PDA

View Full Version : Locks of Love hair cut - pictures

.sarah
03-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I got my hair cut for Locks of Love today. I have been growing it out for a really long time, and I finally got the courage to cut it. It's about an inch shorter than I thought it would be. Oh well, it'll grow back eventually.

The big snip! :p
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/031406/IMG_4046.jpg

Right after
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/031406/IMG_4053.jpg

After it was washed and styled. My hair hasn't been this poofy in about 3 years, because it was so long and it weighed so much that it wouldn't do anything but hang straight! :eek:
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/031406/IMG_4063.jpg

How does it look?

Flatcoatluver
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
aww good job!! Currently I am growing my hair out for lock of love, I am not even close though!!! it about at my elbows right now. :D

luvofallhorses
03-14-2006, 10:56 PM
it looks great and I bet you feel like a million bucks donating it to a good cause! :D

K9karen
03-15-2006, 12:40 AM
WOW! You look BEAUTIFUL!!!! (either way) You're hair still is pretty long, and cutting it will revitalize it and it'll grow back faster than you know. You're such a pretty girl! I don't think you could ever look bad. Lucky you!!!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
03-15-2006, 01:29 AM
I think your hair looks great! Mine was about the same length as yours and I too got it cut off. I miss my long hair! That is so awesome that you donated your hair, I couldn't - I fried it with hair bleach :eek:!

jackie
03-15-2006, 02:33 AM
great look, great cause!

My best friend shaved her head for locks of love, then spent the next two months upset (she could sit on her hair before hse cut it) :eek:

jenluckenbach
03-15-2006, 05:15 AM
I just adore your new hair cut and I envy the lovely COLOR of you hair. The recipient of your hair (from Locks for Love) will be very lucky.

Daisy and Delilah
03-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Good for you! Your new do looks fabulous! :D

Toby's my baby
03-15-2006, 07:09 AM
What a great cause! You are beautiful, just as everyone else has said, and your new hair style looks great!

JenBKR
03-15-2006, 07:44 AM
You're new haircut is beautiful! And you are a beautiful person for donating your hair :)

Felix
03-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Looks great!

Rachel
03-15-2006, 09:00 AM
You did a good thing. I recently saw a story on TV of a girl who received her new wig thanks to Locks of Love, and you could tell how much it meant to her to have a real human hair one.

Your hair is still long and you are gorgeous. I think you could wear your hair any style and you would be a knock out, but best of all you are a caring person.

anna_66
03-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Well first let me say what a wonderful thing it was for you to donate your hair! That's awesome, cudos to you Sara!

Next, your hair looks terrific now! I bet it's going to be so much easier to style now and looks like it's got some volume. I really think it looks great. Enjoy the freedom of not being weighed down by all that hair!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
03-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Beautiful hair on a beautiful girl

Laura's Babies
03-15-2006, 09:04 AM
I love you new look! I am trying to talk my daughter in law into doing that since she has some really long, really thick hair. Good for you to do such a nice thing for those who need it!

Cat's Meowm
03-15-2006, 09:20 AM
I wanted to donate my hair last haircut, but was told it was in too bad condition. I had kept it in a pony-tail at my top crown for four years, plus now it's greying so very coarse.. So my hair was heavilied layered this cut. Back to curly, wavy kinda - sorta like the red-head of *Peanuts* fame.

Okay - enough about me!

Are you realizing yet to cut down on the amount of shampoo to use? I'm still amazed how much I used to need!

Grow it long enough again - honey - hair like yours needs to benefit others while you can! It, and you, are beautiful!

Have a great week!

ramanth
03-15-2006, 09:31 AM
It looks great! Bless you for doing this.

I'm growing my hair out for the wedding and considering having it cut for Locks of Love later this year. :D

lv4dogs
03-15-2006, 09:53 AM
I love your hair, it looks great that length.

What a nice gesture, I am very proud of you, however I strrongly reccomend re-searching any charity before assisting them. I hate to put a damper on this woderful act of kindness but the word needs to get out.

LOL is known to sell a lot of their hair to companies that make wigs/extensions etc... and sells them for money. I was growing my hair out for them years ago, until I learned from a friend that they are not as good of an organization as you think, a few years later another friend of mine learned the hard way too.

I can't find the 2 really good links that I had bookmarked but I did a short search & came up with a few.

BBB:
http://www.give.org/reports/care2_dyn.asp?733

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love

People Magazine, September 6, 1999 issue,
in which the
organization is featured. Here, it states that LoL had
received over 20,000 ponytails, yet fabricated only 45
wigs. Each wig requires 12 ponytails. 45x12=540 total
used ponytails as of that date. So what about the
other 19,460+? nobody there wants to
answer.<br><br>Another article, from the Chicago Tribune, said that LoL
receives roughly 800 donations of hair per week, and made
50 wigs in its first year of operation. A quick
exercise in math reveals that 800/week=41,600/year. The
article stated LoL made 50 wigs in its first year of
operation and that about 100 were produced last year (and
they plan to make 200 this year). <br><br>From their
own website I got the information that they make wigs
for people suffering from alopecia and that they sell
a part of the wigs to cover manufacturing costs.
The receivers of the donations mostly remain
anonym.<br><br>For fairness it should be stated that this
activities, after their own words, are related to hair that
is not usuable for making wigs for
children.<br><br>The bothering thing is that their activists try to
make women feel bad if they don't sacrifice their
hair, they are considered to be selfish.

See more on this forum too: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hairdonations/messages/69

Roxyluvsme13
03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I think it looks really good! :) That was awesome of you to donate your hair :D

Muddy4paws
03-15-2006, 10:32 AM
:eek: Your hair colour is gorgeous!

kuhio98
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I love your hair. What a beautiful color. I've thought of doing this because my hair grows very fast. But, I've dyed my hair because I started turning grey when I was 18. They told me that they don't accept color-treated hair.
Thank you for doing this. My friend's mother is battling cancer for the 3rd time. She just lost her hair and is going wig shopping soon. What a great thing to do for people.

Anita Cholaine
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I love your hair now! I think it suits perfect on your face... And it's even better that it is for a good cause!

kimlovescats
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
It looks very cute and stylish too! What a great sacrifice for a wonderful cause! ;)

My Peanuts
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
It honestly looks great. :)

Cataholic
03-15-2006, 01:36 PM
You are beautiful, inside and out!

.sarah
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! You are too kind :p :D

Sue - thanks for posting that. I have heard about this before. My reasoning is this: It's either going to go in the trash can or possibly go to a kid in need. Maybe it won't, and I'll probably never know if it does, but hey, it's doing more good than it would in the trash!

If you (or anyone else) know of any other organizations that will use all of the hair, please let me know. It's still sitting here in a bag.

aww good job!! Currently I am growing my hair out for lock of love, I am not even close though!!! it about at my elbows right now. :D
My hair was about 2 inches above my elbow and it was more than enough. You only need 10 inches to donate. :)

I just adore your new hair cut and I envy the lovely COLOR of you hair. The recipient of your hair (from Locks for Love) will be very lucky.
Thanks, I'm always getting comments on my hair color. Most people don't know what color it is though - the mystery question: is it light brown or dark blonde? (It's dark blonde, I was a very blonde kid, it's just gotten darker with age).

poofy
03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
you look great :)

Cat's Meowm
03-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Wow, thanks everyone! You are too kind :p :D

Sue - thanks for posting that. I have heard about this before. My reasoning is this: It's either going to go in the trash can or possibly go to a kid in need. Maybe it won't, and I'll probably never know if it does, but hey, it's doing more good than it would in the trash!

If you (or anyone else) know of any other organizations that will use all of the hair, please let me know. It's still sitting here in a bag.

My hair was about 2 inches above my elbow and it was more than enough. You only need 10 inches to donate. :)

Thanks, I'm always getting comments on my hair color. Most people don't know what color it is though - the mystery question: is it light brown or dark blonde? (It's dark blonde, I was a very blonde kid, it's just gotten darker with age).

What's been called "Dish-water Blonde"?
Looks vibrant auburn to me in these pictures,
but from what I remember - anything between black or blonde was Dish-water blonde. 'cept for red-heads.
There was no denying the difference between "dish-waters" and red-heads. But even red-heads had their variations.