Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separation anxiety

This is just NOT going to translate well...a "div" is short for "divvy". See what I mean? Not translatable in it's original form. It originates from a golfing term, or polo, depending on who you believe. A divot is the piece of turf cut out by a bad shot in golf or the pieces cut out of the field when ponies playing polo turn or accelerate rapidly ( also applies to horse racing, show jumping etc.). This is wastage, useless turf that should not be where it is....so "divvy".....so "div". Somebody, stupidly, knowing better, not doing the job or playing the role they should be. I've probably been a div in explaining this term as it could be more easily explained as, "Duuuhhhh!!!!"

Digby....looking back at you before crossing the road is a sign in the right direction. Look at it this way, rather than see it as a challenge - he is checking to see where you decide to go. Waiting for direction and partially accepting it as your decision. You need to change your response to it to alter it. (Hope that makes sense.)

By now, having some knowledge of you as a handler, you know when he is going to look round, right?
    As soon as he is far enough in front and you think he is ready to look, you and your husband turn to face each other. Look only at each other but keep Digby in the corner of your eye. Start to do anything that will get him back without you speaking to or looking at him. Run the other way (before you do this try walking in the opposite direction as soon as you feel he has lost contact with you. Practice a few times in a safe area - it's great fun and as long as you keep it that way the dog will be unable to ignore you.), make a fuss of the other dog, start playing and pushing each other, play with the other dog....anything.
    When he rejoins you walk for twenty or thirty steps in the opposite direction than the original one BEFORE you even acknowledge that Digby is there. Get a sit from Digby, praise, then carry on. If you get to the position you were in when contact was lost the first time and Digby is still in touch - go crazy, have a mad few minutes playing and having fun. Retrace around five steps and go on.
    Practice getting a recall at odd times during a walk. Vary it all the time and reward well. You may find you have to work quite hard at first to achieve this when the dog isn't expecting it.
    On random recall put the lead on when the dog has sat, walk two steps, reward like mad again and release the dog. Do not put the lead on every time and when you do vary the number of steps you take before you release.

When you have a reliable recall you can add a stay, sometimes with the lead, sometimes not, sometimes no lead or stay, sometimes just a sit....mix it up as much as possible taking small steps to get to each level. If the dog respects you then he needs to learn to listen to exactly what you want. It will keep him eager, interested, alert to you and reinforce dominance. The main problem is not to rush things and take it one small thing at a time while keeping it interesting.

Now that I get the original question about him going out on his own - let me reassure you that he is actually looking to you as he now feels that you are a better decision maker than he is. You only have to respond to his look back in a different way.

Hey, I have the same problem with my 4 month old pup, only she has anxiety being away from her family, what do i do?
    When two dogs were at a park, one dog asked the other, "What's your name?" The dog replied, "My name is NO,NO,BAD Dog!"

MichelleN,

Hi, just wondering how the "offical training classes"
    were going with Digby & Romulus ? Any good news
    to report? Best of luck to you !! Liz.

I'm battlnig to poast so I'll make this short. The boys are 100%improved. Training is working wonders!!

Well done!
    That's great news - I am thrilled for you all.

I'm Back! I've just got Internet on my home computer so let's hope I can now post to my hearts content!!

Well, moving home went well and the new house is fantastic and the dogs and cats have settled down well. Digby and Romulus are going to training separately and doing brilliantly. Digby is still a problem when we walk round our neighbourhood but hopefully with time, he will get over the distraction of all these other dogs!

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Carrie. It's great to be back!