Thread: Infrequent Pee'er???

Infrequent Pee'er???

Jasper, the dog I have decided to adopt (collie/shep mix) is probably a year old. He is the least pee'ingish dog I have ever known. I think he could pee just one time a day! I walk him every night before bed 1/4 mile, simply to encourage him to pee. I bet he does about once every five nights. And, in the am? He would rather come into the house with me than go pee in the yard. The other two pups (well, just one now), pee often. Jasper, never.

Anyone have a dog that pees only 1 or 2 times a day? I presume he IS peeing...as he isn't doing it inside, so it must be outside. I never see him do it, though.

He has complete access to water during the day. He exhibits no sign of sickness.

Just seems odd.

male dogs seem to pee less.. as they "save" it for marking purposes.. so you can check walls.. corners.. bushes.. he might be peeing there.. and that might be why see seems so out-of-pee.. lol

other thing is he could have some UTI.. and struggles to pee.. I think you should check the outsides to see if he´s marking.. he might even pee on someone elses pee..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quite unusual if this is the case. As Isabel said the males have HAVE to mark! My Marlin is guaranteed to water any and all vertical items: stop signs, utility poles, trees, even a person's legs if they stand still in one place too long!

It could be a problem, as if they don't drink enough they may develop crystals / bladder stones.

You can increase his fluid intake by adding some vegetable or chicken broth to his food daily. Not more than 1/4 cup.

Both Katie and Zack are the same way. They seem to rarely go outside to pee. They go out twice at the most. There are plenty of times that Zack will only go out once. Katie has pretty much been that way as a pup. Since I adopted Zack as an adult I don't really know if that was the case for him. I often wonder how they manage to hold it for so long. They are both good and healthy dogs so I don't really worry about it.

I would love to see some pictures of Jasper!

It seems odd to me... my dogs pee every couple hours normally. I mean they can hold it for a long time, but they do every time we go out. Maybe he is peeing while walking and you just don't notice? My boxer boy doesn't take the time to stop and pee, he just pees. lol My boy Sam has to stop and mark like 20 times (even when there is no pee left!) every time we go out.
    I would ask your vet about it. I guess maybe it could be normal for certain dogs.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*