Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male dogs are bad

Male dogs are bad

...This is what my mom thinks, for whatever reason.

Her reasoning:
    Male dogs aren't as smart as females (based on the two we owned, a Dachshund and a Basset Hound X, very stubborn breeds). Male dogs mark everywhere (most I know don't since they were neutered young). They aren't as loving as females (we had this discussion, but in my experience males are more loving... and also more goofy which my parents LOVE because it's usually hilarious ).

Basically, when I get a Dane I want a male. Not only because I prefer males, because girls make wonderful, wonderful pets and I wouldn't trade mine for anything. But, because another female would be a nightmare in my situation. I can tell my mom this all I want, but, I'd really like for her to accept a male instead of just "well, okay, since it's your dog and he won't be here forever..." which I don't think she'll do. I think she'll go for the "nope, my house, and males mark everywhere." speech.

As for marking (I think this is her biggest peeve about males) I was just going to say that male puppies don't mark, and in Danes they mature slowly and won't start marking until well after he hits 18 mo - 2 years (most likely) and he will be neutered around 18 mo. Anything else I can add to the "marking" speech? heh.

I already have plenty of things to back up what I will say when I tell her I want a male (I know she'll freak ), but I'd really like y'all's input. What would you say to someone like her to try to get her to like males?

And, in case anyone's interested: I decided on neither of the breeders I posted before, as I found things about each that I did not like and were extremely important. We're going to dog shows in late February to look for a breeder.

As for males and females, there is no difference in intelligence I'm pretty sure. male dogs do mark, but my Akita Zero only marks outside, never inside. In fact, he has only gone #1 in the house less than 5 times, and never has taken a deuce lol .

I know people like this and only ever have bitches (And have never had a problem aswell ), because "Boys smell" lol and supposedly bitches are more affectionate, not bagging these people because they are good friends .

I myself prefer dogs over bitches i dont know why i just do . Goodluck with your parents on convincing them that boys are great.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Marking I think is just a matter of training. Inside the house you need good housetraining and supervision of a dog that's ready to mark everyhing. Outside it doen't really matter, just not on people or items you don't want peed on. Autumn is a female and goes everywhere when we go to the park, she's dominant and not afraid to show it. My mom taught her male shetie mix to squat to pee instead of lifting its leg. This was before my time so I don't know how she did it. I think most bigger breeds will squat instead of lifting too. This alone might impress your mom a bit.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

LOL! I've owned males all my life, Molly is my first female. I have NEVER had a male marking. EVER.

"Male dogs aren't as smart as females" - pshhh!! In my personal opinion, male dogs are easier to train because they are more laid back and easygoing. FEMALES are more stubborn.. just from my experiences, though. So I could be wrong.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Kia does more marking than most male dogs she hangs out with.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

There's is more likelihood of marking with males. And so far it's not been my experience that neutering before leg lifting stops it. All 3 of mine were neutered around 6 months old, before any marking behavior.

They all 3 mark now. Murph was by far the worst. Until old age, I didn't trust him 100% in the house. He could go 6 months and then out of nowhere decide to mark something inside. He's gone a couple of years now with no incidences. I guess it's too much work for his old bones now. Oz only marks outside and isn't quite obsessed about it as Murph. Gull only marks when he's alone somewhere with me. Guess he figures between Murph and Oz marking the backyard, they got it covered.

As to smartness, I don't see that. I have noticed with mine though that the males had a longer, more rambunctious puppyhood. But once mature and more focused, they catch up with the females.

I will say though, that my lil' female Cairn Terrier, Maddie, I viewed as exceptionally smart. Oh what an easy puppyhood. I use to say she came out of the box fully assembled. Oz though is neck and neck with her. I view their personality differences more due to breed differences then gender though.

Anywho, I think it's a matter of pack dynamic as to which is the better choice. I know with Maddie, as dominant as she was, it would have been a huge mistake to get another female dog. I've not had any real issues with having 3 males though.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Male dogs can mark, but so can females. Both my females will mark (only outside). Nikka even does a handstand pee so she can get higher than any male. With proper housebreaking and neutering their's no reason to say they'll mark in the house just because their male.

To be honest I have 2 males and 2 females currently and had a male terrier for 16 years before he passed. My 2 females are the ones who can have some issues with eachother. My males have always had a laid back who cares attitude. If I had a choice again I'd get either 2 males or a male/female combo. I don't think I'd go for 2 females again.

i have 3 males and none of them have ever marked. they were neutered at 8 months

My mom was also unsure about males because she had never had one. But we got Sammy and she found out male dogs are just as great. And sometimes have a better mood then females. Out of all 6 dogs I've ever had, the two male dogs learned to be potty trained the fastest.

Tell your mom to read this page... http://www.isompets.com/male_vs__female.htm

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I have two males...my mom absolutely did not want a male dog...at all, much for the same reasons as your mom. The biggest thing of course was the marking, she was really skeptical but finally gave in and let me get Micki. The first day he was home my mom was sitting on the couch, Micki came running down, went right to her and lifted his leg Not good, lol. But, he has never done it since, he was neutered around 6 months and Jack still doesn't even lift his leg outside yet, he was neutered at about 2 months (the shelter did it). I will say that when we are out on walks and things, my girls mark much much more than my boys.

Good luck!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

We've always had male dogs, Sydney is the first female dog that has lived at our house. Reggie and Nebo are males.

I think Nebo is the most intelligent of them and the best behaved...he's the only one I took through obedience classes too though. He was neutered at 4 months, it wasn't until he was over a year old that he started lifting his leg. Though he's had accidents in the house, I wouldn't consider any of them because of marking (just because he couldn't hold it!) he's never lifted his leg in the house. Even still he doesn't go out of his way to leg lift, he still squats he just lifts his leg if there happens to be something nearby to lift it on. Though not overly affectionate, he's a very laid back dog, I've heard female huskies tend to be more high strung. The term "bitch" didn't become the slang it is today for no reason.

Sydney is very affectionate, she's a sweetie for sure but we call her a dumb blonde sometimes...she just wants to be petted and loved, she's not really interested in learning tricks much.

And Reggie...well, when he was younger he was affectionate...now he's just old and crabby. The only time I remember him ever specifically marking in the house was after we watched my aunts female dachshund. I don't think he was neutered at the time though. Smokey (RB poodle) did mark in the house, but, once again, we were stupid and didn't neuter him until he was old.

None of my 3 girls mark, they go out pee once and that's it. Buster doesn't mark either, he doesn't even lift his leg. Charlie on the other hand is a major marker. He pees everywhere the other dogs do. He's good in our house, but I don't trust taking him to anyone else's house. When we got him he did mark in the house, I had to keep him tied to me with a short leash, or crated when I couldn't have him tied to me. I don't remember how long I did that, but I now do trust him in the house, I can't remember the last time he marked inside.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Of our three, Sadie is our biggest marker. Not only outside, but if we go to someone elses house who has dogs, I have to watch Sadie the closest, although Spot has been known to mark if there are other male dogs in the house.

Wow, thanks everyone. I never thought of the female-marking thing. Mandy does do that a bit, I'll have to point that out to my mom I see that a lot at work, especially with Jack Russells and other terrier breeds. I have noticed that most males at work don't mark if they're neutered. Most just slightly squat, and sometimes hit their front legs. That can be a pain to wipe off, but still, a female just isn't going to work in our house. If we didn't have Mandy it'd be fine, Nova and Luka like any dog. Mandy generally is okay with most dogs, but I think 4 females would be a nightmare. I don't know if I'll ever have this many females again.