Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My life flashed before my eyes!

My life flashed before my eyes!

I was taking Nicki outside this morning. Like a million other mornings, she walked out with me and stood at the base of the steps waiting to be connected to her leash. I stepped down to hook the leash up to her.... had my hand on her collar, but she saw a beagle across the street so she took off -- I didn't expect her to run off like that so she easily yanked free of me!

She FLEW across the yard with me SHRIEKING at top volume, "NO!". All I saw were the dozens of cars whizzing past on the street in both directions.... she was surely going to get hit. And surely be hit at top speed. All I could do was run after her and scream "no" I think they must have heard me in Alaska for how loud I was I just kept hoping that the drivers might hear me screaming and might slow down expecting something to run out at them.

THANK GOD, on the corner was a crossing gaurd. He's there every morning and knows Nicki from our morning walks. He stepped out into the street and STOPPPED TRAFFIC for her!!!! OMG, she ran safely across the street, said hello to the beagle and I finally got across the street too. I need to give him a thank you gift tomorrow... what do you think would be approriate?

OMG... for an old girl who sometimes doesn't have the energy to get into bed, she sure had a puppy moment! I haven't seen her that spry and that fast in YEARS. I never expected this from her. NEVER.

Now I need to go back to bed -- I've had enough stress for one day!

WOW!!! OMG! How wonderful that he stopped traffic!!!
    Yes, a gift!! But What... maybe gift certs to a nice place to eat? And a wet sloppy kiss from Nicki!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Omg, I'm sure that took 10 years off your life! Stuff like that is so scary. Thank goodness for the crossing guard! I'm so glad Nicki is ok. Are you ok?

I agree with Angie, a gift card to eat would be nice. Everyone like to eat right? Give Nicki a hug for me.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Thank goodness you're both alright! A gift card sounds like a nice idea.

Wow Nicki had a close call! I think any kind of acknowledgement would be very thoughtful, so many people don't acknowledge or say thank you for things. I am glad Nicki is okay.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

How scary. I'm glad everything turned out allright.
    I think a nice thankyou card with maybe some sort of gift certificate.
    Do you know anything about him, like what he likes to collect or do?

Sounds like Nicki will need to have her leash put on before she steps outside from now on.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Sounds like Nicki will need to have her leash put on before she steps outside from now on.
    Thats what I used to do. There was a time where I could never trust her. She was a mad darter. I spent many days chasing after her... and she was hit once years and years ago (only a tap, according to my dad who was chasing her at the time)

The older and lazier she got, the more I let my gaurd down on her. I NEVER expoected her to do this today! She is usually so lazy and sore anymore that we hardly ever take walks because she doesn't have the energy to complete the walk. So to see her run off like this shocked me completely.

She's still out on the leash, happily watching the world go by. There was a time not so long ago that she HATED to be out on the leash by herself - she demanded human attention, but now she's as happy as can be to sniff the air and watch the cars and people walk by. Occasionally she'll get excited about a dog that walks by, but to her just laying there in the grass is pure heaven.

Oh my goodness! That would scare the daylights out of anyone!

I was going to suggest a gift card as well, and try to pick somewhere neutral. My parents got a $100 gift card to Red Lobster for Christmas. I said "But we don't even like Red Lobster" and my mom was like "Yes we do! They have *awesome* cheese biscuits!!!" LOL. So, $100 worth of cheese biscuits may be alright for us, but for some ... maybe not so much

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    OMG... for an old girl who sometimes doesn't have the energy to get into bed, she sure had a puppy moment! I haven't seen her that spry and that fast in YEARS. I never expected this from her. NEVER.
    My first thought was- what? Nicki took off running? No, no that can't be right.
    I bet she had a blast having a puppy moment again. I'm so glad the crossing guard was there and reacted so quickly to stop traffic.

A gift certificate would be a nice idea. At first I though the idea was a little pricey and maybe a gift bag with some little things would be a nice idea, but less costly. Then I realized that 1) he saved you a lot of money in vet's bills (not to mention all the pain he saved Nicki and you're whole family from). 2) men are hard to buy for, especially since you don't know him too well.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Oh my goodness! That would scare the daylights out of anyone!

I was going to suggest a gift card as well, and try to pick somewhere neutral. My parents got a $100 gift card to Red Lobster for Christmas. I said "But we don't even like Red Lobster" and my mom was like "Yes we do! They have *awesome* cheese biscuits!!!" LOL. So, $100 worth of cheese biscuits may be alright for us, but for some ... maybe not so much
    Check the back of the gift card, usually you can use those at any Darden restaurant (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Smokey Boney, Seasons 52, or Bahama Breeze) We love to give those out because there are so many options of places to use them at.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Thank DOg he was there and Thinking . Niki Bad dog. I think a gift card would ne perfect it's not to personal and yet says thank you for careing.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    Check the back of the gift card, usually you can use those at any Darden restaurant (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Smokey Boney, Seasons 52, or Bahama Breeze) We love to give those out because there are so many options of places to use them at.
    Ah, I didn't know that. Thank you!

NICKI!!!

YIKES, I'd have had heart failure. Many thanks to the crossing guard.

My first thought for a gift was gloves, maybe with a scarf or hat set.......for the cold winter mornings to come.

Where's the fainting icon!? Such a scare! (I've been there, so I know how you feel).

My heart was literally in my throat. I'm so glad Nicki wasn't hurt and what a blessing for that crossing guard.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thank God above for that man, he truly is an angel for doing that. I know just how that life-flashing moment is, that indescrible sick feeling like a rock dropping in your stomach as you watch events unfold.

I had that feeling a bit over a year ago when I put Tash on a tie out and she didn't realize she was hooked, ran at top speed to the end, hit the end and fell on the ground on her side and didn't move immediately. I'll never forget that, or forgive myself. I just can't. Even though she was okay and just stunned... That will be something that will stay with me forever.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge