Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So SAd WAtch the video...Greenies :(

So SAd WAtch the video...Greenies :(

It is very sad, but can be prevented. I realize not all dogs will stop chewing when told to, however, if watched and made sure they are properly chewed, they are completely fine! Just like any dog chew, toy, treat, etc. It needs to be made sure it's properly chewed before eating.

I guess the sudden outbreak in so many incidents involving Greenies is their increasing popularity over the years, bound to happen to every consumer product out there I suppose.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

You know, it is VERY sad.. but I don't blame Greenies. You should always watch your dog while it's eating any kind of bone and should most definitely not have let it swallow a piece as big as that Boxer had in his intestine.

Out of the millions of dogs who have had greenies only 13 dogs have died, and when you think about that odd, it's not that high.

Again, the problem is people aren't watching their dogs carefully enough, it's not the companies fault. In my opinion, and many of coworkers at 3 different rescues.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

We were just having a discussion about greenies on the Border Collie Rescue and here is what a rescue president said about them:

"I've read a bunch of articles about this before, but I missed the CNN piece. My feeling is that if these things really were killing that many dogs they would have been pulled off the market. Regardless of if they're popular, the company wouldn't be able to afford the lawsuits that would be flying at it.

I've never had trouble with my dogs or cats having greenies, though they don't get them often since they're expensive and my dogs need something that will last a little longer. My boys also chew them up pretty well, at least from what I've seen.

Think about how many dogs die from choking on rawhides or from an intenstinal obstruction caused by rawhide. Nothing that we give our dogs to chew on and swallow is 100% safe. There's always a chance that they'll choke or have some other problem. So it's up to us to supervise and pick the right things for each dog to be chewing on."

But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I agree with the others .... Greenies are like any other treat or item - you MUST watch and control your dog. Dogs can die from eating rawhide, panty hose, rocks, socks, ANYthing.

My sister's dog got the dresser drawer open, after opening the closed bedroom door BTW, and ate about twenty socks. $2,000 of emergency surgeries and two months later, she is fine.

I had a customer who had to rush her dog to the vet at midnight for a likewise costly surgery ... after the dog ate pounds of gravel out the the driveway. They had had the dog, and the gravel driveway, for ten years prior to this with no incident.

My dogs get, and will continue to get, Greenies. And I will continue to watch them while they eat them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

And look what it even said in the CNN video on the back of the Greenies bag:

"As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog".

one thing I don't understand.. maybe I missed it or am dummy but they didn't mention any specifically size what have stucked in those dogs who died.

like, it could be many bit crumbs built up, sticked up together and clogged or was it bigger than a olive? a whole cranberry or the like? either way we can or not blame.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I agree with everyone. I love Greenies, I buy the little ones for my cats, as well as the treats and have never had a problem. If you let your dog swallow a piece of any treat that size - you are at fault, NOT the company. It clearly has a warning on the bag that everyone should follow. Any treat, such as raw bones, rawhide, NylaBones ect. should have your supervision while your dog chews them. Kongs and other chew toys should be checked daily for damage. If you follow the instructions, monitor your dog and buy the right size of treat, you shouldn't have a problem.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

I don't use them myself because I see no health benefit for the risk for me personally. I have other things for them to chew on and with my dogs they can and do chew them up waaaay faster than a bully stick or bone, it's too soft for them, and their floppy jowls hide it while they are chewing so I would never be able to see how big of a piece they had actually gotten off, since they gnaw with their back teeth, unless I was laying on the ground in front of them with my face in their face and even then I most lkely couldn't see in their mouths. So I don't necessairly blame greenies, I just have no desire to use them myself, too expensive for no benefit in my case. I find bully sticks and raw bones better for my two and those are the only chews they get.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Well, this can be common in many pet treats. Rawhide chews will expand in the dog's throat and choke them, even if the bite was small. They are so tough and leathery that if the bite is just slightly big, it has a great risk of expanding in the dog's esophagus. Baisically, those have to be shredded very finely to be completly safe. With Greenies being so compact, I've noticed that it is actually difficult for my dogs to eat them. They give up and leave them all over the house. Other veggie bones also clean teeth.(the bones with the little ridges that you can crack off with your hand) They are also easier for the dog to proporly chew, are broken down better in the digestive system, and are also not nearly as expensive as Greenies. It's very sad, but you do have to be careful when buying pet treats.

Made by I_luv_rusty
    ***I've been Frosted!***

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesRawk
    Well, this can be common in many pet treats. Rawhide chews will expand in the dog's throat and choke them, even if the bite was small. They are so tough and leathery that if the bite is just slightly big, it has a great risk of expanding in the dog's esophagus. Baisically, those have to be shredded very finely to be completly safe. With Greenies being so compact, I've noticed that it is actually difficult for my dogs to eat them. They give up and leave them all over the house. Other veggie bones also clean teeth.(the bones with the little ridges that you can crack off with your hand) They are also easier for the dog to proporly chew, are broken down better in the digestive system, and are also not nearly as expensive as Greenies. It's very sad, but you do have to be careful when buying pet treats.
    What kind of veggie bones do you buy???

Maybe she's talking about Denta-Stix?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah
    Maybe she's talking about Denta-Stix?

ok l wll ck them out..thanks..

I've never given Nicki Greenies, but I have given them to the cats. They LOVE them, but if you're not careful, they'll throw up if you give them more than 2 or 3!

Personally, I think this hoopla is outrageous. Nobody has any personal responisibity anymore. Because THEY have not watched their dog, they blame someone else for THEIR negligence. Pass the buck.... we're becoming more and more of a blame society than ever

Wow! The dog in the picture looks just like my RB granddog, Dale, a swissie! Bella and Ripley absolutely LOVE greenies, although I have to admit since hearing so much bad press I have cut back on how many I give them. I don't see them being as dangerous as rawhides but, as with all treats, we must monitor them carefully. I tend to agree with you Kim. People nowadays are quick to place the blame on anyone and anything but themselves.