Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pingo's son & a few other dogs...

Pingo's son & a few other dogs...

You all know my Pingo...

Beautiful, slightly neurotic, fine little lead dog!

Well, before she lived here, Pingo lived with my friend,B. He's a competitive distance musher. Pingo had been bumped from his A team and wasn't getting much work in his yard, which is why she came here. I had Pingo spayed right away--I can't handle females in heat! But before she came here, Pingo had one litter of pups, all named after Toronto Maple Leafs players. Her son, Sundin, finds himself in the same situation Pingo was in--not abused in any way, but bumped from the A team, not getting as much work or attention as he would like.

This is Sundin. I got to play with him a bit this afternoon when I took Jimmy the wandering sled dog home. He has the exact same skull shape as Pingo! He's the last of her litter that my friend still has. A couple of them have passed away and he's rehomed the rest to a tour operator.

Sundin is 6, I think. He's a lead dog, although much like his mother, he prefers to lead a smaller team and prefers to not have to make too many high stress decisions. Pingo loves to lead, but she prefers to pick her own trail if she can!

Sundin seems to be quite a bit like her--a little shy, but warms up quickly. He didn't want to let me pet him too much, but when I turned my back to him to play with the dog next to him, he was all over me. He's not a fighter. He actually gets picked on a bit when the dogs are loose since he's shy--just like my Pacer. Pingo wouldnt' fight if her life depended on it. The first sign of a growl and she's hiding in the back of her doghouse. I have to discuss it a bit more with my hubby, but I think Sundin will be coming here eventually. Adopting Pingo was truly a pleasure--she had no issues to overcome, no abuse, no fears, no bad past. B. takes very good care of his dogs and is very gentle with them.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

While I was over there today visiting Sundin, I got to play with a few other dogs--33 dogs and 6 puppies in total. These two are kinda special to me.
    Two years ago a stray puppy showed up in our yard. He stayed for a week. I advertised him as a black lab cross, cuz that's what I thought he was. He's actually a pointer-husky cross. My friend called me one day and said he'd been missing a puppy and thought maybe I had him. Sure enough, B. came in the yard and Nuggett, as I called him, went nuts! He was thrilled to see his person again! He was the sweetest little puppy. I'd have kept him and we don't do puppies. Today I got to see him all growed up!

His name now is White-Paw. He's a good sled dog and a very sweet boy. It was nice to see him again!

And this is Cookie. Cookie is one of my favorites in B.'s yard. There is a chance she will be coming her eventually too. Cookie had a singleton litter last spring. Unfortunately, the pup died and got stuck. She had an emergency c-section/spaying in order to save her life. She almost died from that alone, but then had a reaction to the anastethic(can't spell that!). She's developed a wheezing problem and has to be on prednisone for the rest of her life. She can still run and still wants to be in harness, but she can't go as far as she used to.

But she's still sweet, happy and very friendly. She'd be a nice match with Pacer--I could run two solid white dogs!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Glacier,
    You truly are a wonder!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing all these pics with us ...... and I cannot wait to see the "new additions" when they eventually happen!!!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

They are beautiful dogs. Just a question though, are they just not
    getting the spay/Neuter message up north? Every dog born is going to need
    a permanent home some day.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sundin is adorable. I love the picture with his little eyes closed. And I personally am in love with Cookie. Glacier you are wonderful to help these dogs, and to even consider expanding your family. Gosh I need to take a nap just thinking about caring for that many dogs and cats.
    Question though, both Sundin and Cookie look kind of small to me (say 50 pounds or less), are they? And if so is that normal in a particular kind of mushing? Do different types of mushing require different body types in dogs, or just different personalities?

well u know... if you cant take cookie ill take her ! shes gorgous!!!!i wish i could have her
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    They are beautiful dogs. Just a question though, are they just not
    getting the spay/Neuter message up north? Every dog born is going to need
    a permanent home some day.
    Most mushers don't alter their dogs. Some are starting to, but most still refuse to. There is an old wives' tale that an altered dog won't pull as hard. It's total crap but alot of mushers still swear by it. There are some mushers who make a point of advertising that their winning teams have altered dogs in them.

The big problem up here for most people is the lack of access to a vet. In the Yukon, unless you live near Whitehorse, there are no vets. Even if you want to, it's hard to get a dog altered if you live in one of the other communities or in the middle of nowhere!
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    Question though, both Sundin and Cookie look kind of small to me (say 50 pounds or less), are they? And if so is that normal in a particular kind of mushing? Do different types of mushing require different body types in dogs, or just different personalities?
    They are both small dogs. I'd say 40 pounds tops. That's a fairly standard size for a distance racing dog. I regularly get teased by other mushers about my giant dogs! Chase and Founder are both close to 80 pounds, but they are two of my very best! Most sprint racing dogs are even smaller. Hobo comes from sprint lines. He's actually a little heavy right now--summer fat! He tops out at 40 pounds & he need to loose five or so.

Sprint dogs tends to be extremely lean and small. Distance dogs have a little more weight on them usually since they are asked to do more work in the course of a day. Most working dogs are far leaner than the average house pet. That's why Jimmy was so skinny after five days on his own. He had very limited fat supplies to draw off when he wasn't getting fed. Even the smallest sled dog eats an amazing amount of food though. A distance dog running the I-rod or the Quest needs up to 10,000 calories a day to maintain his weight.

Personalities come into play more with their team positions than with the style of mushing. Some dogs just can't lead. Earle is one of those. Even in a dire emergency, Earle couldn't lead us home. He can't handle the stress. Other dogs thrive on that, like Paxil. Ozzy only runs in the middle of a team. He likes to be surrounded by his buddies. Chase likes to run in wheel(closest to the sled). He's a momma's boy and needs constant reassurance. It's easier for him to get that if he's as close as possible to me. Plus when you are hooking them up you have to consider who gets along with who...I can't run Deuce and Muskwa together, they'd kill each other. Hobo has to run alone as he's a psycho in harness. Ozzy needs a calm dog beside him. It's a bit like running this yard--a constant balancing act of their needs and personalities.
    --John Irving

Cute dogs! I love Sundin, his markings are beautiful.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

What's the score?

Les'see now ...

Ya took ONE back home ...

And just How Many have you promised to haul away to your place?

It's a wonder Stuart lets you off the property.

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Sundin is just... GORGEOUS!! I would take him home in a heartbeat!! Hehe. You're lucky!!

facebook

gorgeous dogs. I love Sudins markings.

Wow they are gorgeous dogs! I wish i could take one, or two , or five home!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    Les'see now ...

It's a wonder Stuart lets you off the property.

LOL! He would agree with you I bet!
    --John Irving

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    They're all gorgeous! What a pretty boy Sundin is...and, Cookie! She is very pretty...and, Whitepaw! He's so cute, and, looks so happy!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer