Thread: Looking for the breed

Hybrid View

You all probably posted in the Dog General thread. There are to threads
    going on the same subject.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=92792
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Glacier mentioned greyhounds as a suitable dog for an apartment, and wondered how they were off leash. I've got a greyhound mix- she is great off leash- until she sees a bunny rabbit!
    It seems like you prefer big dogs, but have you considered a smaller one, like maybe a basset hound? They are not high energy dogs, and tend to make good apartment pets as they are pretty happy laying around all day! Good luck with your search!

English Springer Spaniels come in two categories Bench and Field - field are definate hunters and the bench have had some of that bred out for conformity's sake.
    They are medium sized, usually calm indoors, loving and people oriented - absolutely lousy guard dogs (might lick an intruder to death but that's about it). They are eager to please so very trainable (important in an apartment/condo), friendly to people if well socialized, and do well romping for an hour or two a day (I take mine to the dog park where he can run and play off leash for about an hour a day).

Cowboy and I have just completed level 2 of obedience - he has done very well and knows all the basic commands. ESS do not do well on their own (love to be with their people) - but do crate well (suggested until at least 2 yo) and the love and wiggles when they come out even after 10 minutes is incredible.

BTW, I am in an apartment with one and it is a good match.
    Wow, another ESS lover! I agree with a springer, they are generally well crate trained (atleast Jesse is), only, with the goldie, that might be a problem unless you get it as a puppy, and it is VERY WELL SOCIALIZED! Jesse was not socialized, so she suffers from fright of men and other dogs that are bigger than her, she also is very dominating. Definetely make sure that the puppy is well socialized.

I would also suggest a Brittany, Sheltie, Collie family, Aussie, ?Great Dane?, or a Greyhound!

Good luck!-
    Steph and the gang

From everything I've read and heard while researching the greyhound, they cannot be let off lead. At all. Ever. They will chase anything, including a gum wrapper blowing in the wind, and they usually won't have a reliable recall. To run and chase is hard-wired into their brain, as are various traits for other breeds. Otherwise, a greyhound would make an awesome pet. Clean, short haired and don't shed much, require little exercise copmpared to what most people think they need, and are couch potatoes!