PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite book?

dogzr#1
04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
I was just thinking about the book I am reading now and how I absolutely love it. So I was wondering what your favorite book is? Mine is The Cobra Event by Richard Preston.

lady_zana
04-19-2006, 04:22 PM
My favorite book? The Catcher in the Rye..........yes, I'm sure it's a cliche but I really do love it ;)

My other favorite books are "Leave My Behind" by Bart Yates (I believe that's the author) and anything by Christopher Rice.....His "Snow Garden" was wonderful. I'm reading "Light Before Day" by Christopher Rice right now.

I simply love books in general! Happy Reading.

Vette
04-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Flowers in the Attak series.. by V.C.Andrews

bluekat
04-19-2006, 05:04 PM
the Harry Potter series ;)

jennawing
04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Without a doubt, To Kill A Mockingbird- can't live in Alabama and love reading without being crazy about that book. My favorite author, though, would be Jane Austen, closely followed by Dickens, Henry James, EMFOrster, and DHLarence. I don't read much modern literature, but I do like James Patterson and Jeffrey Deaver.

joanofark
04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Hehe, I'm reading the Chronicals of Narnia books!! I'm in love with them!! I only have one more left to read, though.

SO does anyone know of some good fantasy books kind of like the Narnia books?? :)

finn's mom
04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I love The Three Musketeers. I'm reading Marley and Me and am really enjoying it.

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
So hard to choose but here are some:

-Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
-In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
-Night, Dawn, Day series by Elie Wiesel
-The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunnant
-Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
-The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Those are my favorites!Right now Im finishing Day by Elie Wiesel

CagneyDog
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
"Marley and Me" as well as " To Kill a Mockingbird.

Alysser
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Call of the wild :)
I enjoy Narnia to.

~Ginny~
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I love 'The Sight' but like The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry even though it's pretty short ^-^ ... My cousin likes it too!

joanofark
04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I enjoy Narnia to.

AWESOME!! ^_^

BC_MoM
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
The Theif Lord by Cornelia Funke.. fabulous book.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm reading Marley & Me , it's just wonderful! Such a great book, I recommend it to all you dog lovers! :)

Giselle
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't really have a favorite book, really, but I adored A Million Little Pieces. Even though much of it is falsified, I found it very riveting. I'm just starting Angela's Ashes. Should be interesting since I've found an interest in memoirs.

critter crazy
04-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I love stephen king books!!! but I also love Nora Roberts!! I love anything with animals, mystery, romance and drama!! okay so i pretty much love all books!! big book buff!! :D

Suki Wingy
04-20-2006, 10:54 AM
well, I don't really like nonfiction but I love the HP series. My other favorites are
The Dog Show; 125 years of Westminster
Hunter Seat Equitation
The Dalmatian; Coach dog, Firehouse dog
Horse Color Genetics

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Easy peasy - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Zippy
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
anything but Tamora Pierce,the last battle(narnia),a heart divided,a wrinkle in time,and harry potter

sirrahved
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
I've read far too many to have a favorite book... even a favorite author is hard. Right now I'm digging Jodi Picoult. Of course, there's my pastor's wife, Kim, that just published her first book. link to her book on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1424101840/ref=sr_11_1/002-2620544-5461617?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

BOBS DAD
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I am not much of a reader these days. Seems like the only books I read are Technical manuals on operating electronic equipment - pretty dry stuff, but they have happy endings. When I did read it was minimal, but I did find some that I would recommend for all ages and generations (and NO - I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT HARRY POTTER)!!! These are my top 5!

1. To Kill a Mockingbird - if you haven't read this book then you need to stop whatever you are doing and go get it! It will leave a lasting impression on you that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Without a doubt, To Kill A Mockingbird- can't live in Alabama and love reading without being crazy about that book.

2. Flowers for Algenon - wanna cry, this will tear you up and make you appreciate everyday things. "I beat the MOUSE"!!!

3. Of Mice and Men - need I say more???

4. The Red Pony - another Steinbeck Classic

5. Catcher in the Rye - funny and thought provoking

My favorite book? The Catcher in the Rye..........yes, I'm sure it's a cliche but I really do love it

6. Heidi (I know I said 5, but this one is too good not to mention) - a Classic for both young and old. If you haven't read it, you've maybe seen sweet Shirley Temple on Turners Classics late night. A great read for younger folks...

OK... that's my 2¢.

Hey... and a little plug for an associate of mine. If you are a younger reader (or an adult with less than a broad vocabulary), you might be interested in "WordKey". It is a small vocabulary/dictionary insert that serves as both a "BOOKMARK" and a "DICTIONARY". It highlights all/most challenging words that appear throughout the text of a book with simple and comprehensive definitions. Makes reading a lot easier on many folks and really helps to get the immediate full impact of the author's meaning!!!

I know he has versions for some of the before mentioned titles - as well as many others. Ask your local bookstores if they carry it. If not, you can contact him at [email protected] or [email protected]. They are really worth it for a satisfying read!!!

moosmom
04-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Flowers for Algernon is a favorite of mine. My daughter met Cliff Robertson, the actor who played Algernon in the movie about a year ago. He has his airplane fixed where she works.

Another couple of favs of mine are Likes Music, Loves to Dance (can't remember the author, although it's on the tip of my tongue) and Bridges of Madison County. I cried through the whole book.

slick
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I prefer "light" books as reading material...besides, I'm not as intelligent and thought-provoking as you folks here. My favourite is and always will be Watership Down. :o

BOBS DAD
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Oh Slick...

cut it out!!! if we were the intellectual elite... would we BE HERE on PT???

Watership Downs is a great book. I forgot about that one!

Miss Z
04-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Definitely The Da Vinci Code. It's such a clever book that's so convincing it could be real. I would love to see the film, even though it won't be a patch on the book, but it's probably going to be 15 or 18 rated so I won't be able to see it at the cinema. I also like Dan Brown's other book, Deception Point:)

K9soul
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I read so much I just don't think I can pick out one or two favorites. I love historical fiction the most overall, though I've enjoyed books of all genres. You can really learn a lot from a good historical fiction author as long as they are very good in their research and facts, and meld it well with the personalities they give the characters.

I've been fascinated with the books on the Plantagenet dynasty since I read Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Pennman. The Sunne In Splendour was also an amazing book, just incredible. I've also enjoyed Shogun, The Killer Angels, Lonesome Dove, Aztec, Byzantium and lots more. I tend to read things from old eras, I love ancient Rome and Egypt type settings, Medieval England and so on. Just about anything that is from the 1800s or earlier. I've read some modern day stuff (especially enjoyed some John Grisham stuff), but I am most drawn to those earlier centuries.

finn's mom
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I prefer "light" books as reading material...besides, I'm not as intelligent and thought-provoking as you folks here. My favourite is and always will be Watership Down. :o

Holy crap, you consider that LIGHT reading? I haven't read it in a few years, but, I don't remember it being light. It's one of my favorites, though. Have you read The Plague Dogs? It's the same author, and, an animated movie was made from it too. Great, but, sad movie and book.

JenBKR
04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh sooooo many! My two favorite genres are mystery/psychological thrillers (James Patterson, Tami Hoag, etc.) and books about people with different psychological disorders (autobiographical novels are best, but fiction are good too). Also, I recently finished Marley and Me and I have to say that it was FABULOUS! I absolutely loved that book, lots of laughter and tears and I really fell in love with that dog (not to mention that he reminds me a LOT of Roscoe ;) ).

Pawsitive Thinking
04-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Oh Slick...

cut it out!!! if we were the intellectual elite... would we BE HERE on PT???

Errrrr..........yes

Cat's Meowm
04-21-2006, 04:17 AM
any of Grimm's Fairy Tales;
or any book by Wilbur Smith -
or any of all previously listed

Any book read is worth reading.

I learn something from the Sunday comics.

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
04-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Ohhh you guys reminded me of so many of the good books that Ive read and loved!
For one, Flowers for Algernon and also of Mice and Men! What great great stories!
And To Kill a Mockingbird, ahhh it has been so long since Ive read it that I think Im going to do it again!
Thanks everyone for reminding me of these great books! Im gonna read them all again!
Why not lol!

Buddy Blaze Lover
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Lord of the Rings and Eragon :)

BOBS DAD
04-22-2006, 07:15 PM
For one, Flowers for Algernon and also of Mice and Men! What great great stories!
And To Kill a Mockingbird, ahhh it has been so long since Ive read it that I think Im going to do it again!
Thanks everyone for reminding me of these great books! Im gonna read them all again!
Why not lol!

I am so proud of you Marie. My own children are 20 (in college) and teenagers. They are well educated and well read, but they will most defintely name Lord of the Rings, Nardia and the Harry Potter series as their favorites. SIGH... it's their mother's influence over them!!!! :p :p :p

...sorry ladies :(