Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relapse for Ralph Syracuse???

Relapse for Ralph Syracuse???

I have a strong suspicion that Ralph is having a relapse of pancreatitis. He vomited on Friday and Saturday(the projectile kind), and is in HIS Grainger box in front of the heater. He very reluctantly ate some baby food from my finger. I think he will be at the vet in the morning on Monday. Maybe some IV meds will help. I have given him some sub q fluids yesterday and today. Barry and I both wonder if the cyst that was found on his pancreas in 2004, when he had pancreatitis the very first time, might be the cause, maybe it has enlarged. Please remember Ralph in your prayers, you all helped so much a few weeks ago!!! Thanks, Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Ralphie!

I hope it is something very straightforward, even if it is the cyst and it can be removed. Poor Ralph! How lucky he is to have you.

Prayers are all yours!

Catty1

I hope Ralph will be ok and that you find some food he can keep. All the best for him.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope he'll start eating better soon and also start feeling better soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Ralph will be leaving for the vet shortly. I hate to drag him out of HIS Grainger box!! He did eat nearly a jar of baby food and so far has retained it!! Will post later in the day after he gets back from seeing Dr. Ascher!! Thanks for your prayers!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Good luck, Ralph sweetie!

Good luck Ralph! Maybe you can just put a cover on his Grainger box and transport him in that.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

OH NO! Not Ralph again. I sure hope you are feeling better real soon.

Praying for a good check up.

Ralph was not a happy camper when I dropped him off at the vet(once I did attempt to transport him to the vet in HIS Grainger box, he tried to get out during the drive, now it is back to the carrier!). As I was putting him in the cage, he tried to smack me in the face and was a snarling, growling, and hissing fellow!!! What a change when Barry and I picked him up!!! Head butts and purrs!!! Anyway, Dr. Ascher thinks that yes, the pancreas is acting up again. Ralph will be on Baytril 3/4 tab once a day x28 days. He is holding his weight at 9.5 lbs. An ultrasound will be scheduled next week. Dr. Ascher is concerned that maybe the cyst has increased in size(when it was discovered in 2004, it was about a third of the pancreas). Considering Ralph's age, nearly 14, removing the pancreas may not be the way to go. Then he becomes a diabetic, and would he get thru the surgery and recovery period. When we got home, Ralph did finish the jar of chicken baby food!! So, guess what I will be buying when I go grocery shopping tomorrow!! He is sitting right next to the computer as I write, Ralph is VERY GRATEFUL for all your prayers, words of encouragement, support, and concern!! Ralph just said: PURRRRRRPURRRRR!!BRAOW!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

And a PPUUUUURRRRRR right back to you Ralph. Hope the meds help you feel better. 28 days is a LONG time to give medicine (trust me, I know! ), but soon it will be only a distant memory.

Is there anything that can shrink the cyst? Can it be drained, rather than removing the whole pancreas?

I am glad he is headbutting and purring - sure loves his people, and knows how much he IS loved.

I think we will have to wait and see what the ultrasound will shows. The cyst looks like a hole in Ralph's pancreas!! I have to remember that at nearly 14 in cat years, Ralph is almost 72 in human years. In the years I worked with older people, you learn how much more difficult it is for them to make a comeback after surgery or a major illiness. Barry and I really try to do what is best for all the cats, it is just so much harder as they grow older. Ralph is getting much better to pill, Jenluckenbach, but he does not like it any better!!! He was picky at breakfast, but did lick off the baby food off of Barry's fingers!! Guess where he is right now???
    Nine is Fine!!

Please Get Better Ralph!

I sincerely hope Ralph Syracuse will get better! I have been following the posts on his health and I know how difficult it must be worrying about him and loving him so much and not being able to cure what's making him sick. Naranj and P. K. will send kitty prayers and keep their fuzzy toesies crossed that Ralph recovers and lives a loooong time!
    Naranj's and P.K.'s Momma

Oh no, now it's you who has to wait for the result of an ultrasound!!! You know, I've just been through that scare with Luna.

I'll keep sweet Ralph in my thoughts and hope that the ultrasound will be okay, or that they find something treatable.

I'm glad that he was purring and gave headbumpies, and at least he's eating his baby food!

Feel better soon, Ralph!

Kirsten

Kirsten, the ultrasound has not been scheduled yet. Most likely next week. Ralph did eat some of Tina Peepers' Royal Cannin Hypoallergenic dry food. And started his oral Baytril after supper. He is back in HIS box in front of the heater vent. Thank you all for your support!!!
    Nine is Fine!!