
:confused:

Former User
05-07-2002, 03:42 AM
I've also seen this, and do not accept it. On that programme I saw it, they said they used food coloring stuff so it wasn't harmful for the dog... Anyway, harmful or not, I don't accept it. Why get a dog if you don't like it's colour? Get a one you love (and not just because the color suits you or your furniture) the way the dog is. That's my opinion.

Ann
05-07-2002, 04:11 AM
I think it's cruel too. I mean, imagine if your mother one day said "I don't like my child's hair color, I think I'll dye it"!

I'm glad I didn't see that show.

Pam
05-07-2002, 06:54 AM
I have seen several poodles on the internet with dyed hair but it is usually for Halloween or Christmas. Although I would never do this to Bella it's not because I think it is cruel. It's just not my thing. Many people dress their dogs up for special occasions and I think if it's done just for fun there is nothing wrong with it. Some Pet Talk folks have posted some really cute pics of their pets with costumes on. I can't imagine wanting to permanently change your pet's fur color though. :confused:

Logan
05-07-2002, 07:06 AM
Some of the older members here might remember a post, a long time ago, from a member considering dying her dog's hair to make him "cute" for Halloween. I remember that the response to that was pretty strongly against it. It certainly isn't something that I would condone, whether it was safe for the dog or not. At least, I wouldn't do it. All of us have such beautiful dogs without decoration that to me it just isn't necessary!

Tanya&Fritz
05-07-2002, 07:15 AM
I think I know the dog you might be talking about. Was it Marlen Cowpland's dog? She lives here in Ottawa and has a white dog that she dies pink so nobody steps on it (that's her logic). She has a show on TV called Celebrity Pets.

aly
05-07-2002, 11:54 AM
I agree with Pam on this one.

There is a groomer in my town who has a white standard poodle that she dyes pink sometimes. She doesn't have any reason to do it other than she wants attention. She's a real 'froo-froo' woman.

Anyone remember the picture of those Westies that were dyed rainbow colors? I had thought it was cute the first time I saw the pic, but then I thought "Why do that?". As long as it isn't harmful in any way to the dogs, I think it may be a cute idea for holidays. But other than that, no way!

Tanya&Fritz
05-07-2002, 11:56 AM
This is a great idea for Fritz :D He's all black with a white butt. My husband calls him "white as*"! Maybe shoe polish?

05-07-2002, 12:00 PM
:mad: what an awful cruel thing to do !!!!:mad:
Even if it is not harmful , it shows very little respect for that animal !!!!! A pet is not to show of , but to be loved and cared for !!!!!!!!:mad: Stupid people in this world !!!!

Albea
05-07-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
... has a white dog that she dies pink so nobody steps on it (that's her logic).
Logic:confused: :confused: :confused: Can a pink dog be seen better than a white one?
Dangerous or not, what's the point? I think all pets should be loved as they are and should be given the dignity they deserve. There's a big difference between a cute costume for a holiday and dyeing the coat to satisfy the person's need for attention:eek:

Goochina & Goochissimo
05-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Doesn't bother me as long as it's safe. It's no worse than dressing them in ridiculous clothes and things. We dye our own hair, pierce our ears, wear makeup. No one gives that a second thought. To me, this is just an extension of the same type of thing ... to dress up your pet. Piercing your baby's ears is much worse than dying a poodle pink, imo. Heck, we give them those ridiculous poodle cuts too, instead of leaving their hair to nature. What's the difference really?

I gave my Odie some food coloring spots on Easter. Just to be silly. Washed right off, and he didn't mind. :)

manda99
05-07-2002, 12:56 PM
While I have never dyed the hair on a dog, my old roommate's dogs didn't mind being drawn on.
We'd give them pirate patches or glasses (non-toxic markers of course!). They'd get lots of attention and giggles and they were very playful because of the attention & seemed to like it.
I only think it'd be cruel if you had to hold the dog down to do it...

That's just my 2 cents.

Rottie
05-07-2002, 01:02 PM
It doesn't really bother me too much. It's not harmful to the dog. I don't think dogs care what they look like, either. I personally don't see it as really much different than keeping a Poodle in a show clip, or keeping a Cocker with a long coat??????

Freckles
05-07-2002, 01:17 PM
http://currans262.homestead.com/files/Rainbow_westies.jpg

rg_girlca
05-07-2002, 03:46 PM
No Tanya&Fritz, this was some french actress who was on the Mike Bullard show and apparently my hubby heard her say that she changes the dogs color once a month. When asked why. she said cause she thinks it's nice. Go figure.
Well i thank you all for your opinion and i'm glad to see that i am not the only one who doesn't agree with this.

ellensy
05-08-2002, 09:09 AM
mmm, i've seen actresses here in our country dye their poodles fur wild pink! its uhmm not so pleasant looking. :o