Thread: Quick Kitty Spot Cleaning - Ideas?

Quick Kitty Spot Cleaning - Ideas?

I am currently force feeding my 11 y/o kitty in order to hopefully turn around her hepatic lipidosis. (The original thread is HERE .) The process is rather messy and food inevitably drips out of her mouth (as well as onto the towel, onto me, onto the floor, etc...). I am having trouble cleaning the food off of her neck, chin and scruff area. I want to do it quickly because after I unroll her from her kitty burrito she wants to bolt to the door and get as far away from me as possible. I considered using a shampoo product, but that will take a while, especially the rinsing. I have been using a cotton washcloth and plain water, but her fur still retains some food matter and dries all spiky and hard in places. Any ideas for how to better clean her up after mealtimes?

I am thinking of something that is somewhere 'in between' plain water and actual shampoo in terms of rinsing time....if that makes sense. She is not the type of kitty who stands for bathing, and she is stressed enough as it is so I really want to minimize stress. I am really clueless about butt baths or any of that since she is a shorthair and has always been so good about grooming.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Kate

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I would try some warm water and a wash cloth,thats what I used with Pouncer when she could no longer keep herself clean.
    The best of Luck with your Beloved Friend.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Kate - I've always done as you are doing, cleaning up with a wet flannel. Yes, they do get horrible spiky fur but, also like you, I considered the stress factor of real clean-up to be very high. After the w/d dries on the fur, I use a comb while the cat is sitting with me, just a few quick strokes and then stop. I keep it with me any time I am with that cat so that I can give a few quick comb throughs of the dry parts whenever I can. Yes, it's annoying to most cats, but it's very quick. I always consider that I'm focused on much larger issues than smelly fur for a few weeks. I've also found that the cat will take over grooming, though they can't get it all out, as soon as they start to feel better.

I really hope Nipo can pull through this. You are doing everything you possibly can for her.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I've used the kitty wipes in a pinch (like baby wipes, but different chemicals and unscented I guess??). They do work well and leave the fur soft and clean. They are a bit pricey, but they are less stressful on the cat than dunking them in water.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I also use the unscented babywipes for needed cleanups. I told the vet that was what I was using the last time Eliot had butt issues and he did not comment so guess it is ok They work pretty well - maybe a quick combing also as well as Lizzie suggested.

Wipes & combing - great ideas! Thank you for your input!!
    Kate

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*