Thread: Antihistamines For Rabbits???

Antihistamines For Rabbits???

One of my rabbits and several out at the sanctuary apparently have allergies. This diagnosis comes from a House Rabbit Society recommended vet.

We were advised by a prominent rabbit vet located in FLA. to give the buns children's liquid antihistamines (Tylenol brand? - sorry, don't have that email with me today)but the formula she gave was X number of mililiters per 5 lbs of weight. Well, I sure as heck can't remember any of my high school chemistry and haven't been able to get the local vet to convert the dosage for us.

So I'm wondering, has anyone out there heard of this treatment and do you know the dosage in terms of cc's or teaspoons or something us regular folks can understand? Thanks so much!!!

Sorry Daisy I have no idea at all. Hope you find out what you want, let us know and keep us informed of any information you may get.

Bunny kisses!

That is a direct conversion:

1 ml= 1 cc

So there is no math involved! Good luck!

Cheers,
    T
    No matter what happens at least my pets still love me.

Make a fast friend -Adopt a Greyound!!

Thanks!

Three of us figured it out 4 times over the weekend just to be sure we got the dosage right. I'm still a little apprehensive about giving Velvet human medicine though...but his poor, poor nose is in such bad shape..... Maybe tonight I'll get up the nerve to givehim a dose.

Please do, this coming from a sniffly person. Poor little bunny! I will tell you that the one time we had to give Miss Hoppy, our bunny, medicine, her vet said it would be simple - just force the syringe in behind those big from teeth. Easy, yah right! We tried and tried, I was holding the bunny, and Paul the syringe, but she'd move her head so fast we couldn't get it. But when we paused, in frustration, leaving the syringe fairly close to her, she lapped the medicine eagerly off of it! Boy, did we feel dumb, trying the hard way, when she liked the taste anyway and took it gladly!

Thanks Karen, you made me feel better. I've got children's benadryl - cherry flavored! -so hopefully he'll like it. I've had to give liquid anbtibiotics before...the vet said to put the syringe in the side of his mouth, behind the front teeth where there's a gap. That usually works well. Wrapping the bunny up in a bath towel so they can't flail and fling themselves around helps too.

My rabbits has allergies

I'm wondering if you can give rabbits Cetirizine (zyrtec). I currently give my bunny benadryl to help with his allergies but it doesn't seem to help. I am wondering is zyrtec would be more effective

Benadryl would work

Give your vet a call to check that out.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery