Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit bulls: Vicious animals or misunderstood?

I love pits, and like everyone has said, dont blame the breed. . ..

My dog, Boo boo, is on the "dangerous dogs" list at our local police station for attacking someone. If he attacks anybody else, they are going to seize him, and have him put down. . . he is a PEKINESE/ POODLE. . .
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Pit Bulls are very misunderstood. I isn't the dogs fault. It is the environment the owner creates and how the owner treats it that makes this wonderful breed so dangerous. I personally have a lot of problem with people saying bad things about Pits because I know a lot of people who have them and have raised them right. The Pits that I am speaking of are more friendly than most of the Chihuahuas I've been around.

This is a very touchy subject here at PT. Most of us here love all dog breeds, including Pit Bulls.

Personally I have never met a purebred Pittie, but I have met a pittie/lab mix. She was a shelter dog, probably the sweetest one I've ever met. She was pregnant when they found her, when she had her puppies I was in charge of them and the mom. It was really a great experience, with that beautiful dog and her puppies.

I like Pit Bulls, they seem like they can make great dogs... if they don't have STUPID owners. Jadapit has Ebony and Jada, they are both great dogs because they have a great owner.

Sorry, I made this post a little too long. Just don't blame the dogs, blame their idiot owners.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs when raised right! I was also attacked by a pit bull when I was younger, won't go into details, but it was very nasty. That doesn't mean I hate them or even hate the dog that did it to me. Heck, I barely remember the attack, all I have left is a tiny scar on my face. But I absolutely adore pits still! I've met plenty of friendly ones.

Here are a few of my previous pit bull fosters.

My personal favorite, Essy.
    Abandoned in a house with a male pit bull and 2 iguanas, the male and iguanas died before we got there. Lives on a farm in Ohio now.

Elmo(now Cosmo)
    A grandma bought her grandson him, but he couldn't keep him, so we got him.
    Elmo lives in the country with 2 boxer siblings, 2 human parents, and 3 human brothers.

Kovu(now Clifford The Big Red Dog )
    Found across the street, stupid breeders, we weren't giving him back. Lives in the country, not to far from me, with a lab and great dane siblings and a human momma.

Chachi(now Hooch) and Arie(now Peanut)
    Surprise, Surprise Came from the same place that we got Kovu from, found across the street, both are living in Illinois, Peanut lives with my friend's best friend. She is spoiled, human momma is home all the time, has a staffordshire brother, and a human daddy. Hooch has human momma and daddy and a human sister. Both are doing wonderfully!

"To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Quote Originally Posted by Jadapit
    First off, I'm so sorry you were attacked that must have been horrible! I own a pit bull she is not aggressive at all she loves people! A pit bull does mature slow, it takes them until two or three before they are mature. A pit bull is never supposed to show any human aggression at all. So many people that own them have no businnes owning that breed. I honestly think they are very misunderstood when a pit bull does attack it's almost alwyas the owners fault. As they say, "Blame the deed not the breed" If you could meet my Ebony you would love her. I know you might be a little scared because of what happened to you but I can honestly tell you she would kiss you death nothing more.
    I feel the exact same way.

Niņo & Eliza

dog_pug,

have you ever met a pit bull? If not, you should meet one. They are VERY sweet, depending on who owns them..I hope to have one someday after I do my research of course.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses
    dog_pug,

have you ever met a pit bull? If not, you should meet one. They are VERY sweet, depending on who owns them..I hope to have one someday after I do my research of course.

I have never. And I have to admit, I do have a bit against the breed. I have seen two loose ones... in Oregon at my cabin, and I didn't see them for long. They started coming toward me and I screamed and ran into my cabin. I really don't like being around them... they kind of scare me. At the hotel in California (just... about 3 days ago) I saw two being walked by the owner and one growled at me and the other was jumping all over. I think I just don't give them a chance. But my heart just starts beating really hard and I get red and really scared. I don't know why. Maybe because of all of the reports I've seen and read. But I think I really need to give them a chance, but it's hard. Maybe if I met one and my parents made me pet one I'd be better.

I've heard that their senses of sight and hearing tend to go as they get older and so can get confused as to who is near them at times.

ah this debat is as old as time it seems.

A lot of people can not tell the difference between an actual pitbull and many of the bully breeds. So when people do get bitten or attacked they might claim its was a pitbull but a lot of that comes from the fact that that is the breed that gets in the paper so the person assumes that thats what bit them.

I own two pitbull mixes well I own one the other belongs to my dad. Guess what my dad's is very child leary. He(Charlie LabXPit) actually has biten several children and yes most of the time the child was doing nothing at all. I personally chalk it up to the fact that he was never socilized with children and my dad lets him get away with it. Yeah he yells and puts him out on the back porch but to me this is and never will be enough.

Callie - PitbullXLab - Dog that became mine because my step-brother got a girlfriend and his dog was no longer important. Callie is the most submissive thing you have ever seen. She likes to worm her way out of my windows of my car to follow me to a building. When I turn around she instantly throws herself on her back. She was very afraid of children when she was about 6/7months old but after I put her on a leash and correct everytime she barked or lunged away from a child it went away. She now acts like they don't exsist unless they have her toys then she is more then willing to play.

Jared - pure Golden Retriever- My beloved Jared gets very jealous when I pet strange dogs that he will actually growl at them sometimes. We are working on this and hes getting MUCH better.

I think its all on the owner.

NO BAD DOGS JUST BAD OWNERS! maybe not even bad owners but ones that don't understand a dogs needs/responses ect ect.

"There are no killer dogs!

Dogs are not born killers nor do they choose to be killers. What we are seeing in the news with the recent rash of canine violence, is the tragic outcome of humans who own dogs, but do not know how to properly fullfill the needs of man's best friend.

We can prevent dog attacks by understanding dog psychology. Dog owners, the public and especially the professionals charged with issues of public safety can live harmoniously with canines through proper care and communication with the animals. "

- Cesar Millan

I have tons of friends with pit bulls and im so sick of hearing that there vicious...and even the ones that are it has nothing to do with the dog it is how the animal is brought up.These dogs have a bad name because of the people that breed them i watch this show called Animal Cops watch and you will see the stuff that is happening too these dogs..they are beautiful dogs and good companions just like the rest but if there trained to fight,put in fighting rings,then bred what kind of dog do you think you would have?it is all in the genes i feel sooo bad for these dogs and the way some treat them it is not fair

My neighbors across the street own a pittbull which i was not aware of , i have never seen him before and they have lived here one year, anyway i saw a Black Pittie standing in the middle of the street barking at people walking by, and i went outside and i talked sweet to him and he wagged his tail came running to me and kissed me & then the neighbor came out and called his dog, that is when i found out they had a Pittbull, since then he has gotten out several times and the same thing, he cuddles kisses and wags his tail, he is a HUGE sweetheart!

Shaylee, almost all dogs senses of hearing and sight decline as they age, its not a breed thing. There is a german shepherd a block away from us who is in attack mode until we are close enough for her to recognize us. She's jumped on me growling before realizing who I am. She would be dangerous to a strange person walking down the street but it is because she can't see so well. My rb dog Pepper was deaf and if you startle her she would snap on occasion.
    I personally fear all the loose, overbred, vicious labs in the neighborhood over any pittie I see. I've been bitten by too many labs for comfort and would love to see some bsl against labs. I'd like to see breeding of labs more controlled and owners more controlled. Most owners around here let their labs outside with no leashes and no supervision. I find most are dangerous because they are so unpredictable.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton