Thread: Question about Rabies shots

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kitten
    I never said I thought it was effective to vaccinate, just that it was safe to double vaccinate, which is what the original post was asking.

Most vets will re-vaccinate an animal that comes in with a bite wound, even if both biter and bitee are vaccinated indoor cats. It's the theory of CYA.

At the Animal League - and at the zoo - we always vaccinated with Imrab. The zoo vets liked it because it was safe to use even in exiotic mammals that it wasn't specifically labeled for, and because it could go either IM or SQ. As to whether or not it actually prevented an animal from contracting rabies... we never had an exposure so we never got a chance to test its efficacy.

A lot of veterinary medicine, especially in areas of zoonotic diseases like rabies, is about covering your butt. Since it is safe for the animal to vaccinate redundantly, it's best to revaccinate. It won't hurt the pet and it might just be the little extra that prevents a tragedy. Since getting another rabies shot did no harm to Itchy it didn't bother me that he got one, redundant as it was.

Another good reason to vaccinate for rabies: An unvaccinated animal that has a rabies exposure is generally euthanized immediately to prevent the spread of the disease. A vaccinated animal in the same situation can be quarantined until after the incubation period is up, then returned to the owner. If vaccinating will save my pet from being euthanized, I'm vaccinating.
    Yes I can see your point - your last remark sums it all up, if you would otherwise lose your pet to euthanasia anyway, why wouldn't you revaccinate. I absolutely agree. And rabies, I must admit, is a whole different kettle of fish. Having lived in two countries where rabies is not an issue, (England and now Australia) I have not had to factor it into the vaccination equation, I guess I am fortunate there. I still think with regard to other diseases in companion animals and in humans, the whole vaccination controversy is a hot subject and very worrying, and emotions can run high.I lost a cat to a very aggressive cancer that began around a vaccination site so I am biased. My comments are not meant to slag anyone off, only to point to sources of info and points for consideration. Thanks everyone
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

New York City for years, Ohio now. Go me!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat3
    Yes I can see your point - your last remark sums it all up, if you would otherwise lose your pet to euthanasia anyway, why wouldn't you revaccinate. I absolutely agree. And rabies, I must admit, is a whole different kettle of fish. Having lived in two countries where rabies is not an issue, (England and now Australia) I have not had to factor it into the vaccination equation, I guess I am fortunate there. I still think with regard to other diseases in companion animals and in humans, the whole vaccination controversy is a hot subject and very worrying, and emotions can run high.I lost a cat to a very aggressive cancer that began around a vaccination site so I am biased. My comments are not meant to slag anyone off, only to point to sources of info and points for consideration. Thanks everyone
    I lost my Kitt to vaccine induced osteosarcoma, so I completely understand where you're coming from. In fact, the only thing I do vaccinate my cats for is rabies.

I was a zoo vet tech for ten years, and the one thing that was sure to make the hair on our vets heads stand up was anything to do with rabies. There was no joking or leeway on this matter. I guess that attitude towards rabies and vaccinating for it has kind of rubbed off on me, which makes sense. If you get rabies, you die. No exceptions, no cure. So it pays to be over cautious.