Help! My dog scooby doo-doo has developed a strange loss of hair almost overnight. I just noticed strange small patches of hair loss about the size of dimes at different areas of my dog's body on it's back! At first, I thought it was just odd shedding but it is winter time. I scratched/rubbed him to stimilute the area and exam. It seemed like it had some kind of "scabbing" or dryness to his skin. The fur started falling out today in almost "lumps" in those strange areas.
I don't like giving the dogs baths during extreme cold weather so I was hesitant to give a proper bath. However, I decided to give him one today since it had warmed up enough. That is when I discovered a HUGE RED inflamation and the hair missing from a spot about 2-3 inches long and an 1 wide!
The shampoo I used is for skin irritation. He's had a history of skin sensitivity and allergic to fleas. The bath did seem to "help" a little in the relief. I also sprayed him down with a hydrocortozone/first aid spray after he dried. He also got a benadryl.
Scooby had a stroke a few years back. He's semi-paralazed on his entire right side of his body. He also developed a sore on his foot which I've been treating by covering and spraying dog anti-septic on. It's not gotten worse or better. He often loses the bandages which makes it extra difficult.
My other animals do NOT seem to be effected by this hair loss phenomenom. Shaggy and him share the same bed and Shaggy's got longer hair. Shaggy seems fine. The cat is okay as well.
My concerns are multiplying. The pattern of hair loss almost looks like someone "sprayed" him with a chemical. It's got a "splash pattern" to it. I am having an issue with my neighbor so this concerns me on this level. However, it could be a medical issue. There are no dogs with the "mange" and he is kept inside mostly. My neighbors do have a new puppy but they haven't made contact because it's scared. I haven't been around dogs with mange during this time period.
I have no clue as what this could be. He does have a possible yeast infection in his ear. I've been treating that already with the appropriate medicines. I don't think it could be a yeast infection elsewhere.
I just lost my job and can NOT afford to take the dog to the vet's office. He's not acting like he's in pain or it bothers him a heck of a lot. Giving him the bath and treating him with the benadryl seemed to helps some but I am concerned. Could this be a chemical spray or something else?
He's a a short hair dog beagle/jack russel mix. Thanks!