My neighbor asked me to go over to their house twice a day to check on their two animals, a cat and a dog. This was only for the weekend.
Everything went really fine until last night (sunday night, at about 5 pm)
Jojo (the dog) is kept in a large fenced in area and he is chained up to the fence. This dog is always trying to get out, dig, jump over the fence... well, let's just put it this way: Crazy!
Anyway, last night, he tried to escape twice, by digging a large deep hole under the fence AND unhooking himself somehow!
Since I am an early bird, I went over to my neighbors' house at about 8:30 am this morning (monday) to check on the animals. I always check on the cat first, give her fresh food and water and let her run around the house (since she was kept in the large laundry room, I wanted her to get some "free time" around the house, while I was there)
I walked out in the backyard to check on the dog. The moment I walked out there I knew something was totally wrong. I called his name, he didn't move! So, I ran over there and the second I saw his paws straight up in the air, I knew he was dead!
I ran inside, put the cat back, and locked up the doors. I ran as fast as I could back to my house, luckily my parents were there, sleeping. I ran into their room, in tears, shouting: "Jojo is dead!!!" They got up at once and asked me what happened.
My Dad and Brother went over with me to check it out. They carried the corpse away from the scene.
What happened was, since he was an escape artist, late last night he tried to escape from the fenced in area. He did this ok until he wanted to come back in. He had caught his collar on the bottom of the fence (where to hole was) and it was so tight on there he couldn't breathe!!!!!!! It was so tight, so tight! Poor thing!
My dad, and my neighbor, said it wasn't my fault at all, since he wanted to get out. But, I feel so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!