Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Katrina Victim Wants Service Dog Back

Disabled Katrina Victim Wants Dog Back

A disabled man who fled Hurricane Katrina to Independence Missouri wants his dog back.

He had to give up his dog which is not only his pet, but his helper.

The outpouring support for this man and his family is just overwhelming. The offers so many people have made to get Shuma back were surprising even to KCTV 5 news.

In order to keep a roof over his familys head, a desperate John Wyrick admits he made a big mistake. Wyrick gave Shuma to Lynn Nevills, a woman he met at the Independence Missouri animal shelter. He had to do it he says, in order to stay in his temporary home which had one rule. No dogs allowed.

But now that Wyrick has found a home, he's asked for Shumas return.

Lynn Nevills says, no way.

Chuck Lund manages Wineburgs Dodge in Kansas City. His sale staff saw Wyricks story last night, and they couldnt just stand by. They all pulled together $500.00 to offer Nevill, and the owner of Wineburgs Dodge matched that offer.

A local citizen in Kansas also has offered $1,000 to return Shuma.

Nevills initial response:
    I said that uhm, I'm a volunteer with the K-9 unit, and uhm you know, I know how to take care of German Shephards very well, I know a lot about them. It seems to me that, if that dog was that much of a service to him, he would have not given it up.

*Reporter* If he were to come over here and ask you for his dog back, would you give his dog back to him?

Nevills: Probably not.

Why? She states her and her family have become attached.

Story and video can be found here:
    http://www.kcm.com/shuma
    Last edited by ciajoe; 09-27-2005 at 11:51 PM.

What a B*%&H !!!! Give the man back his dog lady. Who the H*ll do you think you are?

I just watched the video this woman is just not fit. She actually went on live radio and said this man made everything up that he wasn't an evacuated and he was lying. When there is proven documentation saying he was. What kinda neerve does she have? She is a horrid excuse for a human being.
    Last edited by kittycats_delight; 09-24-2005 at 07:47 PM.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Hey, Independence Missouri is near me.

Anyway, the poor man!!! If I were that lady, he'd have the dog back, no questions asked. He didn't give up the dog because he didn't want it anymore, he did it because he HAD to and because he was looking out for the best interest of the animal.

The poor, poor man!

facebook

how mean! she should give him his dog back! who cares if she has come attached? He's the rightful owner of the dog. That is so mean of them! i would give the dog back.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Once i saw that husband's wife reading the notes and started to cry i started to cry with her. This lady that has the dog is a Bi*** I can't belive her, How insensitive she is , I mean this guy had to go threw crap and now he is stable enough he should get his beloved service dog back. I could never imagine someone not giving my animals back once i got stable and everyone was helping out Can you guys to be a favor and keep me posted!! I hope she will finally change her mind and give this poor dog back to where she belongs
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

She won't give him up because she is "attached" to him?? Looks to me like she stole him. Who the heck decided she was fit to be a volunteer at the animal shelter. Looks to me like she slid through the program just to get a free dog. Here animal shelters are trying to reunite pets with their owners and this so-called "animal lover" is trying to get a free deal. Has the man got the police involved? The reason why I ask this is because last summer, my grandmother's yorkie got loose. A lady found him wandering the street and would not let my grandmother have him back because she said she would have to prove she has his papers, which she had none. So the woman refused to give the dog up. So my grandmother called the cops and she, the cop, and my uncle went and got the dog with no trouble. And this woman said she took good care of the dog-the house was reeking of feces and urine and full of dogs.

Oh I'd like to say a few choice words and possibly some actions towards this lady. If she desperately wants a dog-get it on her own, not steal someone else's dog just because the family is "attached". Selfishness at the most. She ought to be charged

Originally posted by daisyshuman8
    She won't give him up because she is "attached" to him?? Looks to me like she stole him. Who the heck decided she was fit to be a volunteer at the animal shelter. Looks to me like she slid through the program just to get a free dog. Here animal shelters are trying to reunite pets with their owners and this so-called "animal lover" is trying to get a free deal. Has the man got the police involved? The reason why I ask this is because last summer, my grandmother's yorkie got loose. A lady found him wandering the street and would not let my grandmother have him back because she said she would have to prove she has his papers, which she had none. So the woman refused to give the dog up. So my grandmother called the cops and she, the cop, and my uncle went and got the dog with no trouble. And this woman said she took good care of the dog-the house was reeking of feces and urine and full of dogs.

Oh I'd like to say a few choice words and possibly some actions towards this lady. If she desperately wants a dog-get it on her own, not steal someone else's dog just because the family is "attached". Selfishness at the most. She ought to be charged
    I AGREE
    T.j (english setter)

I actually watched the videos online after posting my first message and it breaks my heart even more. Mrs Nevills even looks like a cruel woman. First time I saw her-I thought to myself-Mrs Nevills, that is so a 70's hairdo-if you're gonna put your hair up, put the whole thing up and not let the bangs hang down like that. Looks like white trash to me LOL

What caught my attention in the videos was how an attorney was offering to provide the man legal support to get the dog back-and the man didn't want to take him up on the offer. I wondered why he didn't want to take the offer but then I realized maybe he didn't want to go that far-he said fate will catch up. And Mrs Nevills wouldn't even come to the door when the reporter came by-she's a total wuss And she wouldn't even take the money?? Or another dog?? She is being completely selfish, immature, and cold hearted. I would not allow her to adopt a dog through my shelter nor would I even hire her as a volunteer-she reminds me exactly of Cruelle De Ville, even looks the part...she ought to be ashamed of herself. Wonder if she has a real job-I'd be mortified if I was her boss!

I just hope this story has a happy ending-she doesn't want the money or another dog but she wants to hang onto Shuma. Seems weird to me. I pray that the man doesn't give up and kind of wishes he would take legal action and sue her for every penny she is worth but I know he may not feel like it which is completely understandable.

I also noticed that she claimed he wasn't a hurricane victim-what did she think he was when he gave Shuma to the shelter?? Sounds kind of fishy-FEMA and the reporter confirmed that the man was indeed a victim. What a horrible woman, lying and giving false info about the guy-hasn't he been through enough already!!! Really hope this story ends up happily. The woman is a disgrace

I have a new video up. I am glad people are emailing KCTV5, and writing Cruella Deville.

Keep it up everyone! The latest clip even states
    it is now getting worldwide attention.

I really hope the national media picks this up.
    The more pressure Ms. Deville gets, the better the
    chances are of her having a change of heart.

The new video is on the last site I posted:

If you have not composed Ms. Deville a letter,
    please do so. The more her mailbox fills up, the
    better!

Please email KCTV 5 (The folks who are doing the
    story) and let them know you are supporting Mr.
    Wyrick, and tell them your thoughts.

KCTV5 contact info:
    General station e-mails: [email protected]
    News tips: [email protected]
    Investigative Hotline: [email protected]

(Woman who has the dog)
    Fill her mailbox up from coast to coast, or better
    yet, from around the globe!

Lynn Nevill
    2801 McComas Ln
    Independence, MO 64050

Thanks everyone!

Was the dog provided by a service organization? Usually they would own the dog forever, it's not Wyrick's to give away. That organization should be contacted.

Originally posted by ciajoe
    I have a new video up. I am glad people are emailing KCTV5, and writing Cruella Deville.

Keep it up everyone! The latest clip even states
    it is now getting worldwide attention.

I really hope the national media picks this up.
    The more pressure Ms. Deville gets, the better the
    chances are of her having a change of heart.

The new video is on the last site I posted:

If you have not composed Ms. Deville a letter,
    please do so. The more her mailbox fills up, the
    better!

Please email KCTV 5 (The folks who are doing the
    story) and let them know you are supporting Mr.
    Wyrick, and tell them your thoughts.

KCTV5 contact info:

(Woman who has the dog)
    Fill her mailbox up from coast to coast, or better
    yet, from around the globe!

Lynn Nevill
    2801 McComas Ln
    Independence, MO 64050

Thanks everyone!
    It's a shame, the lady even lives near me!! I should make a personal appearance and give her a piece of my mind!!!

facebook

Originally posted by Jessika

It's a shame, the lady even lives near me!! I should make a personal appearance and give her a piece of my mind!!!
    how can you? shes a wimp and won't even answer the door. Uhh I hate to say this word when i don't even know her but i hate her
    T.j (english setter)

I was thinking the same the Place that trained him to be a service dog should have all the rights to him and could go get him anytime they wanted.
    I know that places are here if you get a service dog from them they have the right to come check on him or take him if you where to give him to someone else.

So i think the best way would be to find the people that trained him for his job and they can go get him. And give him back to the REAL owner.

I really hope he gets him back

KCTV 5 did another piece tonight. They only stated that Shuma is still in Independence with Nevills. One viewer sent the station an email asking them to keep the story alive. The reporter went on to say they plan on staying on top of the story until it is resolved.

Keep those emails flowing into the TV station.
    KCTV 5 contact info

Be sure to send Lynn Nevills a letter in the mail too:

Lynn Nevills
    2801 McComas Ln
    Independence, MO 64050

I set up a forum for this also
    It's on the site http://www.kcm.com/shuma

Looks like Wyrick is getting a new service dog. I have been trying to keep up to date on Shuma's story and as of now, a lady who have heard Wrick's story in trying to get Shuma back, has given hime a pup named Duke. Wyrick willingly took in Duke and is going to train him to be a service dog. He still misses Shuma and wants her back and feels that he will have a hole in his heart for her but he surely appreciates having Duke and will train him to be a good service dog. Professional trainers are even going to help train Duke for no charge. It's a great feeling but to me, this story hasn't been resolved yet-Shuma's still not home! Wyrick still misses Shuma so that goes to show he still wants her back but as I have observed, he is a caring and compassionate man who would rather be a lover than a fighter. I can't express in words how I feel about the Nevills B***h. She ought to be ashamed of herself. When I read the headlines that the dog story had been resolved, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing Shuma went back home. But as I read the story, I become even more angry-yes, glad Duke is going to become the service dog but furious this has to end up this way because of the selfish, selfless, pig headed ways of this so called "animal volunteer who just loves animals". It makes me sick. I hope this story still continues b/c it is apparent that this man still aches for Shuma-what a kind man he is for taking in Duke but I still wishes he won't give up on Shuma. We know he is the bigger person in this story. What will Nevills do with Shuma? Care for him-send him off to be adopted? What a cruel, cold-hearted woman. She ought to feel horrible for what she has done and made this man go through and especially how the story ended up-I hope she is charged for stealing, lying, everything she can be charged for. I'd be ashamed to be her wife, her kids, etc.