Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graham is getting so sore :(

Graham is getting so sore :(

I am almost to the point where I have to leave Graham home when I take Kersey on long walks or take her to the dog park because Graham gets so sore in his bad leg (left front leg) that he gets very lame and limps alot . He was always so strong and fit and agile, and now he is at risk of being left at home when I take Kersey to the dog park. It simply breaks my heart, and I know that Kersey would really miss Graham on her outings because she worships him.

I have already gotten my second refill of Rimidyl for poor Graham. There are some days where he gets two doses, one in the morning and one in the evening, simply from one trip to the dog park. When I do take him to the dog park I have to restrict the amount he runs and plays. I feel so bad having to call him back to me when he starts running too fast or getting too into the play. Kersey gets to do all the playing that she wants and Graham so much wants to join her but I always have to restrict him from too much running.

I wish it never happened. It is worse then I thought. The orthopedic surgeon didn't tell me how painful Graham would be if he ran too much or too fast. He didn't tell me how often I would have to give Graham rimidyl for his pain. I am sad to have lost my active, healthy, energetic Graham. He has aged both physically and mentally a huge amount since the accident and I almost can't bear it.

The pain is not in his actual incision site, it's in his shoulder blade. I do massages and that seems to help a little bit, but I think it's just from the extra pressure that shoulder joint has to put up with due to the lack of bending of his "ankle" joint.

I worry that eventually Graham may need his leg amputated. That is an option if he becomes too sore and/or too arthritic. I just wish it never happened. It kills me to think of Graham's sad look as I head out the door and into my car with Kersey for a fun trip to the dog park. I am just so torn about taking Graham to the dog park. I know that, especially after waiting all day for me to come home from work, he so much enjoyes the dog park and he gets SOO excited when we are in the car and getting close to it. How could I possibly take that away from him? Especially since I have already taken away his agility, which he adored.

I am sorry for babbleing. I just wish it never happened. Graham is my best friend and I am at the point where I need to leave him at home and it absolutely breaks my heart. He's my angel. My most precious boy. My best friend. I just don't know what to do...

Can I ask what happened to Graham? It sounds so awful for him, I'm so sorry I understand what's it like. Angus is getting the same way, & I feel awful when I take Roxey for rides & have to leave him alone, he wouldn't be able to go but about 1/2 mile or so without hurting. He also gets sore when he plays, we aren't giving him the Rimidyl right now, just asprin. I can't imagine giving him 2 a day, again, I'm so sorry Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Bless his heart, Leslie. I hate to hear that he is hurting. You're just going to have to map out a different plan for him, and give him equal one on one time. Don't you wish you could just add a few more hours to your day? Is there a place he can swim? Or could you just take him on a leisurely walk, by himself, so he could get outside and enjoy being with you? Maybe Dan needs to take one, and you the other, and give them each the kind of exercise they need.

Don't give up! I know you'll figure out the right program for him, but I certainly understand your worry and concern. His life, and yours, have changed dramatically over this whole ordeal.

Anna, there is a post way back in this section about Graham's accident. I didn't have time to find it for you this morning, but if you use the search feature and look in Dog Health for a topic that is something like "Graham had an accident", you can go back read all that this boy went through after taking a fall off of a second floor balcony and the subsequent surgery and rehab that was required. He had quite a hard time, but his loving mom and dad, have gotten him through it.

Leslie, is it too hard on you and Graham to take him along but have him stay with you while Kersey runs? I also liked Logan's idea about taking them somewhere where they can swim. Swimming is a great activitiy with little stress to the joints!

I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. Hang in there and keep your chin up. I know you will figure something out!

Swimming should be good for injury

Sorry to hear about your pup and its slow recovery from the injury. There are joint supplements you can buy....similar to those (minerals/vitamins) for humans. I too think swimming would be good.....

I feel so sorry for Graham. AWwwwwww. Poor guy.

Re: Swimming should be good for injury

Originally posted by sasvermont
    Sorry to hear about your pup and its slow recovery from the injury. There are joint supplements you can buy....similar to those (minerals/vitamins) for humans. I too think swimming would be good.....

I feel so sorry for Graham. AWwwwwww. Poor guy.
    Thank you so much. Yes it's so hard. He's so precious to me, so it's very difficult to see him in pain so often. Graham does get a very good quality glucosomine supplement daily and that will continue for the rest of his life. I do take him swimming and he does very much enjoy that. I guess I have some decisions about the dog park. In order to prevent Kersey from becoming bored, not only does she get training, but she goes to the dog park 4-6 times per week, depending on the weather.

Thank you so much for caring. This is just another reminder that this is not overwith.

I was reading this and was going to say why don't you try glucosomine, My moms horse had 3 bad injuries when she was between 2-4yo and now has joint problems. She is also very young still and will probably need to be on glucosomine for the rest of her life. Also, When my mom went into the health store to talk to them about getting in glucosomine the man told her she needs to add garlic and vitamin C also. She spoke to her vet about this and she also said the same thing. They help absorb the glucosomine, Also the vitamin C promotes the growth of connective tissue.
    This is the case for people and horses so i'm sure it is the same for dogs. You might want to ask your vet about this.....

Leslie, I'm so very sorry to hear this. I can understand how heartbreaking this is for you. I can't offer any advice but I just want to let you know that I'll be thinking of you and Graham. DOn't give up, you will find a good programe to keep him excercise that will also prevent him from getting bored. Please take care and give that wonderful boy of yours a huge hug from me.

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, could you use a child's wagon or stroller to take Graham on your walks? That way he could be with you but not actually have to walk and stress his leg more.

Leslie, I know how heartbreaking this is. I can't imagine how hurtful it is to see your baby like that. I would rather it happened to me than our poor, sweet, active Graham.

I just wanted to tell you that I have seen several dogs come through the shelter that have had to have legs amputated. If it comes to this point for Graham (which I doubt it will), it may be better for him. Dogs can still run and play with three legs. Maybe then he wouldn't have pain? Sydney, a dog we had last summer, had his front left leg amputated in a surgery at our shelter. I woke up early the next morning to come in and see him. Sydney felt better than he had in the weeks since he had arrived at the shelter. A few days after that, I was jogging Sydney around our field several times a day. He loved it and could go a lot faster than me!

I don't think Graham will have to have his leg amputated, but if he does I just don't want you to worry. Whatever happens, I know you provide the best life for Graham. Maybe there's something else besides agility that he can become passionate about that doesnt require so much moving around.

I'm so sorry you're going through this
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Here's a little picture of Sydney. Sorry I don't have a better one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Leslie,

I am so sorry that Graham is hurting and you are hurting
    too. It is sad that he can't yet keep up with Kersey.
    I was trying to remember when Graham's surgery was,
    Nov or Dec ? Maybe it's to soon to expect him to be 100%.
    Have you called the ortho surgeon and voiced your concern
    about Graham's recovery time? What's the timeline on this
    type of surgery? Hope you don't leave him behind when
    you guys go to the dog park, but I can understand that
    he might still need to take in slow for awhile longer.
    I know this must be a very tough time for you now. Just
    want to say that you & Graham are in my prayers.
    All The Best, Liz & Buddy.

I am so sorry to hear about Graham. I think everyone made wonderful suggestions. I just saw a commercial on TV for Pedigree joint care treats. You could try those. I think if you go to their website and sign up they will send you a free 10 day sample.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Oh, Leslie, it must hurt horribly to see Graham not able to join in like he used to! I wish it had never happened to Graham, too. He was our most athletic boy! Life is so unfair. I know you will work something out for him. Maybe he just needs a little more recouperating. Hang in there and know that you and Graham are in our prayers.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

Leslie, last night I could not sleep for some reason and I found myself thinking of Graham. When he took his plaster off you took him to that wonderful facility. Have you tried to contact them and ask for advice? Even if the surgeon did not warn you of what Graham might have to face, perhaps they can give you some tips or help you to prepare the appropriate excercise plan. This is just a thought, perhaps you have already done all this.