Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Coast PT'ers & others, would you be interested in...

East Coast PT'ers & others, would you be interested in...

A weekend PT camping trip?

I thought of the idea while I was thinking about when I go to one of the meetings in Ohio in 2006. I figure if I go, since I live about 7 hours away I'd like to make a weekend out of it (about a 4-6 day weekend, but you's don't need to stay that long, just the weekend is fine). Since I love camping I figured I'd probably just camp somewhere instead of getting a hotel. Then I thought of how neat it would be for us to have a weekend PT camping meeting! I figure there are already some folks who travel to get to the meetings and often stay a couple/few days. And I'm sure there are some campers in that group too.

I figure we could also set aside one of the days for a day meeting at the dog park, for those that can't/don't want to camp or can only come for a day. This way the dogs have a place to romp too!

I was talking to Kay about it and if there are enough pt'ers who are interested she's going to help me (or I'm going to help her, she knows more about Ohio than I do ).

I know it is early, but I wanted to get a rough idea. Besides, if it is something that a lot of people are interested in and especially if we wanted to do it earlier in the year or on a holiday (last years meeting was on Memorial Day) we would need to reserve the sites early!

I don't know for sure yet how things will work (meals, dates, etc...) It all depends on who & how many people are interested.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

We usually drive out for the Memorial Day weekend Sunday gathering. Not interested in camping, but I'd love there to be a lot of Pet Talkers at the Memoprial Day weekend gathering as that's when we can be there and meet everyone!

I love camping also and would love to try and be there...Unfortunately Duncan isn't much of a camper since the canvas tent does absolutely nothing to keep him from chasing everything!!
    So he would not be able to come unless we could rent a camp or something with walls and doors!!

Quote Originally Posted by jennifert9
    I love camping also and would love to try and be there...Unfortunately Duncan isn't much of a camper since the canvas tent does absolutely nothing to keep him from chasing everything!!
    So he would not be able to come unless we could rent a camp or something with walls and doors!!
    Does he have a crate? Or could you get one & get him used to one by then?
    Since this will probably be Kaige's first camping trip (if it's early in the year) thats what I'll be keeping him in just in case.
    If not, most campsites have cabins for rent too!

Or if you can't bring him anyways that ok too (although we'd really like to meet him ). I think Kaige will be the only dog I'm bringing. Nanook is too old for such a trip so he's out for sure. Raustyk *can* *sometimes* be a little dog aggressive so out of respect for others I won't bring her. Although I'd love to in hopes to get her more used to other dogs.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    We usually drive out for the Memorial Day weekend Sunday gathering. Not interested in camping, but I'd love there to be a lot of Pet Talkers at the Memoprial Day weekend gathering as that's when we can be there and meet everyone!
    I'm hoping to do this for the Memorial Day weekend meeting as thats the biggest meeting, the one I really want to go to. I just wasn't sure if it was going to be on Memorial day again this year or not.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs

I just wasn't sure if it was going to be
    on Memorial day again this year.
    Well ... we haven't really "Officially" decided yet ...
    but in years past the Memorial Day (Sunday) Gathurin at Findlay
    has always been the Most Attended of all the Gathurins held at Findlay.

The Holiday is on Monday - giving most folks a THREE-day weekend counting
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday - May 27, 28, and 29th.
    This allows the Long-Haul Travelers to drive on Saturday and Monday,
    and have all day Sunday to Meet, Greet & Party in the Park!

Another "possibility" for a Camping Trip + Dog Party would be the
    Fourth of July weekend. This year (2006) the "Fourth" is on a TUESDAY -
    so some companies will offer employees a FOUR-day weekend -
    Saturday through Tuesday - July 1, 2, 3, & 4th.

Findlay, Ohio, has LOTS of motels;
    and there are several CAMPsites, RV Parks, and State Parks within easy
    driving distance of the Dog Park.

One thing to *remember* about Tent Camping ...
    this is OHIO - Land of "Strange" Weather!

It's not unheard of to have SNOW falling on Memorial Day!

We're (usually) past the Snow Season by the Fourth of July.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I want to go...but I hear that planes don't fly dogs that time of year...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    I want to go...but I hear that planes don't fly dogs that time of year...
    I've never heard of that but then again I don't fly either. lol

I don't know where in Canada you live, but if you live close enough you can drive to NY to meet me & we can drive the rest of the way together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    One thing to *remember* about Tent Camping ...
    this is OHIO - Land of "Strange" Weather!

It's not unheard of to have SNOW falling on Memorial Day!

We're (usually) past the Snow Season by the Fourth of July.

And I thought NY had strange weather. lol
    It sometimes gets cold here Memorial day but I don't ever remember it still snowing.

It snows there till July??? You have got to be kidding me? It has to at least stop by June at the latest I'd think.

I would love to come! I was thinking about going to the Memorial day meeting already and camping would be cool so I didn't have to drive back in the dark! I LOVE camping, don't know how Jack would take to it though...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    I would love to come! I was thinking about going to the Memorial day meeting already and camping would be cool so I didn't have to drive back in the dark! I LOVE camping, don't know how Jack would take to it though...
    Yeah camp with us!!! Even if we just get a few of us together it'll still be fun!

Do you have a crate for Jack? I'm bringing Kaige's crate because this will probably his first time tenting it. lol I don't know how he'll react either but he has to get used to it. I camp a LOT!!!!!

Oh my gosh I WOULD LOVE to do something like that but unfortunately I live in the midwest so that would be a little hard hehe. But ahhh how fun does that sound!! I LOVE camping, Jamie LOVES swimming and it would be so cool meeting everyone and their pups!!

facebook

This camp site sounds pretty nice:
    http://www.koa.com/where/oh/35157
    It's only $26.00 - 32.00 per 2 person tent. There's no extra fee for pets. It's about 50 minutes from Findlay.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    This camp site sounds pretty nice:
    http://www.koa.com/where/oh/35157
    It's only $26.00 - 32.00 per 2 person tent. There's no extra fee for pets. It's about 50 minutes from Findlay.
    That does sound pretty nice! 50 minutes isn't too bad of a drive. We can always car-pool too if need be.

I have AAA and I *think* they offer discounts at KOA campgrounds. I'll have to check.

The price isn't too bad either. But more campgrounds charge per site not person. Most campgrounds allow at least 2 tents pet site. IF money is an issue for some people we may be able to find a site like that???

15 minutes from the zoo!!! Wow, I'll need to find a dog sitter for a day!

I can't find a webpage for some of them yet, but here's some more:
    Sometimes private campgrounds can be really nice, sometimes not. Maybe we can have someone that lives there do a drive by for us?

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&hs=vVt&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&q=campgrounds&near=Findlay,+OH&sa=X&oi=loc ald&radius=0.0&latlng=41044167,-83650000,4595602321906316676

http://www.pleasantviewcampground.com/

http://www.woodalls.com/a/03260_HeritageSpringsCG.html