Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: We're Buying from a Breeder

We're Buying from a Breeder

We have made our final decision...

Ugh, I know, I should be adopting from a shelter. We have been searching the shelters for a Labrador Retriever for quite sometime with no luck. It seems that almost all the dogs are lab crosses. Our landlords love big dogs, and have agreed to let us have a Lab. We are going to get a chocolate, show bred lab. Not to put in shows - just the stockier type. I know that they are more calm than the field bred labs.

Now my question is, how in the heck do I go about finding a reputable breeder? I have no clue what to look for/ask? I will be getting a registered/registerable lab puppy - does this always mean it came from a reputable breeder? It would be registered with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club, not the Continental Kennel Club). I know there are people on here with labs, not neccesarily registered ones, but they are still labs. When does a good breeder let their pups leave? 12 weeks?

Why dont I consider a mix? I feel, that I cannot control a dominant breed and shelters dont really know what the dog is crossed with, they make an assumption. Most breeds are recommended for people with older children - not my case. Dont get me wrong - I adore all dogs. Golden Retrievers also fit my lifestyle, but DH doesnt like longhaired dogs (dont ask why, he doesnt have an answer). One part of me feels like a pile of crap not saving a dog from death, but the other part so badly wants to buy from a reputable breeder.

Now, there arent many Lab breeders in BC, but I have found all their websites. If you would like to take a look I can post them.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

Is there any reason you MUST have a pure bred dog - Breeding, showing, etc?

Finding the perfect dog isn't going to happen in a few weeks, especially if you decide to go with a breeder. Keep looking in the shelters. Contact some rescues.

Found this cutie within seconds of looking for shelters/rescues in BC.
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5668695

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...=Dog&preview=1

I guess you have already checked the above ^?. I am still searching for you . It would be a shame to knock back a dog because it is a X breed .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    Is there any reason you MUST have a pure bred dog - Breeding, showing, etc?

Finding the perfect dog isn't going to happen in a few weeks, especially if you decide to go with a breeder. Keep looking in the shelters. Contact some rescues.

Found this cutie within seconds of looking for shelters/rescues in BC.
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5668695
    Gee, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I have many reasons why I want a dog from a breeder.

1.) My local SPCA most likely WONT adopt a dog to me. I dont have a yard and I have a 2 year old daughter, according to the SPCA, most of their dogs wont tolerate small children. I did my practicum there, so I know how their adoption process works. I live in an apartment and the location doesnt help - the SPCA probably wouldnt adopt to me just because of that. They are more strict than any other shelter I have seen. Other rescues can be extremely strict, making adopting a dog harder than it seems.

2.) The avoidance of backyard breeders.

3.) My DH and I both want a Lab, we feel this is the best choice for our daughter. We already had a terrible experience with a Rottweiler, it scares the crap out of me - my daughter could be dead because I chose the wrong breed of dog for our lifestyle.

4.) Like I said, I feel that I CANNOT handle a dominant dog or aggressive dog.

5.) We are still keeping our eyes peeled at the shelters, but most labs are adopted VERY quickly.

There are people with purebred dogs, there are people with mixed breed dogs. Does it make me a bad person for wanting a purebred? I think not.

And it hasnt been a few weeks, it has been over 5 months that we have been looking.

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx

I guess you have already checked the above ^?. I am still searching for you . It would be a shame to knock back a dog because it is a X breed .
    I have looked at all the dogs in every single shelter in BC. I dont feel that I should be looked down upon because I feel a purebred (I dont care about papers) is the best choice for me. I have a 2 year old daughter and not EVERY dog is going to be good with kids. Yes, adult dogs dont have behaviour surprises, but I have all the time in the world for a puppy. If it happens that a lab will come into the shelter that doesnt say "not good with small children" or doesnt say "must have a large fenced yard" or "needs experienced owner" or "not good with cats" I will be happy to have a look.

This place use to be so warm and inviting, now I feel that no matter what I post - I always get negative feedback. I never, ever get "Im so happy for you". It is sad. Really sad.

Why doesnt anyone ever say anything to people that have been here longer than me that are getting a purebred dog? Why am I any different? I am a mature woman and feel my choice is the best for my family. I am NOT buying a purebred because I want to be cool, or show, or breed - but because I want a dog that exibits the traits of a properly bred lab.

Oh and by the way, I never asked for anyones opinions on my decision. I asked for information on finding a reputable breeder...

Hmm...Well, I think a good reputable breeder would feed a good quality dog food, the puppies will have been to the vet quite a few times, and...you should be allowed to see the parents. Oh, and the place should be REALLY clean. Hope that helps
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I see exactly where your coming from . Plus shelters don't know that they are purebred like the one here http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?ac...l=Dog&preview=1
    The very last one says Labrador Retriver! It's no way purebred look at that tail for one! Theres nothing wrong from buying from a breeder if they are good. Oh and Kay she already stated in her first post she wants a show breed lab because she likes the stockier type and they are less hyper then feild bred Labs(you might want to read the whole post!) As for looking for a breeder I will try and find you one I own TONS of the dog Canada magazines they ones they come out with that are packed with info and breeders.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I don't think there's anything wrong with going through a reputable breeder, especially if you have a child. A lot of dogs in shelters are not kid-tested, and I know if I had a little one I'd be scared to "test them" on my kid. As long as you're going through a good breeder, I don't see any problem with it

Now my question is, how in the heck do I go about finding a reputable breeder? I have no clue what to look for/ask?
    You do not want to see things like "Great birthday gifts", "Christmas puppies" or any other thing that makes the puppies seem like objects to make money.

Looking at pedigrees is usually a sure-fire way to see what your dog will end up like. No titles? How do you know what those dogs were like? You probably don't. I know very little about Nova's heritage even after extensive research. Every little bit I found (great gransire's son's cousin, for example ) took a lot of work finding.

Here is an example of an awesome pedigree: Darby's Pedigree. The CH titles are a good sign of a reputable show breeder. You want to see them in a pedigree because most BYBs do not show (however sometimes this does happen). There are a few titles that test a dog's temperment that you should look for. The most common is CGC. CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen and this means the dog went through a test to qualify him as "safe in public" and "obedient". TD and TDI are both therapy dog titles. A dog with either title has been through a series of tests to qualify it to visit nursing homes, hospitals, etc. as a certified therapy dog. Another title is TT, which stands for Temperment Tested. Obedience titles are also a good sign. Here is a page with most (if not all) titles that can be in a pedigree: Dog Titles & Abbreviations

Here is an example of two plain pedigrees: Max and Cheif's Pedigree. These dog's heritage (the top dog is the father of the dog at the bottom) has no titles - not a good sign. Who's to say that his parents weren't horrible examples of Labs - both physically and mentally - and this dog came out just fine? You never want to get a dog with a pedigree like this! I actually contacted this breeder once. Max, the dog at the top, is a rescue. She decided to breed him to "get a dog like him without the abuse issues". She looks fine and dandy, nothing looks wrong except for the pedigree, but when I contacted her about why she bred her dogs, I got a whole bowl of excuses to fish from. ALWAYS talk to the breeders thouroughly, always!

Another thing you want to see is them asking you a ton, and I do mean a ton of questions about you, your daughter, your husband, your jobs, your lifestyle, etc. You do not want a breeder to just hand you over the dog after he/she has recieved the money. You also need to be asking a ton of questions. Here is a good link about that: Breeders

You also want to see health testing. For Labs, hip and elbow screenings by PennHip or OFA are a must. Don't fall for a breeder who says "their hips are fine" or "the vet had a look, we got the ok". OFA and PennHip solidify that this dog's hips and elbows are in good shape, something even some experienced vets can't do. Nova, at the moment, is fine, but her senior years sure are going to suck. She has moderate Hip Dysplasia and mild Elbow Dysplasia - all because her breeder didn't health test their dogs. Elbow Dysplasia is actually more common in Labs than Hip Dysplasia, and I've seen quite a few Lab breeders who still don't test for it. Make sure your breeder does.

Another important health test is CERF (Canine Eye Registration Foundation). You want the dogs to be cleared yearly. Also look for thyroid testing and cardiac testing. Not as important, but still important. Another test that can be performed is for CNM (Labrador Myopathy). It's a very crippling disease that only exists in Labs. However, most breeders don't test for it, so don't assume they're bad because they don't. It's kind of like the cherry on top.

I will be getting a registered/registerable lab puppy - does this always mean it came from a reputable breeder?
    No, and this is something to watch out for. A BYB will try enforce their "papers" to the full extent. Papers, even with good titles, can mean nothing without a good area to be raised in from birth, which a BYB will not provide.

When does a good breeder let their pups leave? 12 weeks?
    Between 8-12 weeks, though 8 weeks is most common. There is new research out suggesting for puppies to stay with mom and siblings until 12 weeks, but a lot of breeders still don't know about this. I wouldn't worry if someone was letting their pups go at 8 weeks. If you've found an awesome kennel and their only fault is that they let their pups go at any younger, please just pay for boarding for the next week and then bring him/her home. A lot of breeders are still letting their pups go at 49 days (7 weeks) because they had always had good luck with it before the research came out supporting the 8 week theory. However, I think it's best to listen to the scientists. Nova was with her family until she was 10 1/2 weeks and she was the absolute *easiest* dog to train. My friend got her Lab pup a couple months prior at 8 weeks and, even though he's sharp, Nova learned most things faster as a pup than he did.

Now, there arent many Lab breeders in BC, but I have found all their websites. If you would like to take a look I can post them.
    That would be good. Or, if you don't want to post them, you can PM me and I'd be glad to help.

You know what, you are as entitled as anyone else to choose where you get your dog from. I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone just because they choose to get a dog from a breeder rather than a shelter. (I didn't say anyone has at this point but often people do). I bought Cracker from a breeder and I don't regret it for one minute. Yes for those who get dogs from shelters, this is wonderful, but not everyone wants to do the same thing and it's not wrong to buy a puppy from a responsible ehthical breeder. It gets tiresome for people to assume everyone should do something a certain way because they do it that way. I have had wonderful shelter dogs, I also have a wonderful purebred dog I bought from a breeder. There is nothing wrong with your decision to do so and don't feel bad about it. Everyone is entitled to do what works for THEM at each particular point in time. If you want a certain type or breed of dog and you want to purchase that dog from a reputable breeder then you go for it. It's your dog, your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Rescue is wonderful, adopting dogs from shelters is wonderful, but so is buying a well bred dog if that's the kind of dog you want.

The best thing you can probably do is research what kind of testing is "required" of breeding stock for the breed you are looking at. Is the breed prone to hip dysplasia, etc etc. And then find out if the breeder has hips, eyes, and other testing done on their breeding stock. That will help you decide if they are responsible about helping bring healthy dogs into the world. Most puppies are fine to leave at 8 weeks, but before that really is not in their best interest. See if they have health histories of past puppies and maybe even see about talking to some people who have bought puppies from them before. Also check on the treatment of the parents, etc. Their living conditions, how many times they breed the bitch in a lifetime, etc. Good luck with your search for the right puppy, and don't feel bad about it.

Yes the problem of too many pets in shelters is awful, but the OP didn't cause the problem and her buying a puppy from a breeder won't stop the problem. I for one appreciate responsible ethical breeders of purebred dogs who try to maintain a breed and health standard. Not all breeders do that but I appreciate those who do. Let's not try to make her feel bad and just wish her luck with her puppy finding. If there weren't good responsible breeders breeding dogs true to breed, pretty soon there wouldn't be any purebreds, only BYB dogs and accident dogs and while those can be wonderful dogs, some people like certain breeds, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is in irresponsible owners who won't spay and neuter their pets, so don't make the OP feel bad for wanting a certain breed or type of dog and for doing research and trying to obtain one from a reputable breeder.

Edited to add that Sarah's post was very well written and informative. Good advice there on what to look for.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    You know what, you are as entitled as anyone else to choose where you get your dog from. I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone just because they choose to get a dog from a breeder rather than a shelter. (I didn't say anyone has at this point but often people do). I bought Cracker from a breeder and I don't regret it for one minute. Yes for those who get dogs from shelters, this is wonderful, but not everyone wants to do the same thing and it's not wrong to buy a puppy from a responsible ehthical breeder. It gets tiresome for people to assume everyone should do something a certain way because they do it that way. I have had wonderful shelter dogs, I also have a wonderful purebred dog I bought from a breeder. There is nothing wrong with your decision to do so and don't feel bad about it. Everyone is entitled to do what works for THEM at each particular point in time. If you want a certain type or breed of dog and you want to purchase that dog from a reputable breeder then you go for it. It's your dog, your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Rescue is wonderful, adopting dogs from shelters is wonderful, but so is buying a well bred dog if that's the kind of dog you want.

The best thing you can probably do is research what kind of testing is "required" of breeding stock for the breed you are looking at. Is the breed prone to hip dysplasia, etc etc. And then find out if the breeder has hips, eyes, and other testing done on their breeding stock. That will help you decide if they are responsible about helping bring healthy dogs into the world. Most puppies are fine to leave at 8 weeks, but before that really is not in their best interest. See if they have health histories of past puppies and maybe even see about talking to some people who have bought puppies from them before. Also check on the treatment of the parents, etc. Their living conditions, how many times they breed the bitch in a lifetime, etc. Good luck with your search for the right puppy, and don't feel bad about it.

Yes the problem of too many pets in shelters is awful, but the OP didn't cause the problem and her buying a puppy from a breeder won't stop the problem. I for one appreciate responsible ethical breeders of purebred dogs who try to maintain a breed and health standard. Not all breeders do that but I appreciate those who do. Let's not try to make her feel bad and just wish her luck with her puppy finding. If there weren't good responsible breeders breeding dogs true to breed, pretty soon there wouldn't be any purebreds, only BYB dogs and accident dogs and while those can be wonderful dogs, some people like certain breeds, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is in irresponsible owners who won't spay and neuter their pets, so don't make the OP feel bad for wanting a certain breed or type of dog and for doing research and trying to obtain one from a reputable breeder.

Edited to add that Sarah's post was very well written and informative. Good advice there on what to look for.
    Well Said
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Warning signs of a bad breeder:

A bad breeder won't let you meet the parents

A bad breeder won't let you see where the puppies live and play

A bad breeder won't ask for a spay/neuter contract signed as you do not plan on showing the dog

A bad breeder won't ask you to return the pup to them if something happens and you can no longer care for it

A bad breeder won't ask you questions about your time, ability to care for the dog, etc. A good breeder may ask so many questions you'll feel uncomfortable.

A bad breeder won't ask you about previous dog experience, patience, experience training, etc.

A bad breeder won't offer to show you that the parents are certified for hips, eyes, etc. A good breeder wouldn't think twice about it.

I congratulate you for being open to a shelter dog if one comes available that doesn't say it's unsuitable for a home with a child. Keep looking everywhere, and the right pup - from wherever it comes - will find you, and you, it.

Just because a dog is purebred doesn't guarantee its temperament, of course. Do ask to meet the parents, at least the mom should be available. Do "test" the pup for shyness or any other potential problems.

No one here thinks you are a bad person for looking for a responsible breeder, just keep in mind it may take quite a while to find one with pups to sell you, and that it will be expensive.

And remember, Labs are puppies for a LONG time. Your daughter will have to learn that anything left on the floor will be destroyed by puppy teeth - is she prepared for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Thank you!!

Just my opinion:

Labs are VERY FRIENDLY and very good with children..

But small children? 2 years old? Good luck. That Lab with that strong body will be knocking her down quite a bit.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

The only thing my daughter cherishes is her Pooh Bear stuffies! She NEVER lets them out of her site. The puppy will have lots of his own toys to play with and I will teach my daughter not to give puppy her toys. Whats hers are hers and what the puppies are the puppies. She has a pretty good understanding that puppies like to rip up toys - her Aunties dog Chester has demonstrated for her! She is really good with dogs and knows simple commands - she is so cute!

Thank you everyone that gave me such great information. Now I understand what to look for. I know what a BYB is and how they *operate*, I just didnt know a whole lot about reputable breeders. Here are all of the websites of the Lab breeders in BC...

Terrarust

Cedarbrae

Duckndogs

Gainspride

Hobocreek

Jandor

Rivers Edge

Shoremarks

Traynors

Tristar

I forgot to mention that money is not an issue for me. What is the normal price for a lab puppy? I have seen some for $300 and others for $1000+.