Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bark bark bark

Bark bark bark

My neighbors must have been out of town last night. I saw the husband leaving around 6:00 last night with a friend. I just assumed he was going clubbing (as was his habit before the baby) I don't know where the wife and baby are.

Anyhoooo.....

When they go out and are not home, they cage their two doxies. And the male barks from the time they leave til the the time they get home. Which since they didn't come home last night means he barked allll night. I think I got an hour's worth of sleep because I could hear the barking as if he was in our bedroom. He's STILL barking and its 6:30 AM. At some point, he's going to have to give himself laryngitis (sp?)

I NEEDED to get a good night sleep last night because today is the store's Grand Opening. Its going to be a MAD HOUSE. I already feel a migraine coming on from lack of sleep (one of my MAJOR migraine triggers.)

What, if anything, can I say to them about the pup's barking? I simply cannot go through another night like this. I can understand a certain amount of barking, but 12 continous hours worth? I'm starting to have not-so-friendly thought of what to do to that dog.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    I'm starting to have not-so-friendly thought of what to do to that dog.

I'm disappointed in you.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Please remember that it is NOT the dogs fault that it is barking all night. He is more unhappy than you are. And please don't assume the circumstances that the owners left him. Is this the first time he has barked all night?? Maybe an emergency came up for them or something, and that is why they weren't home.

That's why I'm glad I have cats. You don't have to walk them. And you don't have neighbors complaining about their barking.

I do hope you got SOME sleep. I'd definitely talk to them, if they're the kind of neighbors you can talk to. Just explain the situation nicely (as nicely as possible). If they get obnoxious or the barking continues, call ACO. Let THEM deal with it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Please direct your anger toward the owner! I'd try talking to them, if possible. (I know there's no talking to some people) then I would report it to the police. There should be a nuisance law where you live and all night noise is ,indeed ,a nuisance.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

We had similar problems when we lived in the apartments. We had to talk to the dog's owners. And don't worry Kim, when I posted about it on here, I got the same responses - people got mad at me for being mad at the dogs . . . anyway, I would suggest those little foamy ear plugs if the owners don't do anything about it. They do work wonders. Just make sure that your alarm is near your head or you won't hear it cause they do block out any and all sound! Or tell someone to wake you up!
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

people got mad at me for being mad at the dogs .
    Just to make it clear, I'm not mad at Kim. I too have had barking dog problems before and had to 'remind' myself it's not their fault.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Talk to the owners, ask them to consider crating them inside!

Kim,
    I totally feel for you. Totally. I have this same problem with many of my neighbors. We live on very small city lots. I could thow a softball and hit most of the houses backdoors, with no problem, and I don't have a good arm.

My one neighbor's most barky dog died several months ago. YES, I was sad about the death, but, not about the barking. I think maybe it might have to do with not having dogs ourselves that makes the barking more significant?

My other neighbor has left her chow mix (breed mentioning is significant for reasons I will explain in a moment) outside when she leaves for the hours at a time. This dog, whom I adore, barks, barks and barks. Last weekend, we reached a whopping high of 42 degrees. He sat outside for 3 hours. He woke Jonah twice from his nap (and, trust me, this is probably the biggest issue for a full time working mom- no naps, or, a cranky kid). This dog, despite being a chow mix, is reguarly shaved down, AND, lives inside most of the time. So, his coat isn't super thick, as you might expect. I left her a VERY terse voice mail. I told her I would be happy to let the dog in and out as often as once an hour. I told her that it was totally inconsiderate, that I have told her this before, and that I hoped we could come to an understanding. I, too, had very bad thoughts about the dog.

She stopped me in the driveway a few days later, said she never remembered me saying anything about him barking non stop- crap- I used her housekey to let him in! Duh. Of course I mentioned it to her. Her dog was sitting in her house when she came home last time. She then said, "well, it really wasn't that cold out", and last? "Well, he wouldn't come inside, what could I do"?

Maybe walk the ten steps it would take to cross our yards and get him? I dunno, just a thought. Oh, yeah, and why I am at it- walk your dog once a month, please! Give him some exercise! But, that is another thread.

Maybe it is just the people on my street and the one behind me. But, if I had to base my opinion of dog owners on these two streets alone, I would say dog owners don't seem to care that their dogs bark, bark and bark. 2 am, 6 am, 3 pm, it doesn't seem to matter. Why I can hear it as plain as day and they can't is beyond me. I know dogs bark. I am not asking for complete quiet. But, if your dog has been barking 10 minutes- bring it inside.

If I were you, I would try a very nice note, or phone message, with the offer to let them in/out, or babysit them...they won't take you up on it, and they will have a hard time being nasty with you when you are being so polite to them.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Kim I think what bothered people is this line from your post. Maybe if you added a couple of instead of it might have not taken on such a tone. I know you would never hurt a furkid.

I think Cataholic has a terrific idea. Bring the subject up carefully and then see if you could volunteer to leave him out or bring him in or whatever, a few times a day when you are home and they aren't. Of course this would involve an element of trust if they were to give you a house key and some people might not want to do that. I think the main thing is to speak to them in a non-emotional way and they will be more receptive. I am SO AWARE of my dogs' barking and ESPECIALLY in the morning or late at night. I hate letting them out at those times in case they spy a squirrel or critter in the woods. Of course once the barking starts they are called inside. Good luck and I hope you get some rest!

Wow, you've got a dog yourself. you should know it's not the dog's fault. Talk to your neighbors and if that doesn't work, make complaints to animal services.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I had a problem with this with an old neighbor it was at night all people home and it just barked and barked No one did any thing ,asked them to do something didn't . So I started calling them in the night and just hung the phone out the window for a few mintues after a few times they fixed it alright another dog. 2 barkers guess what phone out the window 5 mintues . after about 3 nights dogs were gone. Quiet huaaaaa
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Like others said, it is NOT the dogs fault. I would just talk to the owners about it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I have never understood how people like that don't hear their dog bark.. I bet if it were YOUR dog barking they would hear it in a heartbeat.. Maybe they have the dog on the other side of their house from where they sleep? I think that phone calling of the dog barking is a great idea if talking to them don't help. Let THEM be kept awake and see what happens.

But I would try to talk to them as unemotional as possiable about it first and let them know that lack of sleep is a trigger for those awful migranes so it is not just a lack of sleep you are having to deal with. I would end with "and being the good neighbor you are, I know you will figure out how to solve this delima we find ourselves in...." (if he is otherwise a good neighbor)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

You guys calm down, she's just venting! I highly doubt she actually hurt the dog! I know I've said stuff like that before as well, saying stuff can help from physically doing something, that's the point of venting.
    Now with that said!

I'm so sorry you have a horrible night! I know that when my doxie, Marty, gets locked up to long(this is usually and only at bed time) He'll start barking. It CAN get annoying and keep you awake, for such a small dog he does have a big bark! We usually just tell him to shut up and he quiets right up and goes to sleep. Either that or (my dad is whipped by him) my dad will get up and let him out of his cage and stay up with him.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"