Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new sofa - best covering???

Need a new sofa - best covering???

Our twenty year old sofa is looking sad and we want to replace it. It is in a room that we do not use often, but the cats use it to look out of the window....

What would you guys recommend?? We are thinking about leather. Our recliners are leather and yes they have scratches from claws, but seem to be holding up well. The cats are pretty good about using their scartching posts, but the furniture still gets plenty of wear from back claws and playing. One saleslady (who owns six cats herself) said she had heard that microfiber was the covering of choice from what she has heard. It is pretty and looks a bit like suede - but only comes in solids.

I like leather but really want something more warm and cozy looking - a plush patterned fabric maybe.

Any comments or suggestions for me???

Have you considered getting a couch cover? Alexa just got one for the living room couch and it's great. The couch was still comfy but it wasn't looking so great from all the years of wear and tear. The cover ran around $60 and the best part is that it's easy to wash.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    Have you considered getting a couch cover? Alexa just got one for the living room couch and it's great. The couch was still comfy but it wasn't looking so great from all the years of wear and tear. The cover ran around $60 and the best part is that it's easy to wash.
    That is what we did first Laura - but the sofa itself has worn springs and is even propped up with plywood It really needs replacement. We got plenty of use out of it though!

I got a mciro-fiber sleeper sofa just over a year ago and it is holding up great to 6 cats. I have a caramel coloured sofa and I have a number of very colourful pillows on there to give it some life. BTW the cats love the microfiber because it retains heat, so it is nice and warm for them

One of my friends has a very nice and expensive microfiber couch and one cat. His cat is not destructive and is even declawed in the front (I know a bad thing but the cat came declawed, he was a rescue cat) yet his couch is falling apart, getting small rips/scratches/fuzzy ball things, he thinks from the cats back claws from jumping to the top of the back of the couch and on the arm rests all the time (pretty much the only areas on the couch that is messed up and the cat happens to spend a lot of time in both spots).

My other friend has a regular priced microfiber couch and 4 cats and her couch is holding up nicely, after 2 or so years.

I guess it just depends on what brand or something?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I wish I could help,but the only way I would get a new couch is if someone threw one out that I could use.
    That way,I dont lose if the Found Cats get frisky.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Debbie, all I can tell you is that in 3+ years, our leather couch has no issues, even though Mimi and Butter have their claws intact and my dogs sneak up there, periodically (when "Daddy" isn't watching). I say "leather" is the best bet, but I am no expert!

Logan

I just got a microfibre couch and its great! Nobody's even thought of scratching on it and its sooooo comfy!

I was hoping that Catnapper would respond to this thread. I remembered you writing that you had gotten a new microfiber couch recently!

I have no experience with them... other than knowing that I think they are beautiful! And I hope to get one when my current couch "grows old".

Good luck with your choice... and have fun shopping!

Good question!! I am also wondering about this too as I also will be needing new furniture in the near future I now have velour as my furniture fabric and the cats dont ever scratch it, but I was curious about the micro-fiber too.
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Our couch has been WONDERFUL! We bought it 4 years ago when we moved into our house, and it doesn't have ANY picks!!! With all of our cats, that is miraculous!

I don't know how to describe it, except to say that it is a very tightly wound fiber. You can tell by rubbing it and scratching your nail across it, that it wouldn't "pick" easily. I will see if I can attach a picture that sort of shows the fabric.

OK, this one of Grace shows the fabric pretty well. This couch is an Ashley brand couch.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Microfiber is GREAT!!!
    As you know, we have 3 dogs but we also have a microfiber chair & couch. Our dogs like to use the couch to ricochet off of while playing. They have not put one mark in it!

To clean it up, all you do is take a damp rag and wipe it. Liquids do not soak thru and fur is really easily vacuumed or brushed off.

I highly recommend it for anyone with pets or small children. Very durable.

Here's a picture of our's...

People always ask how we keep all of the fur off of ours, really it usually just ends up falling off. It rarely sticks.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    People always ask how we keep all of the fur off of ours, really it usually just ends up falling off. It rarely sticks.
    You're right! I never saee hair on the couch! I was certain that it would be a huge hair collector, but quite the opposite.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Mom,

We LOVE our microfiber couch! Pet hair doesn't stick, nails can't scratch it, and it's WASHABLE! Leather is very nice, but it doesn't look cozy. I think for the front room, you're right, cozy would be better.
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Something in a dark velvet type material would show up the cat hairs to perfection!

Sorry, I'm no help at all, I haven't seen this microfibre stuff and around here the cat owns the furniture.