This one is really sad.

I have a wonderful rescue yellow lab girl

Gully is terrified of stairs however.

We have talked to trainers and other dog owners and here is what we have tried and not tried.

1) Just walk up the stairs and get her to follow you. This doesn't work at all. She loves walks (on or off leash) but pulls violently if you go near stairs.

2) Put food on the steps and encourage her.
This can get her to go up one step sometimes but never more. She loves the food, she loves the praise but will not budge.

In addition our cats try to help as well. They sit up one step higher and tease her. She has a lot of incentive to go up those stairs!

She loves the cats and really wants to play but will NOT go up one more step.
The cats every so often bop her on top of the head and she still doesn't move after them.

3) Medicine - the obedience school recommended a medicine that temporarily takes away her fear. Is this a good idea?

When we first got her we took her to the basement to bath her. Even just carrying her downstairs caused her to moan in fear, not bark or whine moaning and cowering and violent trembling.

Needless to say it broke my heart.

She will let me carry her to a tub and bath her (she is very very good with baths) but not go up or down stairs.

I think she was either kicked down the stairs, or dragged by the leash. I also think she slept in a basement

Any ideas??

Oh yeah, needless to say Gully has it made now She has more friends then I do and the neighbourhood kids love to play with her.