Thread: Calcification of ureter and kidney

Calcification of ureter and kidney

Big Ted has one functioning kidney which has calcification, as does the ureter. I've been told by my vet that micro-surgery on the ureter, while possible, does not have good results since the ureter is so slender that scar tissue impedes urine flow as much as the calcification.

Big Ted's background: Born to a mother with feline leukemia and the only kitten not to be positive. Medical problems of various sorts - PUO's, abdominal viruses, two blockages of the urethra, many UTI's, both kinds of crystals at various times found in his bladder. He's stabilised on sub-q fluidsx3 each week, though he just went through a staph. bladder infection that had to be treated by Baytril and then Clavamox. His renal values on bloodwork look great. He'll be 12 in April.

Questions: Have other posters had experience with cats with calcification of ureters and kidneys? What did you do to help the cat? What problems came up? Has anyone gone the route of a kidney transplant - I believe on the West Coast of the U.S., it's available at one California vetinary hospital.

Thank you in advance for your input. (And if I ever manage to avoide vet bills for more than a few weeks and can afford a digital camera, I'll post photos - Big Ted's a georgous hunk!)

That is something I have not had to deal with. I can not offer any advice. But I wish you the best with Big Ted.

No I don't have any info for you either, Lizzie, I've always had girls.

Hope you can work out something for Ted and he goes on to live many more HEALTHY years with you!

I don't have a digicam either but I can take pictures with my mobile phone - can you?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)