Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retractable Leads/People!

Retractable Leads/People!

Ick, I really start to hate those things. About 6 months ago, on my way to work in the morning, I saw a lady walking her JRT on a retractable lead...the JRT was fully extended, and the side walk was right on the side of the road. He saw a squirrel on the other side of the road, and before she could react...well you can imagine. (I didn't hit him-someone else did) I see people walking dogs like that ALL the time.

And today...well this was a double hitter, I was walking my semi-dog aggressive boy in the park. He is fully controllable until a strange dog gets right in his face, and then he has a tendency to snap. A woman and her kids come through and are walking their husky mix..the child who was walking it was about 10 years old and clearly not capable of holding on to the dog, plus it was on a retractable lead...so the girl isn't paying attention and the dog just snatches it out of the girls hand. It starts to run straight up to my dog and they're hollering but it wouldn't listen. So I quickly try to turn and avoid the dog, but its trying to meet my dog. So I had to stop and hold my dogs muzzle (I also had a halti on him so he might of been O.K.) And the mothers hollering that her dog is very friendly (but i noticed also very dominant...intent eye stares towards my guy)...and I holler back that mines not. So she finallly is able to get her dog away, and she starts cutting into me as to why I have a "mean" dog at a park. I try to calmy state to her that my dog is dog aggressive and also firmly held in control on a leash, and in heel. So yeah...I was pretty ticked off. Stupid people. (Please keep in mind too..this was not a dog park, merely a neighborhood park with some swings and an abandoned soccer field. I would not ever bring this dog to a dog park.)

I guess this thread wasn't completely on retractable leads, but merely of the brainlessness of some people.
    And I'm not condemning retractable leads...I think they're -great- for walking in the woods or other appropriate places, especially for the ones that runaway...but right next to a busy street, or around people and other dogs?

I agree. I have a retractable leash but the only time I ever use it is for hiking/camping/etc. when I'm pretty much away from other people, dogs, and especially cars! When I walk him around the neighborhood he's on a normal leash.

I *hate* when people's loose dogs come running up to me...Nebo likes most dogs, but if the dog is very dominant towards him he is likely to react. Dogs usually react worse when on a leash as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    I agree. I have a retractable leash but the only time I ever use it is for hiking/camping/etc. when I'm pretty much away from other people, dogs, and especially cars! When I walk him around the neighborhood he's on a normal leash.

I *hate* when people's loose dogs come running up to me...Nebo likes most dogs, but if the dog is very dominant towards him he is likely to react. Dogs usually react worse when on a leash as well.
    same here!!

I have one retractable leash that I use for Ozzy and Keesha when I take them hiking with me...it's not used on the other dogs because they pull and would probably break the leash

I agree, the only time I use my retractable leash is when I'm out camping or hiking. They are very unsafe, not just to dogs, but to people as well --- I can't count the number of times I've been clotheslined by retractable leashes. They can give you VERY deep and painful slices. I had my legs completely sliced up when my neighbor and I were walking our dogs one day.
    I've been BOO'd!

Not to mention that leash is really hard to hold on to! We use it when Niņo goes to the park to run around or if we go out to the forest preserve or if he's in the front yard. I see a lot of people at shows using it to exerscize their dogs in the grassy areas, andI think it is very good for it, too. I hate it when people walk their dogs on them and their dogs runn all over in people's yards and they have no control.

Niņo & Eliza

I think rectractable leads should come with training tips & rules.

I think if you can use them correctly AND have control over the dog AND use them with common sense in certain areas (not near roads, not in vet offices etc...)

A LOT of people use them & don't know how to control the lead or the dog on the other end. That really irks me.

I use one occasionally, like for hiking & the sorts but I also know how to use one. I know how to real in a dog even if the dog is pulling the opposite way. That rarely happens though because I also have control over my dogs, therefore they don't pull when I don't want them too.

Wolfsoul brought up a good point, I also got a nice gash on my leg from one of those. It was my brothers crazy dog who I had to babysit. That was the only leash they left me. Good thing I had spares at home.
    The leashes do have warnings on them (or at least the package) stating that you can get cut, even get a finger or limb amputated!!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I don't have the problem of holding onto the lead. My problem is the dogs actually snap the little nylon line that comes out of the handle. I don't understand why nobody else seems to have this problem, my dogs are only 25 and 45 pounds and for the most part trained to heel, until they see a squirrel, and I've seen bigger dogs pull on the leads.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I don't personally like them, I've seen them break too many times, burn people's legs, people drop the handle and either hit the dog or another person with it...I had one previously with my dog, Bruno, and, will never have another one.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Both of my dogs walk on retractable leashes and I've never had a problem controlling either of them. Bailey does like to take off after a squirrel from time to time, but I keep the leash short and she doesn't make it very far.

IMHO, this sounds more like leash training issues moreso than the type of leash. I use a retractable with Maggy and have no problems. I've used the traditional on her too and just prefer the retractable. She likes to go off and sniff things and her retractable leash allows her to do that. If I see something/someone coming then I tighten up the leash so she's close to me. Kids always think she's this sweet little puppy so they run to try and pick her up not knowing that a) she's full grown and b) she bites! I also like the retractable when we cross the streets so I can keep her close to me.

As far as burns and slices, I found that the less expensive retractables with a thin cord tend to burn more than the more expensive that have the wider nylon lead. Retractables probably aren't good for bigger stronger dogs who have the strength to snap them. My little 10 pounder isn't going to snap anything but a piece of string.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    I don't have the problem of holding onto the lead. My problem is the dogs actually snap the little nylon line that comes out of the handle. I don't understand why nobody else seems to have this problem, my dogs are only 25 and 45 pounds and for the most part trained to heel, until they see a squirrel, and I've seen bigger dogs pull on the leads.
    dogs can usually pull on these leads all they want and they usually wont snap.
    but if a dog runs or jumps forwards then that quick jolt is what usually snaps the leash...

There's also the issue of if your dog hits the end of the lead, what kind of damage can occur (whip lash, neck problems). Plus...if a dog is on a retractable leash a lot, they get used to that pressure on their necks and when you go to use a regular leash, they think that pressure=go forward.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by areias
    There's also the issue of if your dog hits the end of the lead, what kind of damage can occur (whip lash, neck problems).

You have the same issue with a regular leash. I mean, Finn is pretty good on leash, now, but, if he sees a squirrel, he bolts. And, it's no easier on his neck than a retractable leash reaching it's full length.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    You have the same issue with a regular leash. I mean, Finn is pretty good on leash, now, but, if he sees a squirrel, he bolts. And, it's no easier on his neck than a retractable leash reaching it's full length.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I was thinking the same thing.
    And, Maggy uses a harness, for that same reason. I think it's the same thing as with the Greenies, accidents are going to happen. Neglect helps things along, but if you watch your dog and your dog is trained, then you're obviously much better off.

My 2 cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes