Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humane Society Calling me...

Humane Society Calling me...

I just got back from my "training" at the local shelter. I am a volunteer and assigned to socializing the cats currently in cages there.

So, it went smoothly and I didn't adopt any today. I have two already. I know. I know. I noticed that I was really comfortable playing with the cats while future owners were looking....and I sorta have the gift of gab, if you will, and I feel sure at least one cat was adopted because I talked it up so when playing with it. As I was leaving the two adults who had been looking at this one cat, were filling out paperwork....and they said they were taking "Junie", a beautiful long haired gray cat...8 months old....really tempted to take him home myself.

What I discovered today was that I could play an important role in helping others adopt and pick out a good pet for them....and that I don't have to bring them all home. There ARE other folks out there who wants cats, and hey, they usually give them good homes.

I have signed up for Tuesday evenings....for 3 hours...to play with the kitties, one at a time.... I can't wait!

Former User Guest
    That sounds like fun, I wish I could do that too! To play with bunch of cats... I'm afraid I would get too attached though, and I'd want to bring them ALL home

What wonderful work you are doing, SasVermont, making the world better for kitty cats ... Well done!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Oh the thought of playing with kitties all day is just a little slice of heaven. It sounds like you are a perfect fit for this, with the gift of gab and all! haha! Every time you think of bringing one home just remember that NAWTEE CAT, Graemer, that you already have at home!

Having such fun and doing such tremendous good, all at one time! How the kitties must anxiously await your visits, and your love! Thank you for your kindess and generous, caring spirit! Congratulations savsvermont!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh how fun! What a wonderful thing to do! I'm with ya, I'd be tempted to bring a few home myself! How neat that you can help give these precious babies a 'boost' into a new forever home!! Enjoy your time with the kitties!
    **hugs**

That is so cool!! You are helping the homeless kitties so very much...that is wonderful! Keep up the good work!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Tuesday nights

I have signed up for 2 1/2 hours on Tuesdays after working. I have been assigned to playing with the cats - which ever one, for however long I want to play....or groom them....should be fun. What is nice about this particuliar shelter is that they are a no kill place, let cats stay as long as they need to and they pamper their animals! It will be fun to see them get new homes....and hopefully good homes. Lets not kid ourselves, some of these same pets were originally gotten at the shelter or a different shelter. Oh well, luck is important. I always consider my pets to be lucky, since I spoil them so! I am lucky too though!

The temperatures at to be into the low 80's today here in Vermont. Unheard of before! My cats are going right into their summer mode!

What a great service you're doing for all! I love stories like this.

I'm excited for you and will look forward to hearing all about it!! Good for you, for stepping in and giving these cats something postitive.

Be careful... thats exactly how I started out volunteering at my shelter. Before too long I got more and more involved until I ended up with several fosters, 2 new dogs, a full time job, an internship coming up in NYC, and a life long committment to the field of animal rescue
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Wonderful work your doing Sasvermont - way to go!!!

Lynne

This past Tuesday...

Well, I went to the shelter on Tuesday evening and stayed for 2 1/2 hours. The one cat that I thought was adopted out, was not. He is such a dear kitty. So I played with him first. Then three cats were adopted while I was there, leaving only four. Can you imagine that few? Anyway, I played with the remaining cats, taking them out of their cages, hugging them, kissing them, and brushing them. They all loved it and so did I. I had cat hair all over me by the time I got home. I had to strip at the door (once I got inside that is) since I didn't want my guys to catch anything from the other kitties. I had a wonderful time and was rather tempted to offer Junie (the oh sweet kitty) a new home. But since there are so few cats in the shelter, I would like someone else to give this wonderful kitty a wonderful home. I am trying to share.

The pitiful part to this story is the number of dogs and rabbits at the shelter.

The good news is that they are safe, pampered and have a good chance of living out their lives, either at the shelter or in a warm and fuzzy home....hopefully.....

I am glad I am doing this but wonder how long it will be until I have 40 cats, 20 rabbits, 10 dogs and a bird!

Re: This past Tuesday...

Originally posted by sasvermont

I am glad I am doing this but wonder how long it will be until I have 40 cats, 20 rabbits, 10 dogs and a bird!

I know exactly how you feel. If one kitty or doggy or anything was continually passed over, I would feel so bad for it and the next thing you know Tubby and Peanut would have a new friend.

I know the kitty's really appreciated the time you spent with them.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Re: Re: This past Tuesday...

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

I know exactly how you feel. If one kitty or doggy or anything was continually passed over, I would feel so bad for it and the next thing you know Tubby and Peanut would have a new friend.
    I know I would be guilty of this too!!! OMG! It would be so hard to resist those sad eyes!!
    sasvermont, what kitty heaven you must be in! Taking them all out, brushing them and loving on them! OH!!! What a wonderful feeling!!
    **hugs**