Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking ban! Yippee!

Smoking ban! Yippee!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4714992.stm

Personally I think its great! My one concern was what on earth will hubby find to moan about when we go to the pub if no one is allowed to smoke..... then it hit me.................

.........he'll be able to moan about the cold air coming in every time someone goes outside to have a cigarette (sorry dear, only teasing )
    Last edited by Pawsitive Thinking; 02-15-2006 at 09:24 AM.
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I LOVE smoking bans! They banned it here in Florida a couple years ago and I was so happy!

It was just banned in Ohio but there's one county that plans to not follow it. I honestly don't understand why.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Its banned in Appleton and they are thinking of doing other cities in the fox valley. I like being able to go into the bars that serve good food and eat without breathing smoke. It really brought down business though because people go to the next town over to drink and smoke.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

They've just banned smoking in public spaces, such as restaurants in Buenos Aires... I'm really happy about it, it's awful when you're trying to enjoy your food in a restaurant, and you have to smell other people's cigarettes....
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

I love the smoking bans, and yes I used to be a smoker. long time ago. I don't mind others smoking if that is what they choose to do, I beleive in each to their own, which is precisely why I like the bans. I don't think those who choose not to smoke should be forced to inhale it and risk cancers and other illness issues such as allergies and asthma due to it. I know smokers often think they are bieng picked on but they can choose to smoke or not smoke, those who don't can't choose not to inhale it if it's everywhere. Although I do think they should make provisions for those to do want to smoke, perhaps a separate location outside with at least a windbreak or a covered place to do it so they aren't forced to be out in harsh weather if they choose to do it.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Let's hope Chicago is next! According to statistics, I've already had enough second hand smoke that I might as well have been smoking a pack a day for 3 years I'm allergic to it too.

Niño & Eliza

I love them too......if smoking was only harmful to yourself it would be one thing.....but since if you're smoking you can harm others by second-hand smoke, then I'm all for banning it in public places.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

I too am really glad of the ban. I hate walking into places that absolutely reek of smoke, and it'll certainly reduce the number of people who suffer from passive smoking

Zimbabwe 07/13

So it was passed anyway? Even though Tony bottled the decision before?

They've exempted prisons??? You mean there will be more freedom inside prison than out???

I think it's really hard for the people who smoke to quit. Until you smoke and get addicted, you can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to quiet.

Both of my parents are heavy smokers. My Uncle keeps pestering them and saying he knows how hard it is to quit, but he's never smoked so he doesn't.

I don't think it's fair to ban smoking completely from public.

But that's just my personal opinion. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

PS - No, I'm not a smoker.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I am all for the smoking bans. I will be glad when it is everywhere. I also think there should be a peremeter ban around the doorways of restaurants and other such establishments. I don't appreciate having to walk through the cloud of smoke to get inside.

I was a smoker and I quit. It isn't as hard as smoker's make it out to be. It is easier than losing weight and often people will be more tolerant of smoker's than of the morbidly obese. At least with smoking you can stop doing it entirely. You don't have to keep having a little bit in order to survive like with food. When trying to lose weight you can't just quit food cold turkey..(no pun intended ) you have to eat something in order to stay alive. With cigarettes you can just stop. Yes...you can. You just have to make the decision to do so. Those that haven't quit haven't been able yet to make that decision. In my not so humble opinion and experience with both.

Denyce

13. Denyce...may I suggest you consider a career in drug counseling? You could tell all those heroin addicts they just need to make the decision to quit.

The newspaper I used to work for, The Hartford Courant, has a smoking room. It's completely enclosed. Or they can go out on the deck outside (which I didn't like because there was still second-hand smoke). Of course the walls are yellow (eeewww!!)

I smoked for about a year, only a pack a week. That was over 20 years ago.

If people want to kill themselves putting that nasty crap into their lungs, that is THEIR choice. I don't need them choosing for me for inhale that junk.

I'm all for the smoking ban. They should've done it a LONG time ago. But then again, they didn't know about secondhand smoke thing back then either.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I want to say that I agree that smoking should be banned for good. Get rid of it forever. There is nothing good that comes from it at all. Give me one reason to do it that has no con "You can't"... I been around smoke and it smells soooo bad it is very gross I can't stand it at all. If you are going to smoke do it somewhere else not in public places. Go outside, your car anywhere away from people who like to be healthy ( If you thank about it, it has to be hard to quit or there wouldn't be people out there wasting half of their paychecks for a pack of cigarettes. Try giving something you like up forever. (coffee, chocolate). But anyways keep that stuff away from me