Thread: Kitten behavior??

Kitten behavior??

My kitten Seine, who's about 5 months old, has this weird habit of sucking the pads of her foot when she is comfortable. When I first got her, she tried to suck on my fingers but the vet suggested I discourage that, so I just moved my hand away, and she only sucks on her foot now.
    I was just curious what it means? She was picked up as a stray, so I don't know anything about her past, but is it possible that she was weaned from her mother too young? I'm not really worried about it but I'm interested to know if anyone else's cats do this? Thanks!

Its just a comfort thing. Many kittens do this or suck on random objects. I've had a few that did but just grew out of it.

facebook

My Beth is 5 yrs old and still hasn't grown out of the "sucking thing". I have a bunch of old t-shirts I keep all over the house - they are her "suckies". She will find one, carry it around with her untill she finds me, then puts the "suckie" on my lap and stays there untill either she falls asleep or I need to get up. Silly kitties

Kitty Habits

My little guy is 7 years old and he doesn't necessarily "suck", he constantly licks his left paw. I asked my vet and he told me it's a comfort thing. He only does this when he's lying on my chest before taking a nap. I guess we all have our little quirks...like rubbing our feet together before going to sleep, personally I twirl my hair...I gues our little guys have comfort quirks too!!! I wouldn't worry about it!

My sphynx MooShoo used to suck his own teat as a kitten. He'd crawl under the covers and all you'd hear is this sucking sound. It stopped the minute he fell asleep. He did that till he was 3 years old. I think now it's because he's too fat.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    My sphynx MooShoo used to suck his own teat as a kitten.
    Quite original!
    Van
    Tux and Pesca's meowmie

I wouldn't discourage it, unless you dislike her sucking your fingers (or ears etc.) It doesn't hurt anything and bonds her to you.

My Snowy suckled a faux lambskin for his first year, now he lays on it, squeals, kneads and grinds his teeth. ( I wish he'd suckle instead of grind)