Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Nipo is getting some intensive care

My Nipo is getting some intensive care

My sweet and precious 11 y/o feline companion has had a severe decline in appetite since a stressful event in early January. She's had quite a few diagnostic tests run recently and there has been no conclusion of any underlying condition (besides the stressful event). However, today Dr. C thought lymphoma was a possibility.

She is currently under observation at the clinic where I work part-time. She is being force fed and given fluids as needed. She is also on medication for appetite stimulation and anti-nausea. I was in denial for a period and thought that I could avoid force feeding. I was tempting her with every food I could think of and trying to maintain baseline calorie intake with Nutri-Cal. When I posted my first thread about this I stayed up waiting for the first reply (at like 2:45a Hawaii time) and Jen L told me exactly what I needed to hear - force feeding was the next step and now was the time to take it. For that I want to thank her!!

I work with an amazing veterinarian - Dr. A. I trust her completely with Nipo and truly believe that if full recovery is possible, then it will happen under her guidance. She does not work on Tuesdays, so today I had the clinic's other two doctors look at Nipo's case and give me some feedback. Dr. C suspects possible lymphoma (Dr. A mentioned the "C" word yesterday as well). He couldn't pin down what it was, but when he palpated her abdomen it felt a bit "funny." We could aspirate and try to get some cells to test for cancer, but I'm not feeling ready for that yet. I just want to see how she responds to a few days of force feedings. We also took an abdomen x-ray and nothing looked abnormal. Well, except she was gassy – but that happens when you meow piteously every 4 seconds for the 2.5 hours Mommy visits. *sigh*

Dr. Z expressed some concern that her right kidney felt a little asymmetric or something – but this was something very subtle. I know an ultrasound would tell us more, but I want to wait on that. It is much more stressful procedure than quick force feedings, blood draws or sub-q fluids. It takes a long time and she has to be held on her back. She will also probably need her tummy shaved. That ordeal is more than I want to put her through for now, and it won't give us a definitive diagnosis since it is unlikely she has any LARGE masses.

I helped with her afternoon feeding and we administered her anti-nausea medication a full 45 minutes before her force feeding this time. Hopefully she will keep down today’s feedings. She had kept down the morning feeding as far as I know, but early this morning there was vomit everywhere in her cage and it's likely she threw up most of yesterday's feedings last night. I will probably go in daily to help with her afternoon feeding, she seems to be better when I hold (although she's not GOOD by any means) and she also calms down faster if I'm there. She's actually happier up on the exam table with me petting her than in the cage with me petting her. She was purring up a storm on the exam table! Very odd cat I tell you.

She still has a lot of things going for her...even if she is down to 7 lbs. from 9. She's FULL of spunk, life and indignation, LOL. She still has a LOT to say!! I look into her eyes, and I do not see sad, glossy or lifeless eyes- I see NIPO. I am hopeful that after a few more days of force feeding she will start gaining a bit of weight and may become more interested in food. Today when I offered her some treats she would smack her mouth distastefully after sniffing them. She'd also give me that "icky smell" expression that cats give, wrinkling up her nose and everything.

We'll probably run some more diagnostics with Dr. A tomorrow. Probably at least a urinalysis to get some quick feedback on her basic kidney function and we'll also likely send some blood off for an abbreviated panel.

Please keep Nipo in your prayers and pray that I make the right choices so that whatever time she has left with us is the best that it can be.

Also thanks for reading. Yeeesh, I wrote a novel!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Kater, I experienced the same problem with my Auggie twice and each time she bounced back. I’m defiantly keeping your Nipo in my prayers.
    Has your vet ruled out gastric problems? Is she getting her medication orally?
    You might want to discuss an anti nausea shot instead oral medication with you vet.
    Some appetite stimulants can cause stomach upset. The reason I’m asking is because of the vomiting.
    If she has to have an ultrasound and her belly shaved, would she be given a mild sedative or full anesthesia?

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Quote Originally Posted by auggie
    Has your vet ruled out gastric problems? Is she getting her medication orally?
    You might want to discuss an anti nausea shot instead oral medication with you vet.
    Some appetite stimulants can cause stomach upset. The reason I’m asking is because of the vomiting.
    If she has to have an ultrasound and her belly shaved, would she be given a mild sedative or full anesthesia?
    Well, I know the vets considered IBS- but to suddenly start showing symptoms at 11 y/o would be highly unusual. I don't know that they have actively ruled out other possible gastric problems... let's see...a blockage would probably have showed up on the x-rays. Did you have certain conditions in mind? I can't really think of anything else at the moment.

She had not vomited at all until getting all that food. Yesterday was the first time she had a full tummy in quite some time - so I'm not extremely concerned by it. However, if I find out that she did not keep today's food down, then I will start asking Dr. A what we can do differently. I know just by not eating she is most likely making herself nauseous - all those gastric juices are being produced, but they have very little to break down.

She is getting the appetite stimulant orally and the anti-nausea med as a shot. The appetite stimulant does not come in any other form, unless we go to a compounding pharmacy and get it made into a cream - do you think that would be preferrable? Dr. A mentioned it, but I didn't see any major advantage since the pill is small and easy to administer.

In terms of the u/s - I would prefer to not sedate/aneth her at all. I certainly won't consider it until we know exactly where her liver values are. I don't doubt that we could do it without sedating her...it would just be very stressful judging how she handled the x-rays taken today with her on her back. And that was only maintaining the restraint position for around 15 seconds at most!

Thanks much for your post, auggie! I am heartened to hear that Miss Auggie has pulled herself out of this place twice before!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Prayers for Nipo. And I am glad that I was helpful. I wish you both all the best.

Kater I'm still keeping Nipo in my thoughts.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Nipo in our thoughts and prayers

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

There are Pet Angels now with Nipo,so that he is being comforted.
    And Prayers are coming for Nipo,that he will be all right,and that he will be Your Companion,for Many Years to come!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Blessings to you Nipo
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I will be praying for your Nipo.. . ((hugs))
    Van
    Tux and Pesca's meowmie

Keeping Nipo in our thoughts and prayers.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your Nipo.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Prayers for you and Nipo.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'll be keeping Nipo in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she'll get better soon.

Nipo is in my thoughts

Please get feeling better soon sweet Nipo!