Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Near Bridgeport Connecticut??? HELP!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    If he did, animal control should have some record of it. I'd still love to know where the tenant went, and if she took some of those unaltered cats with her, or if they were all left behind and dumped outside? After all, she's as much at fault as he (the landlord).
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I've been in touch with Wendy from the Bridgeport Cat Project. She has put in several calls to animal control and they have not called her back. We're giving them till 5 pm tonight and then we do a media blitz (tv stations, newspapers). We have GOT to get these cats off the streets by Sunday before the expected snowfall. We're trying to get a group together from BCP to go there on Sunday with traps/carriers to see how many cats/kittens we can get.

We've notified the State of CT of the situation and will be filing a complaint eventually, against the landlord AND the Bridgeport ACO. But first we want to make sure we get all the cats with the possible help of the landlord (not letting on that he WILL be charged with animal abandonment).

*sigh* I guess I'm involved, as I did ask Wendy if BCP has a cage I could borrow to POSSIBLY foster some cats/kittens.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, I can't thank you enough for jumping in and helping these cats out! I hope they're all still around the house, and haven't taken off. Any idea if anyone is feeding them to keep them in the area? I hope also that the landlord cooperates and gives an idea of how many kittens there are versus cats, and can point them out as ones from the house. Never know if a neighbor has let Fluffy or Smokey out for the day, and ends up looking for their cat.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

One of the tenants in the building has been feeding them. I also hope that we're able to get them all.

Jan,

I don't know how you do it, girl. I'm tired just making all the phone calls!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I got an update from Wendy at BCP.

Here it is:

"I went down to Whittier Street in Bpt this afternoon and met up with Evelyn from Cats, Inc. She has already removed a total of 5 cats from there as of today. They are tame enough to be picked up and put into carriers. After we got another one in the last carrier, she left and I was on the phone with the State. Lt. Perez from Bpt Animal Control walked up and told me that Kenny from animal control would be there this afternoon with traps and they would be there on Friday as well. The Lt. said they are going to try and prosecute the landlord who threw them out. I am hoping they prosecute both the landlord and the tenant. I am also thankful for the help from animal control since they apparently do not have to do that according the the State Animal Control Officer. If anyone wants to help trap, please let me know. The longer they are outside the less tame they will be, so we need to get them soon. Poor things, to be thrown out at this time of the year. The estimate is 20 - 30 cats total and after Evelyn left, I saw about 6 more who came out. The rest may have scattered, but should remain in the area if food is left out for them, which one of the tenants is doing and Evelyn has left styro boxes with hay in them for shelter. There was alot of inbreeding, so many of them look alike."

I've volunteered to go with them and trap the cats. I'll let you know whenever I find out something.

I'm glad the ball's rolling now anyway! What's animal control planning on doing with the cats? Hopefully not snuffing them. I've been wondering and worrying about the kittens out there. I hope they're old enough to be on their own should their mother(s) be trapped before them. What an awful ordeal for the cats, but soooo happy somethings being done to rescue them before Winter hits. Thanks for the uppydate Donna!
    Author Unknown ~*~

WOW! This is so scarey and heartwrenching! QSL, God Bless you for posting about this and moomsmom, God Bless you for stepping up and helping out, helping to get this done!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Well, it's snowing in CT (I love it!!! A day to stay in my jammies and watch old movies!!)

I haven't heard anything from the BPC. I'm worried about all the babies out on the street.

I sure hope they got more kitties off the streets, although with it snowing it's the purrfect time to follow footprints.
    Author Unknown ~*~

it's the purrfect time to follow footprints
    What a GREAT idea, oh wise one!!!

LOL Donna! This is the time of year I get into too much trouble.
    Footprints, footprints everywhere
    from nooks and alleys they do stare...
    Cats and kittens on the streets
    looking for a little eats....
    Footprints, footprints everywhere
    is that what I think...
    some cat hair?
    I lure you out with tasty treats,
    and no longer will you be on the streets!
    TADA! (coffee's kicking in lol)!
    Author Unknown ~*~

I spoke with Wendy from BCP this morning. A total of 12 cats have been rescued so far. She asked me if I could foster a female who is spayed, has had all her shots and is negative for aids and leukemia. How could I say no???I haven't quite told my roommate yet. What's one more poop in the box??? Do you think he'll notice one more cat??

Wendy said they're not sure HOW many cats there were. But after the 12 cats, she hasn't seen any. The're going to go into the basement to see if any of them have sought refuge there.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by moosmom; 12-05-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Here's the latest update on the situation:

From Wendy Brown, Bridgeport Cat Project:

"Hi all - quick update on Whittier St. cats that were thrown out into the cold by the landlord. So far 11 have been trapped as of last night. Evelyn from Fairfield was there this am and saw two more. She has removed 8 so far, 3 were adopted, Bridgeport Animal Control trapped 3 which the Bridgeport Cat Project took (we thank them for their assistance) and those 3 have been spayed/neutered/vaccinated/tested. The cats are scared and unsocialized, but not feral. Evelyn has been able to work with them. The sooner we get the rest, the more adoptable they will be.

We now need some foster homes due to the amount of cats there and if anyone knows anyone, etc., etc, please let me know. Please pass this email along to anyone you know who might be able to provide short term fostering to these poor cats. They are not used to being outside and with the cold weather we are having now, this is not a good situation for them.

We now have the information about the landlord that we need and will follow up with Lt. Perez of Bpt Animal Control to see if he is going to prosecute.

Would appreciate any help anyone could give."

Thanks so much for keeping me posted about this Donna. Poor cats must be close to frostbitten in this weather. I sure hope some justice will be served up for the cats dumped like garbage... ...won't hold my breath though.
    Author Unknown ~*~

I spoke to Wendy just now and we're making plans to meet so I can pick up a kitty. I'm going to try and sneak her in while Mark is away this weekend. Wendy said all the cats are pretty young. That's a good thing because I won't have to keep her in a cage long. The younger the kitten, the easier it is to introduce them.

Wendy said the Humane Society of the United States is also involved. Charges will be filed against the landlord. But we need to get ALL the cats out first. She told me that all the cats they've gotten so far get along with other cats, seeing as they were living (all 30 of them) in a one bedroom apartment. Another plus.