Thread: Small breeds vs. Golden Retrievers

Small breeds vs. Golden Retrievers

Since after my 10-year old son wrote a research paper about Golden Retriever last year, he started demanding that we adopt a Golden Retriever for its loving, gentle, and intelligent characteristics. On the other hand, his mom prefers a smaller breed. Is there any small breed of dogs that have the characteristics of a Golden Retriever. Both my wife and son like a cute and hairy type. Thanks a lot.

John

John,

I can't really think of a small dog with the characteristics of a Golden. I have both. I have a small chihuahua and a flat-coated retriever. There is a huge difference the two breeds, but I love them both.

Has your son/wife seen a Flat-Coated Retriever? They're just as beautiful as the Golden, and just as intelligent. I have some pictures of mine in one of the threads - her name is Lady.

Let us know what you decide to get afterall and good luck.
    Barbi
    on behalf of Lady/Tobi/Buffy
    http://www.cutefamilypets.com
    a great site for all animal-lovers!
    Has your pet been featured yet?

John, I've answered your post with the suggestion of a Tibetan Spaniel on the General section where you also posted this question.
    Marie

Please realize this response is coming from a Golden Retriever FANATIC!

If you want a dog that has all the characteristics of a Golden then GET A GOLDEN!!!! Why is the size of the dog such a major stumbling block? They are very well mannere in door dogs and if trained fit right into the house no matter what their size is!

John -- Dixieland has a point!
    Barbi
    on behalf of Lady/Tobi/Buffy
    http://www.cutefamilypets.com
    a great site for all animal-lovers!
    Has your pet been featured yet?

Hi! The West Highland White Terrier is small and really sweet. They are hairy and well mannered. They are so sweet and are really trustworthy with children and are really gentle. If your looking for a small dog that is very cute and kind the West Highland White Terrier is it.

P.S. The Westie is related to the Cairn Terrier who is also really sweet.
    Last edited by irishwolfhoundlover25; 03-13-2002 at 09:51 AM.
    I love Irish Wolfhounds!

irishwolfhoundlover25,

Thank you for the information. Where can I find some pictures of West Highland White Terrier and Cairin Terrier? And where to acquire one? Thanks a lot.

John

Hi John! for some great pictures and some really good information on the westie go to":http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/westhighland.htm For breeders I would be happy to find you some in your area but I need to know where you live. Anyway if you don't want to tell me then just look up the West Highland White Terrier on the net. As for the Cairn Terrier I couldn't find that much on this breed. For a picture and some more on the Westie go to: http:www.dogomania.com. After you get there go to "breeds" and then to "w"for the Westie or "c" for the Cairn. I really think that these dogs are great and hope that I could be of some help.
    I love Irish Wolfhounds!

If u dont know what type of dog to get go to www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds

I gave u the wrong address to look at the different breeds. So here is the right one. http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/breeds_a.cfm Sorry about that

Well, this dog might be just the right answer. He's a Golden Retriever-Tibetan Spaniel mix...bringing with him the best of both breeds. His name is Chewie (after Chewbacca) & he's looking for a forever home because he's with the Pocono Pet Rescue, Tobbyhanna PA email [email protected] Chewie's foster mom says he's so good that she wishes all dogs were like him. Well, he HAS got 2 of the best breeds in him.
    Here's Chewie's pic.
    Marie
    Attached Images Attached Images