Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of Stairs

Hi
    i have not yet read the other replies and probably will be repeating what many have written, i have found this.
    many reasons for fear of stairs.
    many breeds that are large to giant have a natural fear of steps, for good reason, are they carpeted? are they slippery?
    if they are carpeted, they have traction, than it helps to bring a dog over that is a buddy, have that dog run up and down the steps in front of your labby, it may take several times, the labby will do it on her/his own in time, when the labby is ready to. dont force, i would not use meds, just relax and let it happen on its own.
    some never do stairs becouse they are obese and know that they just cant heave that weight on the shoulders and hips.
    good luck

www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

This breaks my heart. No telling what that poor dog went through. And I can verify that dogs do have very long memories. Duke was abused by my ex back in 94 and he still hasn't forgotten it. So, just be patient and loving and if your dog doesn't want to approach the stairs ever, don't force it. I think it would be just too traumatic for it. I hope with your love, that things will get much better.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: dukedogsmom ]

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Hi, just a thought, here -- have you thought about building "practice steps"? I used to do it in my obedience classes, used cases of dogfood cans turned cardboard side up and made long steps of them. That way, the pups and older dogs in the class were able to use "big" steps that had a small rise and they could see all of it and seldom had problems. I, too, have had pets that didn't care for steps, mostly because of lack of exposure to them. If this child has been abused on steps (shoved up them or "kicked" down them), it will take a long while, but in the meantime, if you could build a low set of steps or get some childrens' steps and make sure they're secure, maybe you could help her learn that you, specifically, are not going to hurt her when it comes to stairs. Lots of praise and treats in the process and maybe one day, she'll just chase that old cat right up those stairs. Good luck and keep us posted.
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

ktreva52,
    Just wanted to say that I thought your
    idea was very good. Like taking 'baby steps'
    before she gains confidence with the 'big
    stairway'. I'll remember that one. Thanks..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ketreva,
    I liked your idea a lot! It's what we do in teaching an obstacle to a dog in agility, so it should work in here. Only problem is getting the pooch to understand only good things come from the owner and that nothing is going to happen to hurt. Lot's of praise and preliminary work before hand though. Start very small and use lot's of the best treats the dog likes! Even if it's steak!!

Good Idea! That's what makes this site soooo wonderful. Great ideas being shared.