Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search

Search

What the heck is wrong with our search engine here? It never works anymore. I narrow down the options, vary the options, etc. It rarely EVER works.

I get this message all of the time "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." when I KNOW there is a match and I know there was a post made.

It's getting quite aggrivating. Does it happen to anyone else or does the search just decide not to work for me???

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

i havent had that problem but i dont use it much so it could be it, exactly what are you looking for i can try and see if it works with me..........
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

It usually works for me as long as I don't put in a very general term.

I think the database is just SO HUGE that the script has a hard time sorting through every post and thread ever made. So more specific threads/posts are easier to find whereas a general term may bring up errors.

facebook

I get this when I search for something...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/petoftheday.com/httpdocs/talk/search.php on line 984

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Kay,

I have the same problem. Especially when I'm trying to find a thread that I know was started in the morning, and by afternoon it's no longer coming up in "New Posts" thing... Really miss the "Today's Active Threads" button.

I made a couple of changes to the server. The search engine will now work more often. It is still slow and may take up to 90 seconds to complete a search. The server used to try to find up to a maximum of 10,000 results. After some testing I have found our server has enough trouble finding 100 results in 90 seconds.

The search engine will be quickest when you use "Advanced Search" and narrow your search as much as possible.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Going to test it out tomorrow...

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I have added "Today's Posts" to the navigation bar at the top of the page. Because of this the maximum number of results returned is now 300.

Paul

90 seconds!!! What, do you think we have all the time in the world or something?? :P

hehe Thanks, Paul!

facebook

I have problems searching for old threads too - like the one titled something like: "Where do we all come from?". It's a poll. I have tried narrowing it down, but no luck. I don't quite understand the criteria - could you please explain it?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, do an "advanced search" and choose "all threads older than a year" for starters, then try putting the text you're looking for in quotes.

The thread you are looking for is here

I found it by doing a search for All thread a year old and older, and the world Germany, as where, do, we, and all are all very, very commonly used words. I figured Auggie or Barbara would have put Germany, and viola! There it is!

Thanks Karen, but it still doesn't work. I did do an advanced search: Title, General forum, At least 10 replies, A year and older, Threads. I just now tried the word Germany and four or five other threads came up, but not the one you posted a link to - thanks! The link works, but not the link in my first post on that thread.

I wanted to see the poll.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The poll had been posted by someone who later deleted all his/her threads, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    ***I made a couple of changes to the server. The search engine will now work more often. It is still slow and may take up to 90 seconds to complete a search. The server used to try to find up to a maximum of 10,000 results. After some testing I have found our server has enough trouble finding 100 results in 90 seconds.

***The search engine will be quickest when you use "Advanced Search" and narrow your search as much as possible.

******Paul
    YEAH PAUL... I have seen the script of our LEADER. HE DOES EXIST!!!