Thread: I was told to ask you this question....

I was told to ask you this question....

my grandma want me to ask you this question. she would be petting her cat sasha she would be purring and enjoying it and then all the sudden she bites her, why is this??
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Some cats get over stimualted. They enjoy it so much and it feels so good that they don't know how to handle all that pleasure... so they bite.

I would be willing to bet that she comes back for more petting a few minutes later

I think that what catnapper above said is exactly what is going on. Our Lizzie does this and I have learned to pet her cautiously and can usually see signs that she is overstimulated - like contorting her body, looking up at me, moving her head around... as if she loves the rubbing but is about to bite. Maybe your grandma can think of it as a "lovebite" because it is likely not Sasha really biting her (like an aggressive bite)

Yup what they said. My boy Buzz gets overstimulated very easily so needless to say I dont pet him for very long. On the other hand you can pet the fur right off of my girls without incident. Strange creatures they are.

thanks so muc, and I was supposed to tell you thanks so much from my grandma, she says that makes sence.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Kim is right on.
    And they get into a play zone where your hand is a Toy,to be played with.
    Tell your Grandmother that if a Cat grabs her hand to go Ouch softly and the Cat should stop biting.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wow, I always wondered that too with Hobo. Or sometimes when I'm giving him catnip he's all rubby... then he bights me!! I guess thats the same...

"Old dogs are like old shoes: they are comfortable. They may be a bit
    out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."
    NEW ADDITION: 6 lovely Rhode Island Reds!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Molly, my sister's cat, does this all the time. She will usually smack her tail down hard right before she bites to at least give us some warning. I once saw an episode of the "Pet Psychic" where they addressed this issue. Sonya Fitzpatrick said that it was static electricity building up in their fur. They sometimes get little electric shocks that we aren't aware of. When it hurts too much, they bite.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

My Dad's cat Miss Kitty is that way. Most of the family is afraid to pet her but me and I have to admit I'm almost afraid sometimes. I've learned her signals but I don't always notice fast enough.

When hubby and I were dating in high school his family had a cat named Tum Tum. She had a three stroke limit and if you didn't know that and stroked her a fourth time you would draw back a bloody arm. I learned the hard way. Some cats are just that way.

From Decker with Love

We call them love bites, and we get them often.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Sounds like our Inka too . One moment she is happy purring, one moment later she growls, hisses and attacks
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Peppito does the same. We just kow it and we have learned to detect when he has enough cuddling and wants us to stop

There isn't much "love" coming from Butter and Mimi when they do this to me, and it is quite often! Seems like after having Mimi for 16+ years, I would have learned by now!