PDA

View Full Version : Depression in older shelter cats

Lizzie
03-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Donna mentioned in another thread that senior cats in shelters tend to become depressed. Have others seen this? I ask because of Blackberry, the 13-year-old that I just adopted from a shelter and who had been there for 5 years or so. Two of the other cats I adopted had been at the shelter a long time also, Thumper for 5 years, but though they have trust issues are lively and becoming more so every day.

Blackberry is very quiet and barely moves around. He is going to the vet tonight for his check-up and I'll have a geriatric panel done in case he does have medical issues. However, it seems more like behavior since he's eating, drinking and litter box using normally. I see his companion, Faline, in the window all the time. I don't believe he has ever got into the window, and it's very easy to get to. He's usually under his chair when I go in their room, sometimes on the loveseat though he jumps down as soon as I arrive. I fuss him under the chair and he comes out after a few minutes to lean into me, walk around me and last night even rolled over to get his tummy rubbed. He now purrs most of the time I'm in his room, so I know he likes the company and attention.

I remember at the shelter that he came forward for fuss and really enjoyed it, but moved away to cuddle with another cat as soon as I was distracted. Is this simply shelter behavior, that he's used to very short fussing periods? Has he become depressed from years in the shelter? Is his inactivity a sign of depression? I've had lots of cats in their teens and they've all gone on being active into their late teens.

I know I need to spend time with him, keep helping him trust me and rely on me for attention, but I would like input on the possibility of depression.

catmandu
03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
I Have Seen That Myself ,more Noticeably In Cats That Are In Cages As They Get So Bored Only Having A Little Space To Be In,and Dislike Having Thier Food And Litter So Close To Each Other.
There Are Not A Lot Of People That I Know Taht Would Eat In The Bathroom With An Unflushed Toilet.
We Pray That With Love And Tlc That Blackberry Will Be Friendlier.
But At 13,theres A Limit Sadly To His Activity Levels.

kb2yjx
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
We adopted a 4 year old, Ashley, back in 1990. He and his brother were brought to the shelter after their owner died. The brother was adopted in 24 hours after being in the shelter. Ashley languished there for about 8 weeks. Then I came in the door. The shelter manager told me that she NEVER saw a cat as depressed as Ashley was, and she said if he was a human, he would be considered suicidial!!! He did hide under the bed for the first three days when he came home, then Ashley adjusted.
I think any cat coming from a home who is put in a shelter would get depressed because the cat does not understand why it is there, and it is a stressful place with all the different cats, dogs, food, and living in a cage. I can see why some older cats just give up and die, probably of a broken heart.

moosmom
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Depression in shelter cats is common. Especially when they're confined to cages. Older cats who have been with their humans for a long time and are forced live in a shelter don't do well. That's why whenever I pull a cat from the Humane Society, I always look for ones that have been there a long time. I just wish people who owned pets made provisions for them in their final wishes. It would make their pets lives alot more fulfilled, and keep the crowding at shelters to a minimum (for what it's worth).

Lizzie
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't know if Blackberry ever had a real home. He was taken in to the shelter as a stray five years ago, neutered, tested positive and stayed. He's a very battle scarred tom. While some cats get depressed because they are moved from a home to a shelter, perhaps he became depressed through years of confinement after roaming free. He certainly became very active when I tried to put him in a carrier tonight! I had it on it's end so I could ease him in bottom first and he sat on the opening - he's definitely overweight, then he took off. It took three tries before it worked. He was sweet, though, he didn't try to scratch or bite. Now he's back home, he's back to hunkering down in a litter box just like the first day.

It's just interesting, comparing him to Thumper who has spent the same amount of time in a shelter and is very outgoing. Well, we all know that every cat has his own personality and I guess that is part of it.

jenluckenbach
03-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Maybe Blackberry was never very active. Maybe (if he were a stray) he never had time for playing or human cuddling. Maybe most of his life consisted of hiding from predators or scary people. And then his first years at the shelter WERE caged. Not a whole lot of opportunity to learn how to be a happy-go-lucky, carefree cat.

I feel that with pleny of love, understanding and patience, he will learn to have a happy life.

catmandu
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
The Found Cats Have Been Well Provided For,and Will Live The Rest Of Thier Natural Lives At The Pampered Feline , Where They Will Have People To Play With.
And Outdoor Exercise Runs, And They Will Gourmet Cat Food.
And They Will Have Thier Own Blankets , And I Hope That They Dont Miss Me Too Much.