Thread: digging

digging

molli has started to dig. there is a patch in the yard that has no snow and she digs in it. then when its time to let her in she is FULL of mud. it is driving me NUTS. she's had 5 baths the last two days and i just am getting fed up with it!! i can only let her stay outside for like 2 minutes before she starts digging again.
    please, any suggestions???

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Try taking her for more walks and stimulation, she's most likley bored.

Niņo & Eliza

Take her out on a leash...that way she doesn't have the opportunity to get dirty...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    Try taking her for more walks and stimulation, she's most likley bored.
    Well when I research her breed it says she doesn't need walks as long as she gets enough exercise. I usually don't have time, unless it's the weekend.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Well when I research her breed it says she doesn't need walks as long as she gets enough exercise. I usually don't have time, unless it's the weekend.
    ALL dogs should get daily walk, IMO.

oh... well that makes me feel stupid... lol. well i will start taking molli and sam on more walks. if only my mom would help me because i can't walk them at the same time.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    ALL dogs should get daily walk, IMO.
    I agree with that statement. If you are not walking her then what kind of exercise is she getting?

Welcome to my world though. Tori is a digger and Katie sometimes joins in. It is in Tori's nature to do this but I do think that sometimes it comes from boredom. I try not to leave Tori outside too long because if I do she usually winds up digging a new hole. I'm not always successful at this though . I do notice that when she has had her walk that she doesn't seem to dig as much. She hasn't dug much at all this winter and I'm hoping to get my yard cleaned up this spring and get all that digging under control. Yeah, Right!

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    oh... well that makes me feel stupid...
    Oh, I didn't mean it like that at all What I guess I meant to say is that dogs don't just need walks for exercise but they also like to get out of the house once in a while and see new things too. Even if its just a short walk, or not even everyday, it would still be beneficial.

I have huskies- in other words, diggers. they dig morewhen they are stressed or bored. But to discourage digging in the same spot, we toss cement blocks & rock in the holes & fill them up. guess that means one of these days we'll have wall -to-wall rocks under our yard!

Well the exercise she gets is playing ball in the yard and running around. I would take her to a park out in the woods- called Belle Prarie Park- but she runs away. I guess your right in them wanting to get out of the house, seeing new things, Molli does really like that. But I can't give her many walks until after hockey, which is next month. And then she will get lots of walks. So will Sam.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Because of 2 surgeries, I can't go back to walking Logan yet, so we installed a fence. She has plenty of room to run and chase critters and play. We think she's part terrier of some kind (as well as a herding GSD) because I have holes to China in my yard. I try to stay out with her and play so she's not bored, she just is keen on tracking underground critters like moles, groundhogs etc. I try to wash her feetsies before I bring her in on muddy days. She'll only stop when I threaten "The CAN" (soda can filled with coins).

I've been Boooo'd!

So you can use a can filled with coins... and just shake it every time she starts digging?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Yes. Actually, she's pertrified of anything making a mettalic sound. I only used it one time (Pepsi can with a few pennies in it) and from that point on, all I have to say is "Stop it or I'll get the CAN" and it works for everything. If she continues to be so involved in catching her prey, I will take the can outside and give it a few good shakes with "NO DIGS" and she gets submissive and practically crawls over to me. I guess it depends on the dog. Cody could care less, it was "Oh, it's the can again, yawn". Remember to catch her in the act as you use the can. Cheap, safe and effective.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thanks so much! She hasn't digged in 3 days so far It's a record since she started. LOL... I will make one and then use it when I catch her.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*