I volunteered for GSD Rescue of NorCal at a few events, and I learned SOOO much about the breed in that short amount of time. Most of the dogs (90+%) who were turned into rescue had very unstable temperaments, super high energy and nerves, and almost all of them were in horrendous condition. Consistently, these dogs were of "American" type, with ridiculously curved backs and sloped haunches (total hock-walkers). These dogs were mostly from BYB's, but some were from very popular AKC breeders with Ch show dogs!

I think the BIGGEST red flag you need to look for is anyone who exclusively shows their GSD's in AKC conformation. German Shepherds are NOT Toy Poodles who should be bred to prance around a ring. They are working dogs, above all, and they DO need a job in their life... whether that's a constant companion, a herding dog, a Schutzhund dog, a police k-9, etc. Any breeder you look at should have at least SchH1 titles on all of their breeding dogs and routinely herd with them also. The most important requirement is all of the testing... OFA, Patellas, BAER, etc. GSD's are a very popular, large breed and therefore many of the lines have been ruined by dysplasia and other genetic diseases. You need to get at least a 2-year health guarentee, a spay/neuter contract for pets, and a breeder that is happy to give tons of advice and take back their pup at any time ~ if all of that isn't offered, the breeder is NOT worth your time or money! This is my favorite breeder EVER, of any breed ~ http://www.truehaus.com/index.htm ughhh I love them. I met Cindy and I got to meet 2 of her amazing dogs! I was actually going to get a puppy from them but instead I ended up with Gonzo by chance. Check out their comments page with pics and messages from owners of their puppies... and notice how gorgeous their dogs are! ^.^ they all have nice, sound, beautiful structure and solid compact size. They are NOT sitting on their haunches while standing, and their butt is not 3 inches from the ground because of an awkwardly sloped spine... as you might see in AKC GSD's. They are all working dogs and extensively temperament tested to have the most solid personalities and wonderful obedience you could ever ask for in any dog.

AllAmericanPup... to the contrary, a GSD from working, titled Schutzhund parents has the most reliable temperament you could find anywhere. Schutzhund dogs CANT fly off the handle or go attack whoever, they are a lot less prone to even think of biting anyone than the average neighborhood dog. Schutzhund is basically the highest level of Obedience work - where a dog will literally put his life on the line to complete a task given by his handler. An aggressive dog would never make it in any Schutzhund trial, because the dogs need to release after one word from their handler. Obviously, ANY properly bred GSD will have high drive.... they are a herding dog, and a working dog. Her parents obviously want a high drive dog, if they wanted a dog to lay around the house and not even wake up when burglars break into their house, they'd probably be looking for an English Bulldog =0). Of course, since it does not seem like they intend to work this dog, definitely getting a pet quality puppy is the best route to go. I know what you mean, but honestly, if some one looking for a GSD wants a low/no-drive dog, they should look elsewhere. Drive and the desire to please is what makes a GSD the awesome dogs that they are.

YEAH... this dog from champion Shutzhund parents really looks like he's about to rip someone's face off